cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced to link facebook to Oculus or no more friends?

stereoman
Protege
What's the deal with forcing me to add a facebook account to Oculus just to add friends to my Oculus account, I don't even use facebook so why am I being forced all of a sudden?
50 REPLIES 50

bigmike20vt
Visionary

TeraTork7 said:

I am leaving Oculus and I am getting a Vibe

are you getting a rampant rabbit or some other brand?

Nothing wrong with them of course but not quite the same experience as Elite Dangerous 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
They have the Elite Dongerous instead ... it can bring a tear to the eye for sure !

I'm getting bad vibes.

I've got no issue with anti-Facebook opinions, but if at all possible, please avoid the name calling. I don't think the forum rules are suspended just because the target is unlikely to respond.

stereoman
Protege
So now we can't accept new friend requests even through the desktop app unless we link facebook, this is completely out of order!!!

Pacman8030
Expert Protege
They are a Facebook owned company who is selling the Oculus devices for not much profit(if any profit at all). They must be using your Facebook account and headset activity to target ads so they can generate some revenue.

Richooal
Consultant

They are a Facebook owned company who is selling the Oculus devices for not much profit(if any profit at all). They must be using your Facebook account and headset activity to target ads so they can generate some revenue.

Then I will gladly pay $50 more to allow me to just use my Oculus sign in and keep access to my friends list (if I had one). We don't want Facebook going broke now do we?
Most apps these days allow you to remove ads by paying a small amount of money.

RattyUK said:

Sorry, where is all this facebook tat being 'forced' upon me?
Maybe if I was sociable?  Bah Humbug!!!

Facebook used to be about being "sociable", today it is about making money from advertising. Whilst a few people are sensible enough to limit what they put on Facebook, I fear the majority have no idea how many little pieces of information they reveal about themselves everyday. This is all collected by a company, and it's partners, who sell themselves to us as providers of  "social media".
I think we have a generation of kids who don't really understand what "friend" really means. We used to meet people, get to know them and then, maybe, call them friends.
Bah Humbug indeed, rant over.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

PhantomMethos
Protege
They basically just ended multiplayer games on the Quest.  Requiring a Facebook login in a deal break for a lot people.

Pacman8030
Expert Protege
They could just do what Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are doing with their consoles. Charge a yearly fee to play online. The Quest in particular is like one of the mentioned game consoles as it requires no other hardware to run.

Regulus343
Honored Guest
Okay, this has me furious. I got my dad into VR this year and he plays games with me. We first create an Oculus Party on evenings when we play. He informed me tonight that he can no longer send or accept party invites because he doesn't have a Facebook account and does not intend to get one... so I started digging into this. Now we can't use parties like we could before. This is garbage. Thank you for bricking people's devices, Facebook! I'll stop suggesting Rift as a good entry point into VR now. Ugh. It's funny that it was the "social network" company that killed my ability to be social with my dad in VR.

It's really too bad... the hardware is great, but I can no longer in good conscience recommend Oculus.

Blair5
Honored Guest
Tempted to delete my Facebook account instead of linking it, was planning on getting a Quest but not anymore.