cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

For those planning on enjoying Alyx with the Index in March 2020, be careful not to plan for too long, lol - time may be running out 😉

Post image

UploadVR just wrote an article:

"Valve Index Full Kit Backorders Approach Half-Life: Alyx Release Window"

Read it here: https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-alyx-february/

May I suggest some nice background music when reading the article? 

https://youtu.be/QkMVscR5YOo

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just tried to revive Stormland, and it works flawlessly, well at least considering the technical aspects (=no errors and I think performance is probably as great as possible). BUT temporal antialiasing (TAA) looks really horrible - like dripping my eyes with liquid butter - a total blur, and jaggies are everywhere with no antialiasing. Fortunately SMAA works like a charm, but does not offer similar image quality as CV1 TAA. Also the game is really a no-go with Index, because I get constant reprojections - like I do using the CV1 - but using the CV1 I don't see them due to ASW 2.0. While Index is like a constant reprojections-in-your-face experience, lol. I think Stormland may look awesome using res 150 - 200% with the Index, but I'm not sure even a 3080 Ti will get me there in 90 fps. Then I could start to cut down more settings, but no - not going to ruin the game doing that - I already did remove real time shadows. 
Instead the game looks and plays totally amazing using the CV1 - it's really like magic - I'd rate the game 10/10 with the CV1 TAA and 6/10 with the Index SMAA.

After testing Stormland I went to play some Boneworks, and the contrast was just mind blowing. Although Boneworks is quite barren and gray compared to Stormland, Boneworks textures are totally off the chart - and I can run that game res 200% at a solid 90 fps. 

Again this confirms that I need two hmds - as my enjoyment of Stormland would be totally ruined using the Index, and I'm sure my enjoyment of Boneworks would be at a much lower level if I had to use CV1. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmm, box signed by Newell, this may be the most perfect room for some Alyx VR I've ever seen  😮  

9a7hoc5f6llt.jpg
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/eatyja/got_a_very_special_gift_from_valve_today/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Once Valve Index Controllers (not called Knuckles anymore btw) are available in Australia and all issues like thumbstick clicking and long term drifting are sorted out, I will def look at buying these.

Knuckles is faster to write, but you're right - I should stick to the now correct name "Index controller", also in case we have some readers who don't know the meaning of "Knuckles". 
I follow (nearly) all posts on Index Reddit, it seems that some get perfect controllers now (especially when ordered separately and not as part of the full kit), while your luck may vary with the full kit. But we don't know how long such "perfect" controllers will last, especially regarding drifting. 
In Boneworks you need to press down the left thumbstick to run, I do wonder if that will trigger a new wave of drifting Index controllers, we'll see. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Hmmmm, a free demo... 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979400/Last_Labyrinth/

Maybe @Shadowmask72 should try it first  o:)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The game is pretty dark from what I've seen. That poor girl. :'(

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The game is pretty dark from what I've seen. That poor girl. :'(

I'm weak - I can probably only resist not trying the demo for a few hours more  :#

No matter the gameplay, not sure the graphics look that good... Especially if the devs serve the raw Quest version for PCVR enthusiasts...  

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I can't get over the fact that the young girl gets totally brutalised in this game (usually by your poor decision making). I'm not being politically correct but I just find it an odd choice. However, I believe it makes the bond between your wheelchair bound character and the girl much more evocative as a result.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Graphics are quite good in Last Labyrinth, I could use Index res 200% and get solid 90 fps, but there weren't many objects in the rooms I visited. She is indeed the most adorable little girl, and maybe especially as a parent you immediately connect with her - she only speaks Japanese (I think) and you can only point with a red laser light at objects (hmd controlled) and nod or shake your head. So you don't really need controllers in-game. And then she dies in horrible ways and you can do nothing but watch. As a parent you'd give your own life to save your kids, so being unable to help the girl is of course the most disturbing part. This is a horror game, and it reminds me a lot of the Saw movies. I don't see myself playing this game, but it was interesting to experience the graphics, gameplay and atmosphere. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw this trailer on Valve Index subReddit, so I guess it'll have Index support - it does look interesting:

https://youtu.be/95kleXaScH8

EDIT: The video seems to have been removed for unknown reasons - it's this game with expected release in Feb 2020:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135850/NearPrime_VR__Net_Burn/