cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rifts S USB expansion cards

Finneganmac
Sightseer
Recently picked up an oculus rift s and so far I haven’t been able to get past the sensor check and I’ve tried everything except getting an expansion card. My pc has USB 3.0 ports, but it’s the only option I haven’t tried yet. Do I need an expansion card or is there something else wrong?

i’ve tried;

Updating all my drivers

Updating windows 

Updating oculus firmware

Switching to public test channel

Different USB ports

Disconnecting and reconnecting the tether on the headset and the pc 

Restarting many many times

Disabling my firewall and any kind of malware protection 

Made sure my camera permission is on

Returned and swapped for a different rift S

Uninstalling and redoownloading the oculus software 

Repairing the oculus software.

Any other things I should try? Any help would be massively appreciated
6 REPLIES 6

Helcion
Expert Protege
What motherboard do you have? But yes, a pcie usb card from I inateck (or any other recommended brand from oculus...it's just that inateck is the cheapest) should help. I think the 4 or 2 slot with a power cable is fine. (Personally I only tested the 4 slot, the dude with the 2 slot did not reply)

Finneganmac
Sightseer

Helcion said: 

What motherboard do you have? But yes, a pcie usb card from I inateck (or any other recommended brand from oculus...it's just that inateck is the cheapest) should help. I think the 4 or 2 slot with a power cable is fine. (Personally I only tested the 4 slot, the dude with the 2 slot did not reply)

I have a TUF Z390 Gaming WiFi
ok I’ll go to my local computer shop and pick up a USB expansion card thank you for the help!

Helcion
Expert Protege

Helcion said: 

ok I’ll go to my local computer shop and pick up a USB expansion card thank you for the help!

Just make sure it has a supported usb chooser. Like fresco. Just any plain old usb card can make problems. I even had problems with an inateck card, because I bought one without a power cable.

Finneganmac
Sightseer

Helcion said:

Helcion said: 

Just make sure it has a supported usb chooser. Like fresco. Just any plain old usb card can make problems. I even had problems with an inateck card, because I bought one without a power cable.

would you mind telling me how i can tell if it has a chooser/power cable? dumb question but i have no idea what either of those loo like

Helcion
Expert Protege
Argh sorry, I was typing on mobile and it changed controller to chooser. A compatible usb controller for instance is from fresco. An Inateck usb card will have those. Another working brand is startech. (But rather expensive and not needed for rift s). 

https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html ;

This for example is a card with a power cable. You can see them on the picture. Either connect the card via molex (old power supply) or sata (newer ones)

Finneganmac
Sightseer

Helcion said:

Argh sorry, I was typing on mobile and it changed controller to chooser. A compatible usb controller for instance is from fresco. An Inateck usb card will have those. Another working brand is startech. (But rather expensive and not needed for rift s). 

This for example is a card with a power cable. You can see them on the picture. Either connect the card via molex (old power supply) or sata (newer ones)

ok thanks!