cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asgard's Wrath framerate issues after latest oculus update

Cyberdennis
Honored Guest
After I downloaded the latest oculus update yesterday I noticed some heavy stutters and ghosting effects when moving and turning via touch sticks, which I definitely haven't had before, I was used from the start to a very smooth performance with graphic detail on "epic". Now it's very laggy even on "low" detail. 

The thing is that I'm not sure if the problem is the game itself, which received a massive update also these days, or the latest oculus update which also seems to have brought some issues concerning bad performance. Everything else runs fine, it's really only AW that seems to perform so badly at the moment. Is anyone else here having this issue too maybe? (Specs: CV1 with 1080ti and i7 8700 + 32 GB)
10 REPLIES 10

RedyEyeZ
Honored Guest
I have the same issue after Oculus update, is unplayable now. Before the update I played on epic perfectly, now is laggy no mathers the settings... I can't play it anymore because motion sickness produced by the tremendous lag.

J_Sunderland
Honored Guest
I have the same problem but since Asgard's Wrath update to v1.2 (I think ) was about the same time as the Ocoulus v.12 update I don't know which one is to blame. It was perfect on medium settings with my 1660ti, now only playable with everything on low which looks really bad. Especially the antialiasing setting seem to matter, "high" causes a much bigger framerate hit than before.

RedyEyeZ
Honored Guest
I played Asgard 1.2 patch with no issues. So Oculus update destroyed the performance on this game (at least in my case).

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
Same here. And graphic custom settings keep reset back to low every time I restart the game...
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

Anonymous
Not applicable
The more I read about these issues you people and myself are having the more confident I am on whats causing it, I am now 100% convinced there is something in the Oculus software/coding that is artificially bottlenecking the utilization of the OVRserver. And/Or GPU/CPU utilization. Because in my testing I have observed that the GPU and CPU never gets fully utilized and especially in Asguard Wrath, The performance headroom stays near 10-0 an all times and regularly drops tons of application frames. Even thought there is plenty of more CPU usage and GPU resources available, It cant be a hardware bottleneck because of how recent these issues starting appearing in the new updates and the amount of new posts about it. 

nschlip
Protege
Hello all - 

Wanted to chime in on this thread. I'm experiencing the same issue in Asgard's Wrath, with severe stutter. It really messed with me, because I was running a GTX 970 in my PC, and though I had to keep settings low/medium, it was playable. a Few weeks later, I decided to splurge and upgrade to an RTX 2070 and a new 1TB M.2 SSD. 

After upgrading my PC, installing Windows 10, Oculus, etc. I was unable to get my Quest to start the Link Beta - it drove me CRAZY. I finally found on the Oculus forums about the v.12 update, and my headset hadn't received it yet. So I turned on PTC (public test channel), which allowed my Quest to get v.12 and the Link Beta now works!

Unfortunately, I also suffer from horrible stutter/frame skipping in Asgard's Wrath. I found a post where some have changed the Physx from "Auto" to "GPU only" in the nvidia control panel, and that DID work at first. However, upon closing the game and coming back to play it later, the sutter is back. I was able to get the sutter to go away a second time, but haven't been able to since. It's just a mess.

I have a support request submitted with Oculus on this, and after 3-4 days they finally responded that they're reviewing the logs I send them.Still no word back, but from their initial response they want to blame the Link Beta - which would normally be understandable however, there's so many other experiencing the SAME issue with different hardware (Rift, Rift S, Quest, HTC Vive, etc.), including different USB cables to the PC.

I hope they fix this soon, as it's unplayable at this point. Very frustrating!

nschlip
Protege
Hey all - quick update. I went ahead and purchased "Call of the StarSeed" on the Oculus store. Granted, it's a very different game from AW and less graphically intensive, BUT CotS plays perfect! Not a single stutter, etc. I know this isn't definitive that it's an AW issue and not Oculus (it could still be some odd bug with the Oculus v.12 update, or still an issue with the AW update, or both), but I hope this is helpful to anyone looking for some thoughts.

nschlip
Protege
Ok, another update - I figured heck with it and bought Stormland to try out too - other than the occasional graphical jitter from loading (probably need to tweak some settings) it was super smooth. Awesome game too btw! So yeah, it's definitely something to do with AW itself - I'm leaning towards an update on the game, and not Oculus - only thing we can really do is wait for a fix.

DariusOctavian
Honored Guest
Same as what others are reporting, ran glassy smooth on epic settings until a few days ago. I noticed severe lag and jerky movement, objects appear to be painting to the lenses at different rates. I thought it might be the new nVidia driver I installed so I rolled it back and it is still unplayable. I have a GTX 1080.