New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Abrash says, “When the next generation of VR shows up, it will be because we did it.”

2»

Comments

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,426 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
    If the quest  sells millions of headsets, And the rift  s sales remain small in comparison I think we will see a quest 2 on steroids that will link for the higher end pc games.  I like my rift s for long sections. The mods I did on the quest really helps for comfort but its  not as good as the quest. The quest 2 would have to be comparable in comfort.

Agreed, but Quest itself is still a new leading edge Tech (bleeding edge as well). They are still experimenting with the full-hand tracking, and their focus is on the new OS (and full body tracking). So we likely won't see a Quest 2 until closer to 2022. A new Rift will probably come sooner than that, or around the exact same time.

Quest and Rift won't be able to converge until after Facebook has fully released a stable version of their OS. They are a few years away from that though.
    There are so many obstacles that can change things suddenly. The new os. I keep forgetting about that. You cant create that overnight.  It's hard waiting for these upgrades but when you think about it, a game consoles life cycle is many years.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,486 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    I think the biggest obstacle Facebook had to overcome, was the original Oculus executives who were not 100% onboard with Facebook's plan. I think that the Lenovo partnership was a last minute resort to dealing with some departures. Yet the Lenovo partnership is often treated as a sign that Facebook doesn't care about the Rift. I'm confident that Facebook will get back on track now that the smoke has cleared with all the organizational changes, and we'll see a stronger Rift (on par with the CV1 we all know and love) soon enough.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,675 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    Zenbane said:
    I think the biggest obstacle Facebook had to overcome, was the original Oculus executives who were not 100% onboard with Facebook's plan. I think that the Lenovo partnership was a last minute resort to dealing with some departures. Yet the Lenovo partnership is often treated as a sign that Facebook doesn't care about the Rift. I'm confident that Facebook will get back on track now that the smoke has cleared with all the organizational changes, and we'll see a stronger Rift (on par with the CV1 we all know and love) soon enough.
    Ohh if I were a betting man... luckily for me I am not.
    My personal opinion is the Lenovo deal was thrown together in the 11th hour to try to squelch the increasing outcry from the community for a new Rift.
    The release was all about the Quest up until about a month before release, then they revealed the Rift S to be released alongside the Quest.

I do hope you are right on the stronger Rift prediction.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    My personal opinion is the Lenovo deal was thrown together in the 11th hour to try to squelch the increasing outcry from the community for a new Rift.
    The release was all about the Quest up until about a month before release, then they revealed the Rift S to be released alongside the Quest.

Yeah I think that most can, at the very least, agree that the Lenovo contract was very much an 11th hour deal. I felt that Facebook was pressuring Oculus to build something similar themselves, but then we had the departures and the famous sounbite, "race to the bottom." So... we get Lenovo.

I'm not much of a betting man either, and I'm barely 50% confident about my Rift prediction lol
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,173 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    RedRizla said:
    Oculus released the CV1 which by all accounts was a highend PC -VR headset at the time. Unfortunately it didn't sell as well as Oculus had hoped, but neither has the Rift S for that matter and it's a much cheaper PC -VR headset. The Oculus Quest is the VR headset that is selling well at present, so it might well be that it is standalone PC -VR that is the problem here.

I think I'll have to agree with @dburne for now that it will be Oculus Quests from now on that is the focus. I hope I'm wrong and that once Oculus has built up it's business that we will see a PC -VR headset with all the bells and whistles.

I'd be happy with an Oculus Quest for PC -VR in future, if it had the ability to change to a higher resolution once it's linked to your PC. Think of it like a PC monitor today where you can change the resolution. This would allow you to lower the resolution for mobile VR and also allow you to have a higher resolution when you plugged the Oculus Quest into your PC. I think it would be ideal for people with different graphics cards because it would allow them to choose the resolution they wanted depending on their Graphics card they have. 
    You can already adjust resolution with Quest Link.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83561/oculus-link-resolution-with-v12/p1

Albeit though I myself have seemingly not been able to get it to work as far as I can tell.

Pixel Density is not the same as changing the resolution of a display. I'm talking about having a 4k display and being able to change it to 2k and 1080p like I can do on my PC monitor. All Pixel Density does is act like Anti aliasing does on a PC monitor, it doesn't actually change the resolution of the display.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    inovator said:
    I predict  psvr2 2021. Sony will lose there tremendous lead if they wait until 2022.
    They'll lose their 'tremendous' lead regardless, if of course you are referring to console sales. MS will school Sony on revenue.
    I am a fan of Microsoft, but what makes people believe that MS will school Sony when it comes to consoles? Seems highly unlikely.
    jayhawk said:
    inovator said:
    I predict  psvr2 2021. Sony will lose there tremendous lead if they wait until 2022.
    They'll lose their 'tremendous' lead regardless, if of course you are referring to console sales. MS will school Sony on revenue.
    I dont know how you can say that when in fact sony vr is kicking everyone's butt with an inferior system. Psvr still provides a good enough  experience that I bought it for their vr exclusives and I still had a blast. No one is close to psvr sales. Their next headset will most likely be wirless  much better tracking etc. on a much more powerful system.
    edited January 5
    RedRizla said:
    dburne said:
    RedRizla said:
    Oculus released the CV1 which by all accounts was a highend PC -VR headset at the time. Unfortunately it didn't sell as well as Oculus had hoped, but neither has the Rift S for that matter and it's a much cheaper PC -VR headset. The Oculus Quest is the VR headset that is selling well at present, so it might well be that it is standalone PC -VR that is the problem here.

I think I'll have to agree with @dburne for now that it will be Oculus Quests from now on that is the focus. I hope I'm wrong and that once Oculus has built up it's business that we will see a PC -VR headset with all the bells and whistles.

I'd be happy with an Oculus Quest for PC -VR in future, if it had the ability to change to a higher resolution once it's linked to your PC. Think of it like a PC monitor today where you can change the resolution. This would allow you to lower the resolution for mobile VR and also allow you to have a higher resolution when you plugged the Oculus Quest into your PC. I think it would be ideal for people with different graphics cards because it would allow them to choose the resolution they wanted depending on their Graphics card they have. 
    You can already adjust resolution with Quest Link.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83561/oculus-link-resolution-with-v12/p1

Albeit though I myself have seemingly not been able to get it to work as far as I can tell.

Pixel Density is not the same as changing the resolution of a display. I'm talking about having a 4k display and being able to change it to 2k and 1080p like I can do on my PC monitor. All Pixel Density does is act like Anti aliasing does on a PC monitor, it doesn't actually change the resolution of the display.
    I could have swore that discussion I linked to with release 12 for the Quest was talking about Resolution and Curvature changes, in addition to Pixel Density. Perhaps I am not understanding it properly when it talks about changing resolution... I know what PD is.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited January 5

Don

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    Well, it is a bold statement to say "it will be by us". I do agree to the most extent, but it won't matter much if they can't get their software/drivers working properly (like they use to, before lots of key people jumped ship or changed roles). The 12.0 release just before xmas has been a nightmare for many users, and a few weeks later, not much has changed.

Been holding out on getting any new HMD until there is something that doesn't have so many issues to deal with. Looks like everyone who sells HMD's now has issues, some old ones, some new ones.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Been holding out on getting any new HMD

Yeah this is the most prevalent theme for me as well. Although I must admit, having to "wait" isn't as painful as I thought it would me, now that I've started to enjoy flat vanilla gaming again. Nintendo Switch for Christmas, and I recently bought the PC game, Sekiro. Which recently won the Steam Game of the Year award:

I'm really enjoying Sekiro!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,654 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Zenbane said:

I doubt that it was all done at the 11th hour, this isn't the way business works. Oculus would have originally planned (by the co-founders before they left) to release the Half Dome prototype as the Rift 2 last year I would have thought. But that planning would have started soon after (or maybe even before) the Rift launched.

The plan to outsource the manufacturing to a third party was probably made and organised around a year before the Rift S launched, and the switch from the Rift 2 to the Rift S would have been decided previous to that decision.

It wouldn't surprise me if they outsource the manufacturing of the Quest S to a third party too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited January 6
    If I were a betting man I would definitely bet on that one.
    A year before Rift S they were still working on Half Dome and Rift CV2.

They announced Quest way long before Rift S, Rift S was not even dreamed up yet.
    Don

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    inovator said:
    jayhawk said:
    inovator said:
    I dont know how you can say that when in fact sony vr is kicking everyone's butt with an inferior system. Psvr still provides a good enough  experience that I bought it for their vr exclusives and I still had a blast. No one is close to psvr sales. Their next headset will most likely be wirless  much better tracking etc. on a much more powerful system.
    Disregard my comment. My mind was somewhere else.
    edited January 6
    snowdog said:
    I doubt that it was all done at the 11th hour, this isn't the way business works.

You'd be surprised at how many list minute business deals take place amongst major corporations across the globe. It very much is the way business works. It's a very simple process, and there are specifics things that exist to handle this, such as:
    • An RFP
    • An RFQ
    This is when we see things like "bidding wars." The planning itself might not have been 11th hour, since Facebook likely saw that they would need a fallback solution when their existing team rejected the idea of the Rift-S (again, a reference to the "race to the bottom" comment). But Lenovo themselves had only recently won the right to use the Halo ring design for their HMD. So either way, we are talking about a very short timeframe to make this decision.
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    Been holding out on getting any new HMD

Yeah this is the most prevalent theme for me as well. Although I must admit, having to "wait" isn't as painful as I thought it would me, now that I've started to enjoy flat vanilla gaming again. Nintendo Switch for Christmas, and I recently bought the PC game, Sekiro. Which recently won the Steam Game of the Year award:

I'm really enjoying Sekiro!

I agree, the wait isn't that bad. Although, things (software) could be better from Oculus presently...it's real hard to develop when the platform your developing on isn't working properly...LOL!!! Mind you I can still do lots of things on the monitor until things get better, but testing on the Rift is very difficult presently. An then there's the O+...but those controllers...hard to actually program them, when half the buttons, etc aren't implemented properly and lack of info. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, everything in VR has issues of some sort.

I've been resisting game playing (VR + Flat) for now and focusing on something I've been doing since last March in VR. Still having loads of fun in the process though. I know I'm missing a lot of good games presently, but if I go there I won't get anything done...LOL!!! Got-to-re-sist!!

Congrats on the Switch...
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...

I understand the need to resist jumping in to games! I resisted most of 2018, but right after Christmas I felt the urge to finally spin something up. Especially with the introduction of the Switch which is fun for the whole family.

When it comes to VR, I find it easy to resist since most of what I experience feels like something I've already done before. Now I'm waiting for the next generation of both hardware and software.

Nexus 6

Yes, its great to have the whole family enjoy something...and something you all don't have to strap to your head for now...LOL!!!

I understand what you mean about VR, even though it's so much more immersive, most games are barely tapping into what can be done in VR...and most just do the same thing. Let's hope the next gen VR in the next year or 2 brings some new ideas to what can be done, both gaming wise and other venues too.

edited January 7
    In other news,

Sony just released some figures to the public. Among them are the sales figures for PSVR, which they claim has achieved a whopping 5-million unit sales. That is fairly impressive!

PS5 will be released this Holiday season! Santa will definitely be putting that under my tree.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 205
    Nexus 6
    That 5 million isnt that bad when comparing to home computer sales on eighties. Did you know that Amiga 500 only sold about 6 million pieces? https://interestingengineering.com/9-of-the-best-selling-computers-of-all-time

For those who dont know Amiga 500 was considered a very succesful computer. In Europe atleast.
    I am still into vr more than ever. For me it's just getting better and more fun. I can hardly touch pancake games anymore. My kids are now adults etc. But I know if I had a young family vr would be to isolating to overdo it. I will only buy the playstation 5 when psvr2 comes out. Oh my aching wallet!