cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest and random WIFI lost issues

JohSm67
Rising Star
Hi,

Some people are reporting that they get "Wifi connection is lost" randomly during usage! So do I....

I have not been digging to deep in to this yet.
But when checking around in forums there are some reports telling you that it might occur when you are using the same SSID on dualband (2,4 & 5 GHz) wifi routers / AP's! (Or if it's simply occuring if it switches between AP's)

I'm using like 4 Ubiquiti Unifi AP's in the house with a Cloudkey controller.
It's feels like it's working ok, have not seen this on other WIFI devices in my setup. But it could simply happen in the background on other devices. 

The Oculus Quest seems to loose the connection and reestablish it for me randomly, the closest AP is only like 2 meters from the Oculus Quest.
So it's abit annoying when information popup randomly during gameplay. (Yesterday while streaming to FB)

Any one else been experience it and found a solution for it? Known issue with Oculus?

I will test to create a dedicated SSID using the 5GHz band for all AP's only, to see if it helps and might be related to using the same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz.
If that do not help, I will try to use a Single AP using same SSID on 2,4 & 5 GHz, to see if it could be relate to switching between AP's.
Last test would be to use one SSID on the 5GHz band and a singel dedicated AP.

This will take some time to test as it's randomly occuring, so any other feedback on the issue from you out there would be nice!

By the way, are there any way to extract a local WIFI / Event log, from the Oculus Quest to investigate it easier?

Regards
Johan
JohSm
92 REPLIES 92

KarstenS80
Adventurer
So I have found an event in the log:

Login to my Powerline with 2,4 GHz:

19.12.19 19:54:27 [fritz.powerline] WLAN-Gerät hat sich neu angemeldet (2,4 GHz), 192 Mbit/s, PC-192-168-188-26, IP 192.168.188.26, MAC 2C:26:17:4B:39:6E.

AP-Steering from Powerline 2,4GHz to FritzBox 5GHz:

19.12.19 19:54:32 WLAN-Gerät wurde umgemeldet (AP-Steering): Automatischer Wechsel des WLAN-Gerätes OculusQuest, IP 192.168.188.26, MAC 2C:26:17:4B:39:6E zur verbesserten Datenübertragung (von fritz.powerline zu fritz.box, Grund: Verbindung zu schlecht).

And the Quest does a Logout:

19.12.19 19:54:33 WLAN-Gerät hat sich abgemeldet (5 GHz), OculusQuest, IP 192.168.188.26, MAC 2C:26:17:4B:39:6E.

So it doesn't just loose the connection. It actively do a log out for some reason.

ishahmael
Honored Guest
Just got my quest and I'm having the same issue.  Really hoping for an update from Oculus soon.  I've had my Orbi mesh network for years and it is far and away the best router I've had.  Never had the slightest blink in wifi connectivity.  I don't see why I'd have to suddenly be concerned about my router when I've had hundreds of devices connect over the years without issue.  I hope to hear news of an update soon.  

lin_lancaster
Honored Guest
I'll echo what Hnter2200 said - I've got a Netgear XR700 router and wifi to the quest drops all the time even when nothing else on my network does.  I get the same “Network Authentication” error he does.  But all I have to do is turn wifi off and then back on and I'm reconnected.  These mesh networks aren't uncommon these days and Oculus should make it work. 

Kissenschlachte
Explorer
You may want to vote on these related issues:
  • oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/38705110-fix-bandsteering
  • oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/38602876-5ghz-wifi-lock-toggle

ZombiesMustDie
Honored Guest
I opened an issue, as I completely agree - this should just work.  So frustrating having multi-player games messed up Quest disconnecting randomly and not successfully reconnecting.

For anyone interested, I have a somewhat inexpensive workaround.
I used a $25 mini-router (TPLINK-WR802), wired it into the nearest Orbi satellite* and created a second wireless network (using a separate IP range - 192.168.0.1 versus 192.168.1.1 for main network). 
Within the TP-Link, I set the broadcast width to 40mhz (which is 5G).

Connected both Oculus Quests and chromecast to the new network, and now network as well as casting to chromecast work reliably.

1. The TPLINK-WR802 can be configured as a hotspot router, so I also could have just connected it to the Orbi wifi instead of plugging it in.  This is a cool device to have around if you need to create your own wireless network).
2. Chromecast install indicated 5G is required for setup, so I chose 5G, even though some users suggested 2.4Ghz is more reliable.

pvp_legend27
Honored Guest
I really wish that they would just take a look and resolve the issue

Nomgis1
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue with TP-Link DECO mesh network setup. It's dropping connection constantly. I keep have to go to settings and reconnect nearly every time. PLEASE OCULUS FIX THIS!!!!!

a2jack
Honored Guest
Same problem on my Quest . WiFi dropout.  (RF guy here,)

I believe quest has either poor antennas ,or a receiver that lacks sensitivity.
5g, which every thing in the house is on,  is unusable on the quest.

Maybe software will tweek the receiver, but for now 2.4 wifi only . a2

BentMyWookiee
Honored Guest
This wasn’t an issue until release 6 or 7 (can’t remember exactly which one).  Prior to that, I had zero issues with my Orbi router and satellite.  Since that release, it constantly disconnects.

kuja74
Honored Guest

This wasn’t an issue until release 6 or 7 (can’t remember exactly which one).  Prior to that, I had zero issues with my Orbi router and satellite.  Since that release, it constantly disconnects.

Indeed it was release 6 or 7, when I got my Quest I also had zero issues with connectivity on my Orbi router, only after a specific update it started disconnecting all the time.