cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIGHT CONTROLLER, 1ST DAY, like everyone else.

StoneyBeatZ
Expert Protege
After about an hour into playing our new oculus quest, our RIGHT controller stopped working. No LED light, nothing. Like oculus would tell us, we took out the batteries that they sent with it, let them sit out for 5 minutes, put them back in, unpaired, paird, nothing. We looked online and what a surprise, LOTS of people are having problems with their right controllers also. I JUST got this for my wife for christmas, and 1 hour into playing it, it stops working. Now we cant even use it without the right controller. So now I went and spent ANOTHER 70 bucks for 1 right controller, that will probably do the same thing when it gets here since it seems to be happening to a shit ton of people. Some product. Lots of people reporting day one right controller stopped working. Now what do I do, I know oculus will just tell me to request a support ticket, and all that, but all that did was send me an automated email saying they wont even get back to me for about 2 days. Lol, so I cant even look forward to any type of play for 2 days at least. So now what do I do? Wait for god knows how long for my new controller to come? We deserve an explanation to what's going on, oculus MUST know because you can google this exact issue for a year ago and they said they were aware and working on an update to fix it. Well, this until was manufactured in august 2019, this problem is still happening to brand new units? This is really troubling me. Especially the speed in which they're handling this issue, nothing seems to be getting done about it on my end, so the whole time I'm waiting around I'm just feeling like i wasted 570 bucks. Cuz I have no oculus and no answers from oculus. Any other company would be like, jesus all these people are having the same problem, maybe send out some type of mass email to your users saying you're aware of the right controller not working issue and are going to fix it and make it right for us paying customers. How can you sell something that stops working on the first day, and not get back to us for 2 days with an answer. It takes longer for you guys to respond than it does for your product to stop working. 
53 REPLIES 53

Storm_04_
Explorer
my problem is not with the controller it just wont pair any phone so i am just stuck the screen with the code at the bottom right that doesnt work.

StoneyBeatZ
Expert Protege
Yeah because something is wrong with pairing. My trigger button or any button doesnt work when the controller decides to work. Then it will just say right controller not found. Either way we cant use our oculus, and nobody is getting around to helping us anytime soon. So what a waste of money for however long oculus decides to get around to us. 

clair_smart
Protege
OCULAS!!
Affect change,,, it isn't just 1 or 2 people.  The controllers are failing either thru the batteries you procured or the controllers failing themselves,,,

Your companies reputation is at risk with your failure to act expediently,,

Storm_04_
Explorer
well good luck to you all to fixing you problems. Merry Christmas 

StoneyBeatZ
Expert Protege
uc0bg8qbugwv.jpgthis is from 6 months ago, and oculus WAS AWARE of it. And they are still selling headsets with this same problem and the same controllers? This is not a new problem. Oculus NEEDS TO FIX THIS ASAP. 

StoneyBeatZ
Expert Protege
All they ever tell you is to create a ticket, how about creating a solution to the problem hundreds of people are having? Or at least addressing the issue? 

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

So now I went and spent ANOTHER 70 bucks for 1 right controller, that will probably do the same thing when it gets here since it seems to be happening to a shit ton of people.

I think that's highly unlikely to happen. I own the original Rift, Rift S, and 2 Quests and none are having this issue. Lots of people who are having the same issue you're having are expectedly Googling for solutions and finding the same thread as you, which is why I'm not surprised to see so many reports.

Myself, I had an issue with the random white flashes that were affecting close to 90% of Rift S units when the product first got shipped. Oculus took their time to fix it (close to 2 months), and some of us were reasonably upset during the wait as there were no updates coming from anyone about how far they were from releasing a patch. 

It was amazing volunteers like Techy111 who came through with assurances that Oculus is working on it, and that their support is a far cry from the circus it was in the early days. And it got fixed.

Christmas closures and defective products are gonna happen in any industry. It sucks when it happens to you - I know it cause I'm currently dealing with the controller issue that Valve Index suffers across the board. And this is for a fifteen hundred dollar headset (CAD - taxes, shipping and customs included), so yeah, when I opened my box and tried my controllers, it sucked for a first few min.

What helped was understanding that patience is the name of the game when stuff like that happens. At first I thought about raining brimstone on the forums, but that just makes me worked up and produces no faster outcome.

Ultimately, if I let stuff like that ruin my Christmas, I'm effectively giving away a control over my emotional well-being to someone else. I can't control what Oculus (or Valve) do with their fulfillment funnels, but I do have control over how I feel about them. I can invest energy in anger and frustration, or just enjoy the time with the people I love and deal with the support after the holidays.

Ultimately that's what I chose to do instead.

As an aside, I can guarantee you that a month after the controller is fixed, you'll be having so much fun in the VR, this will seem like a very distant hiccup 😃

Hope this helps

StoneyBeatZ
Expert Protege
How can so many people be having the same right controller issue? Not the left, not a headset issue, a right controller all doing the same thing? You would think oculus would know what's wrong since it's been happening for at least 6 months, and address the issue. Instead were sitting around for days not playing it... this isnt a great first impression is all I'm saying. Even if virtual reality is great. The fact that I spent 500 bucks on something that isnt working 2 hours later, is pretty damn ridiculous. And I'm gonna warn as many people as possible about this right controller issue until it gets fixed because I dont want people wasting their money on something that doesnt work like I did. 

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

How can so many people be having the same right controller issue? Not the left, not a headset issue, a right controller all doing the same thing? You would think oculus would know what's wrong since it's been happening for at least 6 months, and address the issue. Instead were sitting around for days not playing it... this isnt a great first impression is all I'm saying. 

I feel your pain bro.

This may be a silly question, and I'm guessing you probably already tried it (but I haven't seen it in the discussion above so it's worth asking) - did you try throwing in a fresh pair of Duracells?

I can't remember which one, but one of the more recent headsets I got came with a pair of batteries where one was practically DOA. No lights, no vibes - nothing!

I threw in a new Duracell and then had to re-run the controller pairing cause it conked in the first few min of use, so the controller wasn't even registering. That fixed the issue. The original batteries are shite.

I know you said everyone seems to be having an issue with the right controller, but I just found a separate thread where everyone is complaining about only their left one not working. I'm wondering if people are simply finding the thread that corresponds with their specific problem.

If no cigar, then it sounds like a manufacturing flaw. My best guess, and that's all it is - a guess, is that it's probably not occurring at the scale that would cause them to halt production. Either that, or they find simple solution(s) to enough of the individual cases, like different batteries. I'm just guessing here though

Pacman8030
Expert Protege
I had mine for a month, play it every day, and had no problems. I think you're trolling. If not, what are forum users gonna do about it? Contact support for a replacement. It's under warranty.