cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just got this one - and we watched it this evening - easily one of the best Spidey movies I've seen (IMDB 7.6): 

Image result for far from home 4k

https://youtu.be/Nt9L1jCKGnE

Maybe not the sharpest 4K ever, but it was great and HDR really made this movie shine - and the boys ages 11 and 15 enjoyed it a lot. Do remember to watch the post-credit scene 😉

- and suddenly I'm even more happy for a book I got last year - maybe I should have waited for 9.8, but this one is pedigree (Oakland), cover is perfectly centered and the book has fresh white pages... 

200620186298thumbJPG624479bc901d76ed7cbdebe0591bb18aJPG

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just ordered tickets for the 3D version tonight in the theater, we're leaving in 30 mins - and packed my Imax, Real 3D and some no-name 3D glasses - some of them have got to work!  😄 

Image result for STAR WARS IX THE RISE OF SKYWALKER 3d poster

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe I'm getting too old, but I kinda felt both connected and disconnected to the new Star Wars movie. Episodes 7 - 9 felt like a repetition of 4 - 6, but maybe that's not bad to create some closure of episodes 4 -6 in order to move on. 

I'd probably rate the movie 6/10. There weren't really any 3D pop-out effects, seems like no-one dares to dive into the huge potential of 3D anymore. 

BTW, just a few thoughts about movie theaters and TVs. After getting the 85" I have not been much to the theater. On my retina the screen in the cinema was larger, but image quality was more blurry. I did not experience sharpness and skin details close to what I often experience in true 4K movies (on discs). Black levels were strikingly worse in the cinema, looked a lot like the gray blacks in the Index, lol. 
Also 24p in the cinema felt very blurry compared to the 1000Hz motion flow in newer TVs. Colors also are way better on the TV.
Pros for visiting the theater were the sound (could feel it in my stomach at times, awesome), the slightly larger screen and the feeling of being present in the auditorium. But modern TVs have come a very long way, my need to revisit the theater anytime soon will be limited. It's probably just a question of time before a great high-res (oled) hmd can provide similar res like in the currently best theaters. Although the Index is great, for now - and in very dark surroundings - Index has too much glare to be considered an optimal solution for movie watching. 

Luciferous
Consultant
It was Ok but a lot of the banter and actor chemistry seemed fake and contrived. The originals just worked. Probably the case of too many chefs cooking the story. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Continuing my journey into intellectual life-enriching warm films, this weekend I've got :blush:  

rw17stgwj2jf.jpg
https://youtu.be/zqUopiAYdRg
0bzegyhd22r9.jpeg
Well, I firmly believe that Overlord may ease my craving for Saints & Sinners and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond - and who doesn't greatly appreciate a WW2 movie with zombies?  😄

https://youtu.be/USPd0vX2sdc

Some also say it's Castle Wolfenstein on film...

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I thought Overlord started good and then got a bit long in the tooth for my liking 5/10 for me. I didn't like IT much either if I'm honest so another 5/10.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I thought Overlord started good and then got to silly for my liking 5/10 for me. I didn't like IT much either if I'm honest so another 5/10.

Probably much the same here - but I hope HDR, 4K and Atmos sound can improve the experience a notch or two. Also after seeing the latest Star Wars movie in the cinema, there's no doubt the image quality is much sharper, and blacks and colors are way better too, when watching 4K movies on a large TV - the build-in motion compensation also improves immersion. 
My 12 year old  son wanted to see IT 2, but the wife just ruined that idea and says he must wait 4 more years, lol - might have to see it alone then, which also may make it better...  

- And thanks for the heads up, seems I'll need some frontal lobe anesthesia before watching any of these movies  o:) Luckily, the mail man just delivered a box of medicine from 2016 - hope it's better than the movies, lol

Image result for Cantine di Ora Amicone 2016

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I didn't see that it was IT 2 you were talking about, I haven't seen that one. As for Overlord, I didn't mean it's silly it's just a bit long in the tooth that's all and maybe a bit silly 😛

kojack
MVP
MVP
I watched Overlord not too long ago. But I can't remember a single thing from it. I think I liked it, but it obviously didn't impact me much.
It's not like it isn't my kind of thing. I'm writing this while wearing a Dead Snow tshirt.

I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, which is kind of a cheaper (but came first) Overlord with russians instead of americans.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I thought Overlord started good and then got a bit long in the tooth for my liking 5/10 for me. I didn't like IT much either if I'm honest so another 5/10.

I'd probably rate Overlord 6.5/10 - sound was really good. But the movie felt kinda slow, maybe budget limited, first and last 15 minutes were awesome though.