cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset and firmware update, the right way

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully this will prevent soft bricks and other hassles:

Most of us will never have any problems but if we do then often a factory reset is the best cure.
At least on something otherwise as limited as the GO.
Together with problems often comes a firmware update.
And since these do their stuff mostly in the background it is easy to miss something.

One thing first: Make sure that your GO and phone are connected to the same WiFI!!
Same for the phone being visible in BT mode!!
Using the GO on the 5GHz WiFi and the phone on the 2.4GHz WiFi is not working as it should!!

1. Firmware updates:
About once a week you should pair your GO with the phone or tablet used to set it up.
Just let them sit together for a while you have dinner or similar.
Only if both devices are paired and connected to the same WiFi it is possible to get and install firmware updates.
Leaving your GO for weeks without ever adding the phone could mean you miss out on vital updates.
In some cases it is advised to restart the GO after a firmware update to complete everything.
Do not restart while a firmware update is still in progress!

2. Factory reset:
Let's face it: With all the ongoing reports of bricked devices one can be hesitant to reset.
At least in theory there is a simple way to ensure a factory reset goes as planned.
The key of course is to follow step one first!
You simply do not want to do a factory reset if there is update pending!!
If you do then this update has to work in the background during the new set up of the GO.
And without the phone or tablet paired for this from the start it is easy to stuff it all up.
Worst case would be if a vital setup part happens while the firmware update tries to change files - brick.
Might also be possible that the block based updates require a fully set up GO to work in the first place.
You see that making sure the GO is updated to latest firmware stuff before attempting a factory reset...
There are many different options to a factory reset on the GO.
Like going into the settings on the GO or using the app on the phone.
The later is prefered as it would make sure that possible updates are checked first.
However, I prefer the classic and low level way.
By going through the recovery for a factory reset I can make sure really nothing on the GO is active and that I don't have to rely on a past boot command to work properly.
But even here I first check for firmware updates...

In case the reset still goes wrong:
Don't panic! The support is still able to fix it once you sent it back.
But there might be the option to do another factory reset if the GO is not booting up.
Enter the recovery manually by holding down the volume down button when starting the GO.
In the menu (using volume to select) use the factory reset option and confirm with a quick press of the power button.
If the firmware was not corrupted then the reset should proceed as normal and with some luck revive your GO.
Untested so far though...
Again I have to stress out to ensure the phone is paired and connected to WiFi.
13 REPLIES 13

vrpauloski
Explorer
Interesting to hear.

shmit1991
Honored Guest
Hi. I was doing a hard reset using the "volume down" + "power button" buttons. when setting up from the phone, everything was fine, but when updating, they turned off and no longer turn on. They don't respond to the power button. When charging is connected, the yellow light starts flashing and that's it. The phone doesn't see them. What can I do to enable them?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to keep the Gallery icon? It stays when I turn off WiFi and reset the factory but sometimes I like going on YouTube but going online gets replaced by TV again (which is completely useless, we should just get rid of that app completely).

Has anybody found out a way to keep gallery from disappearing every time I go on YouTube? I kno I can reset factory settings but it's kinda annoying to have to borrow my dad's phone every time just to watch my videos. Deleting the TV app doesn't do anything since it's still there. Oculus reality is complicated af compared to iphones and computers

DASFREAK
Protege
What is the current headset version?  3.?????