cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Sensor Support for the Rift S

Sterling77
Rising Star
Im starting this thread as other people have had issues with close contact touch controller dead zones - As oculus has mentioned support for external sensors is possible, just there has to be demand for it.  
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook
32 REPLIES 32

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I doubt they will allow you to use external sensors for Rift S now. I've gone back to using CV1 and returned Rift S. I'll wait to see what happens in the future with Rift S, or I'll wait for Oculus Rift 2 and see if inside out has the improvements I'm looking for when it arrives.

jayhawk
Superstar

jayhawk said:

Put it this way - not having extra sensor support is hurting the device sales - and noting that an issue is present should springboard a solution, I can see multiple posts relating to face deadzone. Oculus should be brisk about adding this type of support. 

Put it this way - having inside-out tracking issues is hurting device sales. Adding extra sensor support isn't fixing the main issue.

Inside out tacking is the best way to go - USB throughput is minimal compared to three sensors, the issue discussed in this thread is about deadzone - what issue are you referring to ? It wouldn’t be hard to add support for extras sensors, 

Gee I don't know. That's a tough one. If it didn't have any issues then why are you calling for external sensor support? smh.

CrashFu
Consultant
I disagree with the logic that they won't enable Hybrid Tracking "because it's like admitting that Insight is bad".  

By that logic, they wouldn't have included headphone jacks on any of the newer devices, because "That's admitting that the built-in audio system is bad".   Allowing for add-ons and use of supplemental tech isn't an admission of failure, it just makes your device more flexible, and gives it room to exceed its initial strengths and weaknesses.

And a $400 Rift-S plus one or two Rift sensors is still much, much cheaper than a Vive Pro or Valve Index, so..  even if people got the impression that Hybrid Tracking is necessary for the best experience, it's not going to hurt the device's reputation as The Best VR System For Anywhere Near Its Price.

I think most people will be happy just using Insight anyways, because it's the most convenient by itself, the quickest and easiest to set up, and needs only one USB port.  Hybrid Tracking would just give the people who aren't happy a solution   (that involves buying a sensor or two from Oculus; That's just more money for them!)  and they will be happier with the Rift-S overall.   And as the Insight software improves (and it will!)  maybe some of those people will start to go, "Oh, I don't even need the external sensor any more."

Better to roll that option out soon (or at least promise it )  than to have the Rift-S get stuck with a reputation of bad tracking.  Reputations stick; if people get that into their heads now, then they'll still be saying it even after the Insight software improves.

(For the record, I don't have many issues with Insight, personally.  I never had the usb bandwidth to ever do reliable 360-degree constellation tracking,  so for me Insight is already an improvement.   I might not even bother using hybrid tracking, if it's enabled.. but I still think it's a good idea to have that option.)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
the viewer of the steam has a hybrid operation, in fact I saw that he sells 2 kits one with only the viewer and the controllers and another with the combined sensors. at the marketing level, making the sensors of the old rift work make it so that it cannot be resold, if I am the owner of the old rift and I update myself to the new rift I will certainly not deprive myself of the sensors and consequently a new user who wants to buy a viewer rift will be forced to buy it unused. I wanted to buy the rift but with these problems I buy another pair of sensors and I'm fine, complete coverage of the room at the minimum price. if in the future they will want to implement it well I already have the room ready for the upgrade. sorry for my bad english 

LazyTurtle17
Honored Guest
I believe that oculus should have promoted the use of internal tracking and that it would be advantageous due to the 360 cameras, though the use of sensors as well would have been a very good decision. the blind spots near the headset create issues for me, I recently installed a 3 camera room scale set up and I wanted to purchase the rift s for Christmas but now that all the set up I just finished a month ago is useless I don't feel like I should make the purchase. In my opinion, the lack of sensors is a mistake for the company and they will most likely lose potential clients such as me and a few of my friends in the same situation while also losing money.

Samuvela
Honored Guest
I fully agree. We shouldn't (Along with first EVER vr players) deserve this inside out tracking when the CV1 Did it by itself. It Irratates me that this will never be a thing though

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I believe that oculus should have promoted the use of internal tracking and that it would be advantageous due to the 360 cameras, though the use of sensors as well would have been a very good decision. the blind spots near the headset create issues for me, I recently installed a 3 camera room scale set up and I wanted to purchase the rift s for Christmas but now that all the set up I just finished a month ago is useless I don't feel like I should make the purchase. In my opinion, the lack of sensors is a mistake for the company and they will most likely lose potential clients such as me and a few of my friends in the same situation while also losing money.

I'm a bit confused - You recently installed a 3 camera setup for room scale knowing the Rift S doesn't use external camera's? Or do you have a CV1 for these 3 camera's and that's why you installed them? Here some good advise if you have an Oculus CV1. Just don't get rid of it for a Rift S and pray it lasts until another decent VR headset comes along.

Xer0Pixel
Honored Guest
The only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because of the lack of external sensor support... once they add that I will buy the new rift. External sensors get rid of those dead zones! 

Samuvela
Honored Guest
Just bought a CV1, it is the same, just with another sensor.

Thmoas
Rising Star
I had no issues with Rift S and think the tracking is fine. I came from a 4 sensor setup. Rift S is so much better.

The only reason that Rift S isn't adequqte is if you hold your hands behind your back for prolonged time and expect it to keep track of what you do behind your back. No taking arrows, storing a sword or a gun is not prolonged. This would be very niche movement I don't remember any game needing exept maybe advanced movement in Echo type games however I don't have issues in them.