cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link USB Motherboard Compatability

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been recently trying to work out through some of the ambiguity for Oculus Link's (Beta) USB 3.0 requirements, as my motherboard (while having native USB 3.0 ports) does not seem to be able to run Oculus Link.
Seeing as the USB 3.x naming standard has become a complete cluster*$^# thanks to the USB using the term "Over USB 3.0" seemed a bit too broad spectrum.

I am running a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0) motherboard (can't link pages so I guess just Google that to find the Gigabyte spec page?)
that claims it "Supports USB 3.0 with superfast transfer rates of up to 5 Gbps". It even has USB 3.0 printed on the board, how could it possibly not work with Link? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Plugging in a USB 3.0 and upwards USB stick works with obviously fast transfer speeds. Ports work just fine in Windows 7/10 and various Linux distros. So safe to assume there's nothing wrong hardware-wise. All the rest of my tests take place in Windows10 because requirements.

Plugging in any sort of Android device to the motherboard renders zero response (the Quest runs Android and the fact that my phones yield the same results got me curious) on both the PC and the Android device (other than charging) Thinking it's something to do with the ADB drivers not existing, I get that running, even as far as to just go full blown Android Studio's setup as if I'm going full on developer. Still zero register of an Android device on any 3.0 ports.

My next test will be seeing whether a pci-e USB 3.0 card will:
  • a) Work with the motherboard
  • b) Work with Oculus Link

• This is all pretty much to avoid me buying half a new computer just to run Link as a motherboard upgrade would also require new RAM and CPU. So I figure test ~$25 first on a PCIe card to see if that does anything. Plus apparently free returns so I got that going for me. 
    (Still can't link pages yet sooo: "Inateck Superspeed 7 Ports PCI_E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card - 5 USB 3.0 Ports" | it's the red PCIe card everyone's been getting on Amazon)

Thoughts on this? Have any of you come across issues with your old AF motherboards' USB 3.0 ports working or not?
    13 REPLIES 13

TottoW
    Explorer
    Yes, same for me, i have an old Asus P8P67 Deluxe rev 3 MB with the renesas USB 3.0 controller. whenever i connect the oculus quest, it seems to break them. Other USB 3.0 stuff work well, just like for you, but after having connected the quest, an exclamation mark shows up on the controller in device manager and nothing is detected. When unplugging the quest and trying some of the other USB 3.0 stuff again, none of them work either until i reboot the computer.

Considering getting a PCI-E USB 3.2 card as well, have u had a chance to try?

K_Bone
    Explorer
    In the same boat too, I have the Gigabyte GA-78LMT using the 10 ft partylink cable on amazon ( cant post link yet)

Was hoping someone already pulled the plug on PCI option here

Kung-Foo-Kamel
    Protege
    Those renesas USB 3 chipsets were complete dogs, I remember when they cam out, I had lots of issues with external hard drive caddys just not working properly.

I would honestly look at the PCI-E card, but make note of the card type as some are only 1 x PCI-E and are pretty lame, you want a 4x card that supports 10Gbps and has USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port on it, that way you are getting an upgraded device, as the 1x cards will have some crap chipset on it like Renesus or worse.

Oh and make sure it has provisions for additional power through a molex connector from your powersupply.

K_Bone
    Explorer
    Looks like I am screwed anyway because my GPU blocks the only other PCIe, and its an x1. The only other PCI is not even an express slot. So I am SOL on this unless there is a cable that plays well with this board.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)
    If curious, I did try the manufacture provided USB3 drivers, the generic OS drivers do not work either.

dennisn8tkk
    Explorer
    I have 990FXA UD3 with F3 firmware. It has USB 3.0 ports. I bought  USB 3.0 cable that was recommended from Oculus before the Offical LINK cable came out. I have a Laptop with windows 10. The Oculus and software does link. So I know the cable is good. I also get a message that the GPU is not supported. That I understood, and accept. Because it is NOT the latest GPU. My main reason for connecting it to my laptop was to check if it can connect and link up, and it does. The issue is when I connect Oculus to my desktop. With windows 10. It does NOT connect It has a 8 core AMD CPU. 16g RAM, AMD RX590 GPU. I am wanting to know why is there no connection? .  With the Same cable,, as used on laptop. All drivers/software are the latest. 

K_Bone
    Explorer

I have 990FXA UD3 with F3 firmware. It has USB 3.0 ports. I bought  USB 3.0 cable that was recommended from Oculus before the Offical LINK cable came out. I have a Laptop with windows 10. The Oculus and software does link. So I know the cable is good. I also get a message that the GPU is not supported. That I understood, and accept. Because it is NOT the latest GPU. My main reason for connecting it to my laptop was to check if it can connect and link up, and it does. The issue is when I connect Oculus to my desktop. With windows 10. It does NOT connect It has a 8 core AMD CPU. 16g RAM, AMD RX590 GPU. I am wanting to know why is there no connection? .  With the Same cable,, as used on laptop. All drivers/software are the latest. 

It HAS to be that these USB3 drivers with the FX boards are not supported in their development, honestly the only logical explanation. Your laptops board probably is intel based?

dennisn8tkk
    Explorer
    @kferling Yes, I contacted the support. And they did say it was a USB issue. And to purchase a PCI card w/USB 3.0 on it (They gave me their recommendation). Thx for the input.

K_Bone
    Explorer

@kferling Yes, I contacted the support. And they did say it was a USB issue. And to purchase a PCI card w/USB 3.0 on it (They gave me their recommendation). Thx for the input.

Did they break down any explanation other than "USB issue". Here we have someone allegedly running a link with an FX series board. www youtube com /watch?v=0G4APEWpUYw&t=125s

dennisn8tkk
    Explorer
    @K_Bone The URL you gave I could NOT pull up. But, Yes they said that it has to deal with the VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller is not a supported.  We recommend an add-on PCI-E USB 3.0 Expansion Card that uses the Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset.