cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
SteamVR has been massively updated - first it did annoy me - but now I think it's great. Basically all (or most) of the advanced settings that you before could not control without accessing the SteamVR desktop app are now integrated in the VR menu. To set res (super sampling) per app is now easier than ever (and now I could lock res 300% in Home, still got solid 90 fps - before ss was adaptive in Home) - and much more:

Introducing SteamVR Version 1.9
"The Settings Update" (1.9.13)

Update Highlights

Today’s update features big improvements to Settings and Desktop, plus continued bug fixes and stability improvements.

SteamVR's new Settings interface offers improved usability and consistency between the desktop and in-headset experience. For instance, many settings that were previously only available on the desktop (such as refresh rate and render resolution) can now be controlled in-headset.

Desktop view now has enhanced performance, improved legibility, and supports multiple monitors.

Full Update Notes

SteamVR Settings

• Settings user interface re-design.
  • Most settings now available on both the desktop and in-headset.
  • Valve Index HMD refresh rate can be changed mid-game, without restarting. (Requires NVIDIA driver version 441, or higher)

SteamVR Desktop View

• Improved multi-monitor desktop support (Windows 10 only).
  • Improved cursor rendering (Windows 10 only).
  • Added experimental user setting to control Desktop scale.
  • Fixed double characters appearing in the desktop view and Steam chat.
  • Fixed backspace not working in the desktop view (Windows 10 only)

SteamVR

• Numerous crash fixes and stability improvements.
  • Improved audio mirroring latency and fixed some cases where the mirror could accumulate a large delay.
  • Moved Performance Graph to main SteamVR status window (right-click)
  • Skip “Advanced Supersampling Filtering” for systems which use their own compositor (e.g. Windows Mixed Reality, Oculus). This fixes some causes of blurriness reported by WMR users.
  • All windows now group together under one icon in the Windows taskbar.
  • Fixed rendering of grid lines in the construct.
  • Fixed loading animation on transition overlay being at the wrong height.
  • Added better error diagnostics when failing to find proper display adapter for new UI.
  • Added block compression to render model textures over 2048x2048.
  • Minor optimization for motion smoothing.
  • Fixed some memory leaks when VR_Init is called repeatedly in long-running applications.
  • Increased the maximum number of overlays to 128.

SteamVR Dashboard

• Minor appearance tweaks.
  • Fixed regression in ComputeOverlayIntersection for Dashboard overlays.
  • Moved dashboard power menu from a tab to a popover.
  • Added haptic bumps with moving on or off of buttons on the dashboard controls.
  • Added experimental user setting to control Dashboard placement and scale.

SteamVR Input

• For games using legacy input: When fetching default bindings, prefer partner site explicit defaults instead of generic legacy defaults
  • When switching bindings, SteamVR now records the previously selected binding in a setting.
  • Action Sets with a higher priority will now correctly override sets with a lower priority.
  • Recent games list in top level controller configuration menu now shows most recent game instead of starting with second most recent game.

SteamVR Home

• Added new colorizer tool to replace the color wheel while holding an object
  • Fixed regression causing desktop view to not show up
  • Fixed particles on wearables to not render for the wearer
  • Changed map labels to go multi-line instead of truncate for a bunch of our maps (Summit Pavilion Remix - Evening, and many others)
  • Change pickup/drop to allow picking up from either trigger or hand close on Index
  • Fixed bug where waving the Index controller around while previewing teleport would cause the teleport to unintentionally happen

Linux:

• Rate-limit attempting to open the tracing filesystem to once every 5 seconds.
  • SteamVR will now attempt to set thread priorities through rtkit (when available).
  • Fixed a vrwebhelper crash that could make the dashboard disappear.
  • Fixed the pairing UI window content not showing up the first time it was opened.
  • Fixed a few behavior quirks in vrwebhelper's desktop windows.
  • Added diagnostics for tracking down rare stuck haptics bug on Linux.

There is a known crash on Linux which is currently being investigated. In the meantime, Linux users may opt into the 'linux_temp' branch. (Right-click SteamVR -> Properties -> Betas, to enable).

Oculus:

• Fixed an issue where controllers may stop tracking too quickly when hidden from view.
  • Fixed IPD value not being correct until changed by the user.

Index HMD

• Max brightness extended to 140.
  • Framerate can be changed without restarting (requires NVIDIA driver version 441, or higher).
    Requires firmware update.

SteamVR Tracking 2.0 Basestations

• Improved reliability of firmware updates, in situations with weak signals or interference.

Note: Vive Pro users experiencing issues with basestation communications may want to reposition their link box.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/3150762393108758897

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

For those planning on enjoying Alyx with the Index in March 2020, be careful not to plan for too long, lol - time may be running out 😉

Post image

UploadVR just wrote an article:

"Valve Index Full Kit Backorders Approach Half-Life: Alyx Release Window"

Read it here: https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-alyx-february/

May I suggest some nice background music when reading the article? 

https://youtu.be/QkMVscR5YOo

Uh-oh - apparently now it no longer says "February 2020" but is completely unavailable - in the US:

vncvlvwu7ad8.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish 😄 - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

hsw1qntc80cg.jpg7dleth9aq331.jpgtrzbgbrszz8c.jpg9cuk9j4qtf9j.jpgg44bgqvauzzp.jpgec7ur5tfe634.jpg8cly9deopp7m.jpgjq0zguokeuya.jpg6qau6sss3y6g.jpgpuy0qvbjp6xt.jpg
Free demo available:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Native Oculus driver support included 😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
One of my favorite VR games just got Index support  ❤️

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

https://youtu.be/viWjIBDSF_k

https://youtu.be/gDV-dOvqKzQ

More about the game here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/658616

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Edit:

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish 😄 - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

hsw1qntc80cg.jpg7dleth9aq331.jpgtrzbgbrszz8c.jpg9cuk9j4qtf9j.jpgg44bgqvauzzp.jpgec7ur5tfe634.jpg8cly9deopp7m.jpgjq0zguokeuya.jpg6qau6sss3y6g.jpgpuy0qvbjp6xt.jpg
Free demo available:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Native Oculus driver support included 😉

Thanks for that mate.  I just tried the Steam demo and it works great with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and 2.0 SS.  I had a hard time figuring out how to use grenades though (pull the pin first idiot, lol!).  I'll probably pick this up from steam since like you say it has Oculus driver support (and is a couple of dollars cheaper as well).  Plus it gives me more headset options later, without the need for Revive.

Unfortunately it no longer supports Vive controllers because the developer said that the Vive trackpads were too inconsistent.  Guess I'll need to wait for Index controllers to become available down-under to try this with my Vive Pro, lol!  Might work with my Cosmos though?  I'll give it a go later.  Thanks again mate.

Edit; Almost works ok with my Cosmos, but not quite right.  I'm pretty sure the developer could fix this.  Actually looks fantastic with my Cosmos btw.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Close, but no cigar... I installed the patch and still got the old warning that my controllers were not supported. Using desktop view I could start the game - had to choose VR mode with a mouse click, but Index controllers were dead. Got an image in solid 90 fps in the Index though (maybe the Steam controller would work, but I really like to get Index controller support). I've informed the devs. 
Game works perfectly using CV1 ss 2.0 though - it has native Oculus driver support, you can just launch it from Oculus Home. It's by far my favorite VR racing shooter (if there's a thing like that) - much better than Thumper 😉
I think Polybius Index res 200%@144Hz probably would be totally like: 

Image result for head nuke

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

8hszoyfoaqoy.jpg
ym1we8c242km.jpg
Related image

😄 

PS. Hint if the bottom pic doesn't ring any bells  o:)

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Does anyone know a way to make Index work with Alien: Isolation VR mod (Mother VR)? I tried it out yesterday, but it stubbornly professes that it can't find an Oculus headset plugged in

Maxxgold
Rising Star

Does anyone know a way to make Index work with Alien: Isolation VR mod (Mother VR)? I tried it out yesterday, but it stubbornly professes that it can't find an Oculus headset plugged in

I had to make a shortcut from the Alien Isolation exe, and run it from the shortcut. I tried everything before that worked. You can also go back a version if nothing works for you.