New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

RIGHT CONTROLLER, 1ST DAY, like everyone else.

StoneyBeatZStoneyBeatZ Posts: 67
Hiro Protagonist
After about an hour into playing our new oculus quest, our RIGHT controller stopped working. No LED light, nothing. Like oculus would tell us, we took out the batteries that they sent with it, let them sit out for 5 minutes, put them back in, unpaired, paird, nothing. We looked online and what a surprise, LOTS of people are having problems with their right controllers also. I JUST got this for my wife for christmas, and 1 hour into playing it, it stops working. Now we cant even use it without the right controller. So now I went and spent ANOTHER 70 bucks for 1 right controller, that will probably do the same thing when it gets here since it seems to be happening to a shit ton of people. Some product. Lots of people reporting day one right controller stopped working. Now what do I do, I know oculus will just tell me to request a support ticket, and all that, but all that did was send me an automated email saying they wont even get back to me for about 2 days. Lol, so I cant even look forward to any type of play for 2 days at least. So now what do I do? Wait for god knows how long for my new controller to come? We deserve an explanation to what's going on, oculus MUST know because you can google this exact issue for a year ago and they said they were aware and working on an update to fix it. Well, this until was manufactured in august 2019, this problem is still happening to brand new units? This is really troubling me. Especially the speed in which they're handling this issue, nothing seems to be getting done about it on my end, so the whole time I'm waiting around I'm just feeling like i wasted 570 bucks. Cuz I have no oculus and no answers from oculus. Any other company would be like, jesus all these people are having the same problem, maybe send out some type of mass email to your users saying you're aware of the right controller not working issue and are going to fix it and make it right for us paying customers. How can you sell something that stops working on the first day, and not get back to us for 2 days with an answer. It takes longer for you guys to respond than it does for your product to stop working. 

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,863 Volunteer Moderator
    Shouting out on everyone else's thread and creating one just for yourself isn't going to help on a community forum. We are all users just like you. Its the holiday period, these things happen. You should of been here on the release of the Rift CV1 ;) you know what I am going to say so I won't say it (support). Please try to chill, nothing is going to be resolved by ranting to the choir.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• StoneyBeatZStoneyBeatZ Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your telling me to chill because this isnt happening to you on the first day you bought it. And its NOT just me it happened to so you dont think we deserve an answer or some help? What kind of community likes to tell me I'm spamming instead of helping. If I got an answer I wouldn't be posting everywhere. I'm pissed I'm getting no help and my 5pp dollar product stopped working on the first hour I opened the box, I'm sorry. You dont expect people to be upset about it? You're just throwing in our face the better product you have and telling us to chill? Lol is this for real? Is this the help you get in this community? Should have bought a rift s or whatever you have? That's your advice? 
    Hiro Protagonist
    This isnt spam this is a customer who paid just like you. Your not special 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I want oculus to come on here and explain it to me, I dont need you to come here and tell me to chill if you're not going to help. This is an issue happening to many people on the first day they get it, and all people tell me is go to support like I haven't done that already. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dont tell me I'm spamming when I'm just a dude who paid 570 bucks for something that I cant use, you would be pissed to, especially if you came on oculus forum for help and I'm sitting there telling you to stop spamming and you should have gotten the rift. Lol what a joke. Some help and community. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    You're the one seeking out my comments and taking the time to read them and even more time to reply to me, and all for nothing cuz you're not helping. Just telling me to do something we all already did, and telling us the better product you have that we should have gotten. If you're not helping, dont even reply. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your word isnt the almighty final word buddy. Sorry. Lol I know you think so with that volunteer moderator patch you got going on, but you're not oculus. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    We can all be volunteer moderators and go on random peoples thread with our moderator badge and tell people to chill like the forum policeman lol, I'm looking for help and answers and if you dont have them im not talking to you or want to hear from you. 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    edited December 2019
    Your word isnt the almighty final word buddy. Sorry. Lol I know you think so with that volunteer moderator patch you got going on, but you're not oculus. 
    Yes he’s not Oculus, he’s a user of Oculus products who gives up his spare time to moderate and help other users on this forum. He didn’t say that you should have got a Rift btw, he also owns a Quest. He was just comparing launch of the Rift CV1.

The issue your having is probably effecting a minority of units, they must have sold around 2million by now, possibly more. Most owners have no issues, but unfortunately yes there will be some that do.

If you’re having a technical hardware issue with your unit the best thing is to just work with Oculus to get it resolved, venting on this forum isn’t going to get you anywhere. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Going to oculus support was the first thing I obviously did and got no help obviously so I figured, let me go to the forums for some help since sometimes I see oculus will answer people there, and just as I expected in a forum, you'll get no help, just people telling me that it's not happening to them, or what I should have got, then people coming to their defense but still not helping the person who needs help. All the things you're telling me I've tried, so I came here. So now what should I do? 
    A little patience is all I'm saying. We are like you and no different. We are oculus product users. We get frustrated trust me. Oculus support will come through but it is the holidays, I and others here cannot help with a broken controller only support can I'm afraid.

Hiro Protagonist
    The thing that kills me is I'm not the only one this is happening to on Christmas,  the first day, ruined her Christmas. And I'm not getting help. We pretty much csnt use this at all for at least a few days now im feeling. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    If you google this issue, tons of results come up, so it's an actual issue is what I'm saying. It's not just my controller broke. Its brand new, and other people are having the same issue with the same controller. Always the right. So it definitely is an issue. 
    I feel your pain, my kids got a ps4 last year that wouldn't switch on, had to wait a week to get it replaced. Think I was more upset than them. Hundreds of thousands of oculus headsets will have been sold this time of year and sadly it seems some have got past QC. Hang in there, they'll get to you asap.

• Storm_04_Storm_04_ Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    i also got the oculus quest, i got it on Christmas and i cant even use it because it wont pair with anything and i have tried all the tricks with resetting phones to factory resetting my quest even restarting my internet. nothing works and i have tried to many different phones.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Welcome to the christmas club. We cant use our oculus. Just look forward to submitting a "ticket" to support, then getting that famous automated email saying they wont be getting to you for another 2 days. So enjoy doing nothing with your oculus in the meantime. It might turn back on for a few, but the trigger button and oculus button wont work, then you wont be able to do anything pretty much again. So were pretty much screwed. Not enjoying this 500 dollar toy. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Actually 573 dollars now that I had to buy another controller since thay seems to be my only help right now. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oculus will just tell me, take the batteries out, put them back in, ok now send a ticket. 
    NerveGear
    my problem is not with the controller it just wont pair any phone so i am just stuck the screen with the code at the bottom right that doesnt work.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah because something is wrong with pairing. My trigger button or any button doesnt work when the controller decides to work. Then it will just say right controller not found. Either way we cant use our oculus, and nobody is getting around to helping us anytime soon. So what a waste of money for however long oculus decides to get around to us. 

• clair.smartclair.smart Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    OCULAS!!
    Affect change,,, it isn't just 1 or 2 people.  The controllers are failing either thru the batteries you procured or the controllers failing themselves,,,

Your companies reputation is at risk with your failure to act expediently,,
    NerveGear
    well good luck to you all to fixing you problems. Merry Christmas 
    Hiro Protagonist
    this is from 6 months ago, and oculus WAS AWARE of it. And they are still selling headsets with this same problem and the same controllers? This is not a new problem. Oculus NEEDS TO FIX THIS ASAP. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    All they ever tell you is to create a ticket, how about creating a solution to the problem hundreds of people are having? Or at least addressing the issue? 
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    So now I went and spent ANOTHER 70 bucks for 1 right controller, that will probably do the same thing when it gets here since it seems to be happening to a shit ton of people.
    I think that's highly unlikely to happen. I own the original Rift, Rift S, and 2 Quests and none are having this issue. Lots of people who are having the same issue you're having are expectedly Googling for solutions and finding the same thread as you, which is why I'm not surprised to see so many reports.

Myself, I had an issue with the random white flashes that were affecting close to 90% of Rift S units when the product first got shipped. Oculus took their time to fix it (close to 2 months), and some of us were reasonably upset during the wait as there were no updates coming from anyone about how far they were from releasing a patch. 

It was amazing volunteers like Techy111 who came through with assurances that Oculus is working on it, and that their support is a far cry from the circus it was in the early days. And it got fixed.

Christmas closures and defective products are gonna happen in any industry. It sucks when it happens to you - I know it cause I'm currently dealing with the controller issue that Valve Index suffers across the board. And this is for a fifteen hundred dollar headset (CAD - taxes, shipping and customs included), so yeah, when I opened my box and tried my controllers, it sucked for a first few min.

What helped was understanding that patience is the name of the game when stuff like that happens. At first I thought about raining brimstone on the forums, but that just makes me worked up and produces no faster outcome.

Ultimately, if I let stuff like that ruin my Christmas, I'm effectively giving away a control over my emotional well-being to someone else. I can't control what Oculus (or Valve) do with their fulfillment funnels, but I do have control over how I feel about them. I can invest energy in anger and frustration, or just enjoy the time with the people I love and deal with the support after the holidays.

Ultimately that's what I chose to do instead.

As an aside, I can guarantee you that a month after the controller is fixed, you'll be having so much fun in the VR, this will seem like a very distant hiccup =)

Hope this helps
    Hiro Protagonist
    How can so many people be having the same right controller issue? Not the left, not a headset issue, a right controller all doing the same thing? You would think oculus would know what's wrong since it's been happening for at least 6 months, and address the issue. Instead were sitting around for days not playing it... this isnt a great first impression is all I'm saying. Even if virtual reality is great. The fact that I spent 500 bucks on something that isnt working 2 hours later, is pretty damn ridiculous. And I'm gonna warn as many people as possible about this right controller issue until it gets fixed because I dont want people wasting their money on something that doesnt work like I did. 
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    How can so many people be having the same right controller issue? Not the left, not a headset issue, a right controller all doing the same thing? You would think oculus would know what's wrong since it's been happening for at least 6 months, and address the issue. Instead were sitting around for days not playing it... this isnt a great first impression is all I'm saying. 
    I feel your pain bro.

This may be a silly question, and I'm guessing you probably already tried it (but I haven't seen it in the discussion above so it's worth asking) - did you try throwing in a fresh pair of Duracells?

I can't remember which one, but one of the more recent headsets I got came with a pair of batteries where one was practically DOA. No lights, no vibes - nothing!

I threw in a new Duracell and then had to re-run the controller pairing cause it conked in the first few min of use, so the controller wasn't even registering. That fixed the issue. The original batteries are shite.

I know you said everyone seems to be having an issue with the right controller, but I just found a separate thread where everyone is complaining about only their left one not working. I'm wondering if people are simply finding the thread that corresponds with their specific problem.

If no cigar, then it sounds like a manufacturing flaw. My best guess, and that's all it is - a guess, is that it's probably not occurring at the scale that would cause them to halt production. Either that, or they find simple solution(s) to enough of the individual cases, like different batteries. I'm just guessing here though
  • Pacman8030Pacman8030 Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had mine for a month, play it every day, and had no problems. I think you're trolling. If not, what are forum users gonna do about it? Contact support for a replacement. It's under warranty. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah man, we tried everything. Taking batteries out, putting them in after 5 minutes, after an hour even. Sometimes the controller comes on, but then none of the buttons will work. Then it will say right controller not found again. I already paid another 70 bucks for a replacement, I'm just hoping it's not gonna do the same thing since this doesnt seem to be isolated to just my controller, it's happening to numerous right controllers. I feel like it's a software issue