cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible performance with official Link cable and Quest.

NumberXer0
Sightseer
I run a GTX 2080, i9 9900k and 32GB. I've had a Rift CV1 for a few years now and I've run every single game I've played maxed out at a steady 90fps. I recently bought a Quest for portability and better tracking. I followed up that purchase with an official $80 Oculus Link cable which just arrived today.

Ever since attempting to use Link, I can't run a single game smoothly. Everything stutters, I have ridiculous frame drops and everything makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. I can run all of my games fine on the Rift CV1 and my games run well enough on the Quest itself. Its only when playing via Link that this happens.

Windows 10 is fully up to date, as are my GPU drivers and all others. Oculus Home software and Quest firmware are fully up to date. Oculus Home is not on the PTC. I have disabled Vsync through my GPU. All supersampling is turned off. My cable is plugged directly into the designated VR USB3 port on the back of my RTX. There is no bloatware or unnecessary programs running in the background. No overclocking is enabled or needed on my system. 

I've run through various topics on Link issues and I've done it all to no avail. This issue is 100% caused by Link. I can plug in my CV1 and run Asgard's Wrath with no stutter and frame drops. Then I hook up my Quest and it runs like its on a PC from 2005. What am I missing here? Is this seriously how Link runs?
19 REPLIES 19

Maxxgold
Rising Star

ohgrant said:

Not the case here. I have a CV1 and original Vive. No issues at all with linked Quest on version 12. My CV1 is showing some minimal stuttering since ver 12 in Asgard's wrath and Lone Eco, My CV1 is now retired until the next update that temporarily disables the Quest. 
.A fable to say the least that the CV1 performs better than the linked Quest and looks many times better than both my CV1 and Vive @2.0 SS

You can LOL all you want. When tested reviewed Half Life Alyx with the Quest Link it was called out for what it is. Start watching at the 2 minute mark, and see the professionals tell you what I already did.  Basically they wouldn’t recommended playing with the Quest linked, but both the Rift and Rift S passed with flying colors. 

ohgrant
Superstar

Maxxgold said:

ohgrant said:

Not the case here. I have a CV1 and original Vive. No issues at all with linked Quest on version 12. My CV1 is showing some minimal stuttering since ver 12 in Asgard's wrath and Lone Eco, My CV1 is now retired until the next update that temporarily disables the Quest. 
.A fable to say the least that the CV1 performs better than the linked Quest and looks many times better than both my CV1 and Vive @2.0 SS

Not a fable at all. The CV1 is much better than a linked Quest. It not even comparable. SS 1.5 standard, and 2.0 when possible. If you just put the Quest on for a few seconds it may appear better, but try playing a game for any period of time and you will start to notice compression and artifacts on the Quest. Not to mention that the Quest feels like a brick on your head after 30 minutes and the CV1 is light as a feather as a comparison. Then compare the audio, where the CV1 audio is like a symphony compared to the Quest. I love my quest, but your just supporting your purchase if you think it’s better than a CV1 for PC gaming. 

I have a Valve Index for PC gaming now, but I would gladly put on my CV1 instead of the Quest any day of the week. 

Total fable except the audio and comfort. Both of which can be corrected with the Vive audio strap.has been real rare here for any compression artifacts. I seen some t first with version 11 and was plugging into my inatech card. 
Since I moved it to my on board USB have only seen artifacts on one occasion when I was pushing the resolution a bit too high. 

NumberX: I'm sure they have a return policy. Your specs exceed mine I would try this cable, it's what's working for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

NumberXer0
Sightseer

Maxxgold said:

Related to the topic in a way, but is there a way to return physical purchases from Oculus? This cable is not at all worth it and I'd like to return it. But there doesn't seem to be an option..

Contact support and see what your options are. Post back when you find out if you don’t mind. I think there will be a lot of returns. 

I talked to support on Reddit. I have to open a support ticket to ask for a return. I'm awaiting a reply. I'm hoping they let me, I've only had the cable a few days.

KarstenS80
Adventurer

but try playing a game for any period of time and you will start to notice compression and artifacts on the Quest

Do you even know first hand what you are talking about?

The situations where the compression is noticeable are very rare.

Like that start room of the Last Labyrinth before the light turns on.

I've played over link for a bunch of hours now and can definitively not confirm your ... hate.

SparkyZA
Explorer
Small update on my part. I opted in to the Beta program. Performance issues still there, but slightly better for me.
I'm going to leave the Quest alone for a while till I see on the forums that performance is better.
Thanks @"adam.poole.313" for your post. I wasn't aware that this only started in V12 as I have only tried Link on V12.
Hopefully gets sorted soon, but being the holiday season even devs need some time off.

NumberXer0
Sightseer

SparkyZA said:

Small update on my part. I opted in to the Beta program. Performance issues still there, but slightly better for me.
I'm going to leave the Quest alone for a while till I see on the forums that performance is better.
Thanks @"adam.poole.313" for your post. I wasn't aware that this only started in V12 as I have only tried Link on V12.
Hopefully gets sorted soon, but being the holiday season even devs need some time off.

Beta didn't do anything for me unfortunately. But I'm doing the same. My Quest is back in the box and I'm just using my CV1 now. If this isn't fixed by the time the Index goes back in stock, looks like its a return for me. This is just not acceptable..having broken software released for weeks and refusing to rollback or even talk about it.

ohgrant
Superstar

Maxxgold said:

ohgrant said:

You can LOL all you want. When tested reviewed Half Life Alyx with the Quest Link it was called out for what it is. Start watching at the 2 minute mark, and see the professionals tell you what I already did.  Basically they wouldn’t recommended playing with the Quest linked, but both the Rift and Rift S passed with flying colors. 

Half life Alyx isn't even out yet and I'm confident it will run just fine when the time comes. I have both CV1 and Quest  know differently.  You seem to have some bias about this no? If you go looking for facts to back up your existing beliefs on the internet you will find them for sure, but is a bad way to educate yourself on the facts. It's all hearsay until you've tried it yourself including my posts.  This guy is recommending Quest over Rift-S in many cases.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lojfqSb6Dec   I take all of it with a grain of salt but make no conclusions until I've tried them myself. I've tried a friends Rift-S but on his PC with a lesser CPU and GPU, and when there were driver issues so I don't have enough data to really evaluate it fairly. 
 I can say the only thing I miss about the CV1 when I'm using the Quest is the quality feel and spacing of the original touch controllers. I occasionally hit the Oculus button by mistake on the new ones.  

I feel bad for the folks having issues with the betas, I sure hope they get it together.   
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd like to chime in since I have 4 Oculus quests with link cables two running on similar laptops with GTX 1070. And I also own two Vive Pros and Rift CV1. 

I will comment my experience with the cable, which I connected to a USB 3.0 Port using a type c to regular USB 3.0 adapter. I used the one that came with my Samsung USB thumb drive since I don't have type c on my laptops. I also had the Vive deluxe audio strap.connected.

On the Oculus app, everything worked perfectly fine, zero issues. Very smooth gameplay on Arizona sunshine, surviv3, Darth Vader, and other titles. No audio issues or connection errors. Everything was as good as my Rift.

On the steamvr is where my problems started. The stuttering was unbearable when I started a game. Arizona sunshine was unplayable, as was boneworks Not happy with the performance, I started tinkering. I disabled the steamvr home, enabled low latency on Nvidia settings, disabled supersampling, disabled power management of USB connected dives in developer settings, held my breath and restarted my pc. 

Results...not 100 percent perfect, but 99% perfect, which is fine for me.

I don't exactly know which setting fixed the problem, but something I enabled or disabled fixed it. At some point I may mess around with some settings to see what setting or combination of settings fixed the stuttering. It may just be steamvr home for all I know.

My point, is that it does work great on Oculus native app. And it works great on steamvr "with some tinkering".

I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. 16' is perfect and 80 bucks isn't a bad investment considering you get portability, plus full VR gaming in one headset and keeps the Oculus quest charged while gaming.

Dantaq
Explorer
Hello guys I had a problem with low framerate in Skyrim VR. I get 45 fps by Oculus Link 72 fps by Vrtual Desktop so I knew there is a problem with Oculus software. It even used 80% of my GPU on VD 30%...I have rtx2080 with i75820K so you should see my face. After hours of looking in last option I have changed resolution on desktop from 2560x1080 to 1920x1080 from 144hz to 60hz and that completly resolve the problem. Everything works like it should. I hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have a 1650ti i5 10300h 8gigs ram with the charger cable and i run 30 fps flat i see 72 in the menu oculus please optimise this