New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right controller died on day 1 {Christmas}

clair.smartclair.smart Posts: 22
Brain Burst
So after an amazing hour or so I was in to the Vader immortal episode one when I received the error message "right controller not found" I did all of the obvious stuff like new battery, checked the forum and un-paired and can not pair so I guess it just died after less than 2 hours of use. Sucks,,,,

Comments

• OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 1,307 Oculus Staff
    Hey clair.smart, please create a ticket here noting what you've done thus far today. That way we don't double back over steps and can look towards assisting.
  • clair.smartclair.smart Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Previously created #1021004/26/36

Also noted today white residue on the right controller where the ring joins the hand held portion of the controller and in the battery compartment
    Brain Burst
    Also tried a factory reset on the Quest last night and now cant complete the setup (makes sense) since the right controller can not be found or manually paired
  • Signore_PucciSignore_Pucci Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had the same problem, ticket submitted.  Waiting for factory response.
  • crk12345crk12345 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same issue here - bought for Christmas. Within first hour of playing, the right controller stopped working.  Went to the forums and tried every solution posted multiple times. Noticed this morning a white residue in battery compartment of the right controller only.  I’m assuming this lot of devices are defective.  Very frustrated.  I submitted a ticket yesterday as well.  If these devices need replacement I really hope it won’t be weeks or months to get.  Very bad first impression.  
  • iTesla8iTesla8 Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    Maybe the battery have leaked inside some acid from it and something got short on the logic board circuit.
    Or some liquid got spilled over the controller and got short something inside.
    For people that have buy Oculus locally and are out of waranty, i may make a teardown of controllers with suggestions on what to do to remove the corrosion but this will not solve any burned component which will require resolder/replacement or any other repair to restore the working condition of the inside circuit.
    My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link
    Brain Burst
    No liquid from me.  Maybe battery or maybe something internally but 100% a warranty issue.  1 hour of operation on the first day of ownership.
    Brain Burst
    So while in the cue for "chat" in regards to an update to my trouble ticket submitted yesterday, I started at 85 and at 77 was kicked out due to high call volume,,,
    So sad.
  • StoneyBeatZStoneyBeatZ Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    This same exact thing happend to me, what the hell is oculus selling? One hour later, the battery in the right controller leaked battery acid all on the inside, and my controller died. It came back on after a few hours of cleaning out the acid, but this seems to be a HUGE problem with everybody who recently got an oculus quest. And all you can do is come on here, and wait for oculus to tell you, "please submit a ticket" which isnt helping us play our 500 dollar piece of equipment anytime soon. It takes 3 days just to get an reply from oculus, nevermind during this time of year. They use every holiday as an excuse their taking too long to reply to EVERYBODY . It's the most frustrating thing in the world. Ruined my christmas. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    This makes me so mad, because they just will respond with some generic message, and direct everybody to a ticket. When this is obviously a huge problem for more than one or two people. Something is obviously wrong with the right controller and oculus has known it for a long time, if you do some research this has happend to alot of people. And now there's nothing we can do about it. Now our controller is completely dead. And what will oculus tell me? Please submit a support ticket. Which I've done. But guess what, we cant use our oculus. Probably for weeks too since it takes them forever to even respond. We deserve answers to what is going on with these controllers. Not just submitting stupid support tickets. I'm so pissed. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    We shouldnt have to be tearing down a brand new controller on day 1 because of some bad batteries their sending out. But why is it only the right controller in everybodys? And the right one is the one we need the most which makes it worse. Even if you get it to come back on, and have fun with it for a few more hours, it will shut off again, or the buttons wont be registering like mines. It goes in and out of working now, and none of the buttons will work mid game, like the trigger button. I'm so damn upset its unbelievable. Because everybody seems to be having this problem with the right controller and theres nothing we can do, besides wait for oculus to tell us to submit a ticket, then wait around for 3 days. Oculus should tell us what the hell the problem is. We deserve it since they ruined our christmas. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Now I just spent 70 bucks on a NEW controller 1 day after I opened the box. Everybody is having problems with the right controller. So now I probably have to wait until February until they send it out to me. Ridiculous 
    Brain Burst
    Complete B.S.!!!
    100% warranty item which should be FEDEX 'ed overnight to us unfortunate souls with the failures.  Like you said $500 (ish) paid for what amounts to an expensive unusable trinket!!!
    Hiro Protagonist
    If it was just my controller acting up I wouldn't be so worried, but since it seems to be happening to tons of people, and the right controller only, its making me feel like it's probably gonna happen again. I agree, they should be fed ex overnighting us our controllers since it seems to be an oculus problem. It's not something we all did to our right controllers on xmas at the same time.. we can't even play any games without the right controller. now were screwed for who knows how long. Until they decide to get back to us with that message that just tells us theyll try to get back to us in about 2 days? It's such BS.  
    NerveGear
    After two responses from Oculus with troubleshooting steps that haven’t worked they are now saying they need to look into this further and will get back to me in 3-4 business days.  No apology, no offer of sending out a new controller while they figure this out.  The school break will be over before this is resolved.  
    Art3mis
    It is possible that the problem can be related to the batteries that come in the box, so to prevent this to happen don't use them but instead buy new ones, i have personally ordered rechargable Panassonic Eneloop, i heard good feedback from other users.
    Also i have found out the battery contact is bad, tested left controller only took out the battery and inserting back it was not working only after i cleaned the battery contacts on itself and inside controller with wool and alcohol it started to work again, too bad they did not add some gold plating for good contact of the battery.
    My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link
    Hiro Protagonist
    But why is this happening to right controller only? And the speed in which oculus is handling this is absolutely ridiculous. 
    Art3mis
    But why is this happening to right controller only? And the speed in which oculus is handling this is absolutely ridiculous. 

Maybe because we use right controller more often, which as a result eats more energy from the right one.
    The batteries could have been exposed to different temperatures which may damage them, who knows how much months they were in that box from the launch date.
    Let the users tell us what controller they use more often and see if this is related.
    P.s. for the info i m an ordinary Oculus user with experience as a 3rd party technician in iPhone field so i only want to help you guys, and i hope i have shed some light on this problem.
    Hiro Protagonist
    This happened 1 hour into opening the box.  Then I come on line and see I'm not the only one it happened to on xmas. Not even the second or third one this has happend to. So that tells me it's a problem. Not just something I did wrong. More and more people are coming here saying their controllers stopped working after only an hour of use. 

Art3mis
    It is not excluded also this.
    1. there is a factory defect.
    2. all this people who complain are a bunch of trolls sent here by competitors to damage Oculus, because their products are sold like hot dog at cheaper price.
    I m sorry if i say the second but everything is possible so i appologize if i offended some real human!
    I have buy my Oculus 5 days ago and i don't face anything like this, most important i even could not buy it officially from site my country is the deepest hole in the world, i found it locally probably was stolen from Europe and sent here so i imagine how much time those battery wre kept without use and they are still at full charge.
    Big thanks for Oculus i m impressed with their products!
    NerveGear
    Has anyone gotten a resolution from
    Oculus or even a confirmation from them of a new controller being shipped out?  I’m so angry and feel like we are being completely ignored. I started my ticket on Christmas and they still can’t confirm my controller will be replaced 
    Brain Burst
    Zero resolution here. Just a very frustrating wait,,,
    Brain Burst
    Day 6 is coming to an end with nothing from OCULUS,,,
  • cohomancohoman Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I was chatting yesterday night for over 1 hour trying everything to get the right controller to update its firmware and was also told to put in a ticket and wait 3-4 days for an email response to give them time to investigate. I suspect Oculus is trying to determine if this is a software issue or hardware defect (or both) before they send out a fix. In the meantime, my son has a useless Christmas present.