cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:
... I ended up using res 150%, which did increase stuttering compared to res 100%, but away from planets and stars I often got 90 fps - and res 150% did look better than 100%. 

@RuneSR2 - what kind of a rig do you have? As in what GPU/CPU combo?

It's all in my sig - you have a faster gpu than mine - I have a heavily oc'ed "MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed)" - using an i7 7700K cpu (4.5 Ghz) with 16GB 3200 MHz mem (going from 2400 MHz to 3200 MHz gave me nearly 10% more cpu speed in 3D Mark processor tests). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So Space Engine is 5GB containing the whole universe, but the free DLC texture pack "Earth HD" is 12GB!!??  😮 Then again, not sure I even seen Earth like this before...

xjnhkdwg2q2q.jpg
oqg4ilu83i0u.jpg
996pa87wb62a.jpg
k012rf2y3fsx.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

So Space Engine is 5GB containing the whole universe, but the free DLC texture pack "Earth HD" is 12GB!!??  😮 Then again, not sure I even seen Earth like this before...

Back in 2016 Google Earth's database was around 3 petabytes.
X-Plane 11 is 60GB.

So 12GB is pretty good. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like Indices aren't the only lcd hmds plagued by inverted pixel lines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/egexas/horizontal_pixel_inversion_oculus_rift_s/

This may be another reason to still like the CV1, although CV1 does have some serious SDE lines too 😉 Maybe silly, but I like to have a backup - just bought me a spare refurbished CV1 today, if I don't ever get to use it, maybe I'll put it in a display some day, lol. 

Evileyes
Rising Star
Thanks for the heads up RuneSR2, PURCHASED!
i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

I've owned 8 different headsets over the post 2 years and I never encountered that issue. Maybe my eyes are just bad (which they kind of are actually - definitely getting worse every year).
Is this just due to LCD orientation, or is there another reason why some HMDs have this problem?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

I've owned 8 different headsets over the post 2 years and I never encountered that issue. Maybe my eyes are just bad (which they kind of are actually - definitely getting worse every year).
Is this just due to LCD orientation, or is there another reason why some HMDs have this problem?

It's hard to tell without having access to test several hmds. According to Valve all Indices may show the lines to some degree. If you don't see them, try to adjust column correction from 0 to either -10 or +10, then you should be able to see them. 
I'm using new glasses inside the Index, I consider my sight razor-sharp, which may not be a good thing. Normally I ask if those who can't see the inverted vertical pixels lines are able to see the very faint horizontal lines in the Index and the hidden dot pattern in colors like red and orange - if not, then a person may not be able to see the vertical lines either. If you can see the dot pattern and the very faint horizontal lines, and you still can't see the vertical lines, then I'll start to believe you've got a really great hmd. Still you should be able to see the vertical lines by changing values for column correction. 

You can find more info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cjhndo/index_headset_vertical_banding_through_the_lense...

If I could completely get rid of the now very faint inverted vertical pixel lines, the Index would really be perfect (I'm using values -7 for left eye and -8 for right eye regarding column correction). Then again, CV1 has much worse SDE, but CV1 has a constant SDE, while the inverted pixel lines only are seen occasionally (depending on the color and maybe brightness etc.). Unfortunately this means I can't help but to often look for the lines and thereby reduce immersion. I didn't notice the pixel lines when playing Synth Riders and Boneworks the last time, but I often notice them in Fujii, the latter probably due to the large even-colored surfaces and lack of real textures. 

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:just bought me a spare refurbished CV1 today, if I don't ever get to use it, maybe I'll put it in a display some day, lol. 

Where did you buy it, and how much was it?
The freedom of wireless is absolutely vital for me, and lately I've been playing mainly 360 games, so sadly my Reverb is gathering a bit of dust, so I'm looking for a cheap backup unit in good condition.
..my CV1 cable is still working perfectly, but alas my TPcast cable started acting up causing green flickering lines, so I'm getting a replacement cable (still being sold). I can migitate the problem by twisting the cable a bit at a certain place, but taking the hmd off/on a couple of times makes it reappear. 😞
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

RuneSR2 said:just bought me a spare refurbished CV1 today, if I don't ever get to use it, maybe I'll put it in a display some day, lol. 

Where did you buy it, and how much was it?
The freedom of wireless is absolutely vital for me, and lately I've been playing mainly 360 games, so sadly my Reverb is gathering a bit of dust, so I'm looking for a cheap backup unit in good condition.
..my CV1 cable is still working perfectly, but alas my TPcast cable started acting up causing green flickering lines, so I'm getting a replacement cable (still being sold). I can migitate the problem by twisting the cable a bit at a certain place, but taking the hmd off/on a couple of times makes it reappear. 😞

$170, free shipping, coming all the way from Estonia, but they're part of the EU. Got it through eBay.de or eBay.co.uk. Just the hmd and cables, don't think I need more sensors and Touch for now.

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

According to Valve all Indices may show the lines to some degree. If you don't see them, try to adjust column correction from 0 to either -10 or +10, then you should be able to see them. 

I consider myself very lucky. Only now that cranked this value to the max was I able to see it. But even then barely so.

That said, my eyes aren't quite what they used to be. At the ripe age of 45, I still have perfect vision in terms of clarity, but my ability to focus up close is gone (not an issue - while in VR, the lenses in our eyes focus on the same distance regardless of the virtual distance of the object - presently VR can only simulate a triangulation parallax).

Also, my retinas aren't as reactive to fast changes as they used to be - I see no difference between 80 and 120 Hz. Maybe that affects one's ability to see inverted pixel lines too?

If so, I guess the simple solution is to get old, lol 😄