New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SOLVED! Oculus software restart required wont go away, black screen in headset - Rift S

GammaTheBananaGammaTheBanana Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited January 15 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Solution: Sending my headset to oculus worked for me, other solutions in comments

Whenever I connect my headset the software keeps saying that I need to restart my Oculus Software, done so multiple times, still wont go away. If I try to ignore the message then all I will see in my headset is a black screen. The headset is connected and active and the light on the headset is either white or orange. I've tried updating all my drivers (nvidia, usb, device manager, windows, oculus), tried the PTC, went out of the PTC, turned camera settings on and off in windows too. I've sent a message to Oculus Support about a week ago and still have not even recieved an answer... I haven't been able to use my Rift S for more than a month and it only really feels like a waste of money now that I can't even return it since I bought it in June... worked fine then but ever since I tried my rift S after 1.39 I've had this issue.

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,216 Valuable Player
    Well the light in the headset should be white, if orange that reflect a problem like maybe needing a firmware update or it is not being recognized.

Try a manual uninstall of Oculus:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Back up any Oculus content if you want to.  Click here for instructions. (This step is completely optional.)
    3.  Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. For instructions, click here.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from here:
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from here:
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    7. Reboot your computer into normal mode.
    8. Reconnect the computer to the internet.
    9. Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,096
    3Jane
    Great advice,  have bookmarked this in case I ever need to do the same, cheers mate :smile:
  • GammaTheBananaGammaTheBanana Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    Well the light in the headset should be white, if orange that reflect a problem like maybe needing a firmware update or it is not being recognized.

Try a manual uninstall of Oculus:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Back up any Oculus content if you want to.  Click here for instructions. (This step is completely optional.)
    3.  Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. For instructions, click here.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from here:
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from here:
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    7. Reboot your computer into normal mode.
    8. Reconnect the computer to the internet.
    9. Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

Okay, I'll try this tomorrow, I'll let you know if it works then! Thanks in advance!
  • gcbraungcbraun Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This issue has been bothering me for weeks. I already re-installed everything like described above and made sure that I am using USB 3.0 and not USB 3.1 port.

I have tried both the regular and the test-channel software, with no luck.

Anything else I can do?
  • OculusPatrickJamesOculusPatrickJames Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same problem. Since I bought it. I have to get lucky by restarting the damn software up to 10 times until something happens and I don't see the blue light next to hardware anymore. Devices. Normally happens when my computer is restarted. Every. Single. Time! Now when it happens, each time takes more restarts to get this thing going. I now am at the point where I want to send it back.

• MizcreantMizcreant Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same problem here.  I haven't used my headset for over a week.  I go to use it today and it tells me I have a firmware update.  Not wanting to bother, I pickup the headset and I get a black screen.  I can tell the Oculus software isn't even trying to initialize the headset.

I allow the firmware update.  It appears to apply the update from 2.0 to 2.2 and the software closes and restarts.  Surprise, the firmware update is still outstanding and my headset doesn't work. 

I fully removed the Oculus software (properly) and attempted to reinstall.  Now the Oculus software refuses to complete the install and tells me to contact support.  Support is puzzled.  I'm now with a non-functional headset waiting on an email from support. 

Smells like one of the firmware updates bricked my headset.  Either that or something horribly wrong is happening on the Oculus side.
  • scottharmes6scottharmes6 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Don't know what's going on here, but there is obviously an issue.  I am on my third Rift S now.  First one had a scratch so sent it back, now number two and three have had this issue.  It started almost immediately with the second Rift S, and then I went back and forth with support for weeks.  I even did a fresh Windows 10 install on a second PC and then freshly installed Oculus app and tested, resulting in the same issue.  Support were great, and I just got my new Rift S a few weeks ago.  It was working fine, and I reported to support it was working fine, but now, after a firmware update the other night, the same issue is back again.

The fix for me is pretty simple.  I just need to unplug the USB cable, wait a second or two and plug it back in.  The Rift S willthen be fine until I restart my PC again.  Alternatively you can plug the USB cable in after booting your PC.  Pretty simple fixes, but also annoying and unnecessary.  Support do not seem to have any ideas about what is going on.

The worst part is, this new Rift S was working perfectly until a firmware update just a few nights ago.  That seems to have set this issue back in motion.  Very frustrating!
  • OculusSeventyOculusSeventy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Any other solution to try to fix this garbage?
  • ajf311ajf311 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Was working fine. Turned on the pc the next day and stuck in this broken loop. Tried all the trouble shooting tips in the top post if you google the issue, seems to have been around for 6 or so months.  At one point doing a complete uninstall in safe mode and reinstall fixed it, for a couple days..
  • LegendBaconLegendBacon Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone,

As people have mentioned here, this is a USB issue.
    I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

And yet for some reason only a third of them have this issue.

I haven't found the cause yet, but I've found a fix.

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I still don't understand why it only happens on some of our machines though.

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    ~LegendBacon
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone,

I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    ~LegendBacon
    Can you reccomend one?
  • LegendBaconLegendBacon Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    @GammaTheBanana

I can't post links unfortunately, but the adapter I use is from Vivanco and has these specs:
    - Female USB 3.1 Gen.1 A
    - Male USB-C
    - 5Gb/s (very important)
    - 0.1 meters

You should be able to find it. 
    I believe Amazon sells the same kind of adapter with those exact specs, so it should work too.

• guicoreguicore Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Here at the office same issues. I have checked 4x brand new rift s on a gaming laptop (gtx1060).
    Plugged them in.
    Updated firmware to 2.2.0
    Same gaming laptop used
    Same mini displayport (adapter) used
    Same USB3 port used
    Result: 2x work fine and 2x are stuck in the "oculus software restart required" endless loop after pc restart.

After some testing with different adapters i used an USB3 Hub for the USB3 and it seems to work. So it may be an USB issue.
    But why does some work and some not?

We will return the broken devices.
  • TheAccuserTheAccuser Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issues and can't get my Rift S to connect.
  • LockeyNoS7evenLockeyNoS7even Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had this issue and I "solved" it by trying each and every USB port on my PC until I found one which didn't cause this issue on boot.
  • garrus77garrus77 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue since a few months now and I can't make it work, I need help please, thanks.
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    it's happening to me now. only thing I did was install newest Nvidia drivers for my 2080ti which also came with a USBC driver...guessing that is the problem a conflict with the drivers. about to DDU current drivers and reinstall old and report back.
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    I fixed it.
    First download previous driver version from nvidia website.
    DDU current nvidia drivers.
    Then restart. (Disconnect internet so windows on restart won't try to install it's own drivers)
    Then install the previous drivers.
    Then full hard PC reset.
    Fixed.
  • FlyingSquirrelFPVFlyingSquirrelFPV Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Here's what seemed to work for me:  always have the headset usb and displayport cables un-plugged from the PC before booting or restarting.  Launch the software, then plug in.
  • mmmmonsterkillmmmmonsterkill Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Remove all other unneeded USB devices solves the problem at my side
  • g00dby3g00dby3 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same proplem I have had my rift s for 6 or 7 months but I just recently got a pc with usb 3.0 but I have everything working fine except for the video
    Please help I haven't even used it yet
  • nezayernezayer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    anybody have resolved this issue? I have tried everything, and I even went out to buy PCI-E USB 3 card and that didnt even fix the issue
    NerveGear
    nezayer said:
    anybody have resolved this issue? I have tried everything, and I even went out to buy PCI-E USB 3 card and that didnt even fix the issue
    I asked for a new rift s, fixed it for me
  • cornliftercornlifter Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone,

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    ~LegendBacon
    This didn't work for me, althought I used a Pixel 2 USB female -> USBC male adapter.. Said "Usb 3 Required" or something.

What worked is when I tried swapping into every other USB 3.0 slot [ B450 Tomahawk motherboard]. I had the software running after restart with headset unplugged. Let it boot up then plugged in everything once the software was up and it worked. Tempted to send the headset back since I have to get on my knees and play around with which USB to use at what time just to simply get it to connect - EVERY REBOOT. Clearly a USB driver issue, but I'd appreciate my $400 piece of equipment coming with the ability and support necessary to get past starting up. 
  • MaggieLMaggieL Posts: 2
    NerveGear

I had the same issue a few weeks after getting the headset. I had tried to install and unninstall the oculus software but it wasn't the solution. Support gave me these steps to follow in case it helps anyone with the same issue, I basically did all of them to get it working.

"I have some questions, additional steps, and requests for you:

·         Are you leaving your headset plugged in to the computer all the time? The Rift S should be unplugged and stored safely in its box when not in use, along with the Touch Controllers with batteries removed. When you start/restart your PC, the computer will power all the ports at the same time which does not provide enough power for the Rift S. This can lead to display/connectivity issues.

·         Confirm you have the latest Windows update.

·         Confirm you've updated your Graphics drivers. 

·         Update the USB drivers:

1.       Navigate to your Device Manager.

2.       Uninstall all USB drivers.

3.       Restart your computer. This will install the Windows default drivers.

·         Install the latest Oculus drivers. To do this:

1.       Close the Oculus app.

2.       Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.

3.       Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers

4.       Open and run the oculus-driver.exe

5.       Open the Oculus app and then try to connect your headset again.

6.       Restart the Oculus app on your PC computer.

·         Disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power":

1.       Right click the Start menu and select Device Manager.

2.       Scroll down and open the USB section.

3.       Right click the first option and select Update. Wait for this to finish.

4.       Right click the first option and select Properties.

5.       Open the Power Management tab, and uncheck the "Allow this device to turn off" box. The tab might not be there for all entries. If missing, move to the next one.

6.       Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each item in the USB section.

·         Confirm your Camera Permissions are set correctly:

1.       Open your Windows Settings.

2.       Click Privacy.

3.       Click Camera.

4.       Change your "Allow apps to access your camera" setting to "On".

·         Re-install Rift S Sensors:

1.       Open Device Manager.

2.       Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

3.       Uninstall/Remove the Rift S sensor items listed.

4.       Click Scan for Hardware Changes at the top of Device Manager and wait a few minutes for the items removed to return."

• RosherauRosherau Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone,

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    ~LegendBacon
    Tried this, unfortunately it dosnt work for me, i also tried removing that windows update 1909 or whatever it is dosnt work, also uninstalled everythign reloaded, yeah, i also tried every usb port, still cant get it to stick i know there is a fix for this as it helps 1/3 of the people. ill keep trying.