New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Unfriendly to Families - Oculus Please Fix This

Comments

• supertinyrobotsupertinyrobot Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 4
    Zenbane said:

Even Netflix makes you pay more to allow multiple people to use your Account.
    You have zero idea what you're talking about. Netflix allows user profiles for family members. help.netflix.com/en/node/10421

Zenbane said:

Lastly, you don't really have to buy multiple headsets... you just need to learn how to Take Turns. Which is what good families do!
    ;)
    This is the line where you establish yourself as a troll and invalidate everything else you say. Your patronizing attitude with your little winky face garbage is sickening. "Taking turns" has NOTHING to do with it. You're only being a jerk for the sake of it and you know it. OP is suggesting user profiles, which is a ubiquitous feature on almost every device that invites multi-user gameplay, as the Quest DOES.
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

You have zero idea what you're talking about. Netflix allows user profiles for family members. help.netflix.com/en/node/10421

Zenbane said:

Lastly, you don't really have to buy multiple headsets... you just need to learn how to Take Turns. Which is what good families do!
    ;)
    This is the line where you establish yourself as a troll and invalidate everything else you say. Your patronizing attitude with your little winky face garbage is sickening. "Taking turns" has NOTHING to do with it. You're only being a jerk for the sake of it and you know it. OP is suggesting user profiles, which is a ubiquitous feature on almost every device that invites multi-user gameplay, as the Quest DOES.
    That is all he does here, check out his post history.  Best to just ignore him instead of feeding the troll.
  • RossTrex1RossTrex1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Family of 5 and we have one Quest.  My kids have limited desire to experience the Quest.  I think a big part of it is the fact that they cannot personalize their experience.  They have nearly every console on the market and currently love the Nintendo Switch (Pokemon).  The Nintendo allows personalization via user account and imported their Mi.  So without the ability to create the VR presence the Quest becomes impersonal.  Odd that a company like Facebook would miss this (or intentionally ignore it).  I see the varied opinions regarding this topic on this thread and am a bit mystified by the defense of single VR system with single account.  Just does not make sense to me if the user cannot personalize their VR presence and experience.   

• Pacman8030Pacman8030 Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why would you want to share somebody's sweat anyway? Ewwwww....
    Art3mis
    What does that have to do with anything?  So you have 3 or 4 kids, do you actually think you would be able to afford 3 or 4 headsets for each of them?  This is a legit and relevant issue and doesn't deserved to be mocked.
    Hiro Protagonist
    What does that have to do with anything?  So you have 3 or 4 kids, do you actually think you would be able to afford 3 or 4 headsets for each of them?  This is a legit and relevant issue and doesn't deserved to be mocked.
    Calm down. There's no reason to have a heart attack over what some stranger on the internet said.
    Art3mis
    Calm down. There's no reason to have a heart attack over what some stranger on the internet said.
    Who is excited?  Maybe you should come out of your own little world and realize that there are people besides you that have situations that differ from your own....
    Hiro Protagonist
    Who is excited?  Maybe you should come out of your own little world and realize that there are people besides you that have situations that differ from your own....
    Young kids shouldn't be in VR anyway. It's bad for their vision development. Get them a Nintendo Switch. 
    Art3mis
    Young kids shouldn't be in VR anyway. It's bad for their vision development. Get them a Nintendo Switch. 
    Ok but what if you have 3 pre-teens/teens?  There is a clear gap here that other gaming systems have recognized and rectified.  I'm sure Oculus will at some point as well but that doesn't negate the OP's concerns or give you the right to joke about a liegit issue someone else has.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,852 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    bulbousbat said:
    Difference is Netflix didn't cost $500 dollars.
    Netflix requires a monthly fee, so if you use Netflix month after month, and year after year, then you will definitely spend well over $500. Oculus doesn't require you to spend a monthly free. So your point here is moot.

Neflix also doesn't make you buy every video you want to watch.

True, but Oculus gives high-end software away for free without charging a monthly fee. Netflix only lets you watch their videos if you pay every month. If you cancel your Netflix account, you can't watch it anymore. Yet with Oculus, you always own the hardware and the software. So again, a moot point.

Last time I checked we have to buy every game.
    Completely wrong. Many Oculus titles have been 100% free.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited January 5
    What a trainwreck of a thread. Zenbane, do you have to be pointlessly argumentative?
    Not any more than people tend to be pointlessly complanatory.

Having multiple users for the purpose of save slots alone would be sufficient and REALLY USEFUL.

Developers can do this themselves at the software level.

Even Nintendo manage get this one mostly right!

Nope. I own the Switch and if you want to have your stuff saved (and enjoy additional features, games, etc), Nintendo charges a yearly fee just like Amazon.

Proftomas said:
    I don't agree with that. As for Netflix, I have 2 logins possible in my basic account and can pay a little extra to have even more.

Yep, and you have to pay all of that every single month to maintain the service. Which is not the case with OculusVR.
    Art3mis
    edited January 5
    I told you not to feed the troll, see what happens....They are actually trying to insinuate that the monthly fee netflix charges is overpriced compared to purchasing individual games for your oculus CONSOLE.  There is no debating with stupid like that......
    edited January 5
    I told you not to feed the troll, see what happens....They are actually trying to insinuate that the monthly fee netflix charges is overpriced compared to purchasing individual games for your oculus CONSOLE.  There is no debating with stupid like that......

It is likely more stupid to read words that aren't really there. I never once said anything about something being overpriced. In fact, nothing about this conversation has involved the idea of overpricing. You might want to understand the basics of what's being typed before trying to call anyone "stupid."
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

It is more stupid to read words that aren't really there. I never once said anything about something being overpriced. In fact, nothing about this conversation has involved the idea of overpricing. You might want to understand the basics of what's being typed before trying to call anyone "stupid."
    Whatever troll.  Good-bye.
    rednekcowboy77 said:
    If you decide to try to communicate like a sensible and intellectual adult, let me know.
    edited January 5

Zenbane said:

I would argue that you have zero idea about the difference between having a simple profile and actually using a service. Allowing multiple profiles still requires that you pay more to actually stream the service:

Their plans allow 1-4 streaming services per device, depending on how much you pay. So sure, you can add 20 different user profiles, but at most... only 4 devices can run their service at any given time; assuming you pay that much.

This is your response to my suggestion that people 'take turns' in a household. Interesting that you got so angry about something that I thought was common in many households lol
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    rednekcowboy77 said:
    If you decide to try to communicate like a sensible and intellectual adult, let me know.
    Why would I with someone that does nothing but purposely derails threads and continually perpetuates ignorance in the face of logic?  Have you actually read what you posted above?  Only a complete imbecile would actually attempt that kind of moronic argument.
    rednekcowboy77 said:
    Why would I with someone that does nothing but purposely derails threads and continually perpetuates ignorance in the face of logic? 

You have presented zero logic. All you have done is name-call. I could name-call as well, but it's rather pointless. Especially in your case since your name-calling seems to be the result of your inability to provide a logical argument.

Have you actually read what you posted above?

Have you actually read anything stated in this thread? Because you seem confused, as noted by the fact that you think someone was talking about things being "overpriced" lol

Only a complete imbecile would actually attempt that kind of moronic argument.

Some rather impressive irony there.

Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    rednekcowboy77 said:
    Why would I with someone that does nothing but purposely derails threads and continually perpetuates ignorance in the face of logic? 

You have presented zero logic. All you have done is name-call. I could name-call as well, but it's rather pointless. Especially in your case since your name-calling seems to be the result of your inability to provide a logical argument.

Have you actually read what you posted above?

Have you actually read anything stated in this thread? Because you seem confused, as noted by the fact that you think someone was talking about things being "overpriced" lol

Only a complete imbecile would actually attempt that kind of moronic argument.

Some rather impressive irony there.

Do you actually have anything useful to add to this thread or are you just here to do your typical derail the thread and get it shut down?
    edited January 5
    Do you actually have anything useful to add to this thread or are you just here to do your typical derail the thread and get it shut down?

I can ask you the same question. You have provided zero value, and resorted to infantile name-calling.
    I, on the other hand, have simply been responding to people who typed replies directly to me. My actions are quite sensible. Yours... not so much.
    If this thread gets locked, you have only yourself to blame.
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

I can ask you the same question. You have provided zero value, and resorted to infantile name-calling.
    I, on the other hand, have simply been responding to people who typed replies directly to me. My actions are quite sensible. Yours... not so much.
    If this thread gets locked, you have only yourself to blame.
    Ok so you have added absolutely 0 value and are just here to troll.  Got it.

tu quoque
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

tu quoque
    Very intelligent sir.
  • MissSheaMissShea Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited January 6
    Zenbane said:

tu quoque
    Very intelligent sir.
    Like you said, stop feeding the troll. I just got done reading this entire thread. He obviously has no idea what he is talking about. 

Maybe I can simplify it for him. 

My husband bought a VR. We have Beat Saber and we "share" as a he put it so elegantly. However, I want to stream to my progress on my FB account. My husband has requested I do not log into my FB account on his quest,t  stream, and I can't stream on his FB account without people thinking it's him. 

I want to be able to switch to my own profile, and connect MY FB account, and stream my progress on My FB account, WITHOUT logging my husband out of his and/or Factory resetting my Quest every single time I want to stream on MY OWN account. I don't CARE if there are multiple save files, I don't CARE, if I have to spend the 15 bucks to buy the game again for my own account..
    What I CARE about is NOT logging my husband out and factory resetting the Quest every time I want to stream on MY profile. It's simply pointless. We don't have an extra $400+ lying around just to log in to my own account on a separate CONSOLE. I cannot just disregard his profile with all the games on it and just use mine, that would mean wasted money, and has a lack of individualization. And then my Husband wouldn't be able to stream on his favored platform without people thinking it is me. I really don't want to post my progress as my husband just to "share". This profile thing is definitely on the heads of Oculus, not the developers. 

We have a PC(steam), Phones (*gasp*YES YOU CAN LOG INTO MULTIPLE EMAILS ON ONE PHONE ON THE OS, I switch between my junk profile all the time.)  a PS4, and a Switch. All of which seem to be able to accomplish what ZanbAne  says we should just 'deal' with and 'share' or complain to the developers. Lol

If he doesn't understand that, he needs to go back to school. 
    edited January 6
    MissShea said:
    Like you said, stop feeding the troll. I just got done reading this entire thread. He obviously has no idea what he is talking about. 

In my original response, I was addressing the hyperbolic title of this thread "unfriendly to families" which I do feel is a bit extreme. A lack of user profiles doesn't make something unfriendly to families. It simply addresses a need for certain VR Software titles to allow multiple save games. I made one analogy to Netflix (and made a joke about family sharing in relation to this threads title), and several people have decided to attack me personally instead of simply addressing the argument.
    Attacking me personally makes you the troll. Not me.

My husband bought a VR. We have Beat Saber and we "share" as a he put it so elegantly. However, I want to stream to my progress on my FB account. My husband has requested I do not log into my FB account on his quest,t  stream, and I can't stream on his FB account without people thinking it's him.

So your husband is the one hindering you, not Facebook or Oculus.

If he doesn't understand that, he needs to go back to school. 
    Another needless attack, which is no indication of proper schooling. What you are asking Facebook/Oculus to do is give you a work-around to the fact that your husband won't let you do certain things on "his quest." Your request to have another profile doesn't solve your problem if we read this part more carefully:
    My husband has requested I do not log into my FB account on his quest

Having multiple profiles doesn't solve the problem of it still being "his quest" because a new profile would still exist on "his quest" which he doesn't want you connecting to Facebook. This is a hardware problem. You need to buy your own quest. If you don't understand that...
    ;)
    NerveGear
    edited January 7
    Haha you are hilarious. He doesn't have a problem with me logging into FB. He has his own FB account. Why in the hell would he want me logging into and linking My FB info to his Oculus account? 

He doesn't want me linking my FB account to his Oculus account as this only causes information to get mixed that shouldn't be. So that is why he requested that I don't. Are you suggesting we have a shared FB account too? Why not? I mean, according to you, we don't need an individual identity. According to you, I might as well play every online game on my PS4 under his username, right? So when our friends invite us to play, it's like rush and roulette, who knows who will jump in and be on the mic?! Will it be him, or his wife?! Heaven forbid we have different groups of people we play with as well... Might as well message everyone that sends an invite, Sorry, my husband isn't playing today.... when *gasp* I have my own friends list that can see when I'm online on my own profile, that uses my own info, such as my email... phone number....birthday.. etc. etc. And all they have to do is invite me when they see me and my profile online. 

Oh, no, I'm sorry. I should just buy a whole new PS4 to have my own username, according to you. 

But go and keep cherry picking, you're only making yourself look worse. It's entertainment in the least. 
    edited January 7
    MissShea said:
    He doesn't have a problem with me logging into FB. He has his own FB account.
    I never said he did. We were talking about how he doesn't want you logging on to FB with his Quest. Your own words.

Why in the hell would he want me logging into and linking My FB info to his Oculus account?

It's very common for married couples to share FB accounts. Regardless, even if Oculus gave you another profile... his Quest would still give him access to your account lol

Are you suggesting we have a shared FB account too?
    That is probably sound advice, but not really my business since that has little to do with Virtual Reality itself. The point though, is that you clearly stated that he didn't want you logging in to FB on his Quest hardware.

So when our friends invite us to play, it's like rush and roulette, who knows who will jump in and be on the mic?!
    Uhh, so you and your husband sound exactly the same when you talk?? Interesting.

But go and keep cherry picking

I'm not cherry picking, I'm addressing the facts as you present them.

you're only making yourself look worse
    Pot/Kettle.

You should really consider what you are suggesting. You are saying that it isn't sensible for you and your husband to share a FB account, but you want to use your husband's Quest to link your FB account, which he would then be able to access regardless of which profile it was on.

NerveGear
    edited January 7
    Lmao. This is entertaining. When did I say I had a problem with him accessing my profile and my FB account? 

Let me pull my comment you so kindly ignored. 
    He doesn't want me linking my FB account to his Oculus account as this only causes information to get mixed that shouldn't be.

That would cause it to be linked to his Oculus account on his App and online. 

I would bet you are single and an only child based off ignorant you are about the whole thing. 
    NerveGear
    The only couples that "share" FB profiles are older, less technologically inclined people who don't use social media often.