cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abrash says, “When the next generation of VR shows up, it will be because we did it.”

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Bold, but likely true, words coming from Abrash during a recent interview.
No company has invested at anywhere near the level we have. When the next generation of VR shows up, it will be because we did it. I see no other way it’ll happen.

I actually am remarkably impressed with [Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg] and Facebook’s strong commitment to and belief in VR. Everybody sees that AR will replace the phone someday. That seems like a given. But I think that VR will be as important as AR. AR can replace the phone, but VR can replace the personal computer.

"Publicly available data indicates that Facebook currently controls around 50% of the PC VR market and the company currently faces no serious competition in the standalone VR space."
https://uploadvr.com/michael-abrash-the-information-interview-2020/

Coming out of 2019, I very strongly felt that while there were some decent headsets released (e.g. Valve Index, HP Reverb), we have not yet seen a true Next Gen device. Abrash seems to feel the same, and based on the amount of investment Facebook/Oculus is putting forth in to VR compared to all competitors, it would make sense that the next true Next Gen device will come from Facebook.

Unless a new player joins, like Apple?
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Well, it is a bold statement to say "it will be by us". I do agree to the most extent, but it won't matter much if they can't get their software/drivers working properly (like they use to, before lots of key people jumped ship or changed roles). The 12.0 release just before xmas has been a nightmare for many users, and a few weeks later, not much has changed.

Been holding out on getting any new HMD until there is something that doesn't have so many issues to deal with. Looks like everyone who sells HMD's now has issues, some old ones, some new ones.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Been holding out on getting any new HMD

Yeah this is the most prevalent theme for me as well. Although I must admit, having to "wait" isn't as painful as I thought it would me, now that I've started to enjoy flat vanilla gaming again. Nintendo Switch for Christmas, and I recently bought the PC game, Sekiro. Which recently won the Steam Game of the Year award:

I'm really enjoying Sekiro!

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Zenbane said:

I think the biggest obstacle Facebook had to overcome, was the original Oculus executives who were not 100% onboard with Facebook's plan. I think that the Lenovo partnership was a last minute resort to dealing with some departures. Yet the Lenovo partnership is often treated as a sign that Facebook doesn't care about the Rift. I'm confident that Facebook will get back on track now that the smoke has cleared with all the organizational changes, and we'll see a stronger Rift (on par with the CV1 we all know and love) soon enough.

Ohh if I were a betting man... luckily for me I am not.
My personal opinion is the Lenovo deal was thrown together in the 11th hour to try to squelch the increasing outcry from the community for a new Rift.
The release was all about the Quest up until about a month before release, then they revealed the Rift S to be released alongside the Quest.

I do hope you are right on the stronger Rift prediction.

I doubt that it was all done at the 11th hour, this isn't the way business works. Oculus would have originally planned (by the co-founders before they left) to release the Half Dome prototype as the Rift 2 last year I would have thought. But that planning would have started soon after (or maybe even before) the Rift launched.

The plan to outsource the manufacturing to a third party was probably made and organised around a year before the Rift S launched, and the switch from the Rift 2 to the Rift S would have been decided previous to that decision.

It wouldn't surprise me if they outsource the manufacturing of the Quest S to a third party too.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I were a betting man I would definitely bet on that one.
A year before Rift S they were still working on Half Dome and Rift CV2.

They announced Quest way long before Rift S, Rift S was not even dreamed up yet.

jayhawk
Superstar

inovator said:

jayhawk said:

inovator said:

I predict  psvr2 2021. Sony will lose there tremendous lead if they wait until 2022.

They'll lose their 'tremendous' lead regardless, if of course you are referring to console sales. MS will school Sony on revenue.

I dont know how you can say that when in fact sony vr is kicking everyone's butt with an inferior system. Psvr still provides a good enough  experience that I bought it for their vr exclusives and I still had a blast. No one is close to psvr sales. Their next headset will most likely be wirless  much better tracking etc. on a much more powerful system.

Disregard my comment. My mind was somewhere else.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
I doubt that it was all done at the 11th hour, this isn't the way business works.

You'd be surprised at how many list minute business deals take place amongst major corporations across the globe. It very much is the way business works. It's a very simple process, and there are specifics things that exist to handle this, such as:
  • An RFP
  • An RFQ
This is when we see things like "bidding wars." The planning itself might not have been 11th hour, since Facebook likely saw that they would need a fallback solution when their existing team rejected the idea of the Rift-S (again, a reference to the "race to the bottom" comment). But Lenovo themselves had only recently won the right to use the Halo ring design for their HMD. So either way, we are talking about a very short timeframe to make this decision.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Been holding out on getting any new HMD

Yeah this is the most prevalent theme for me as well. Although I must admit, having to "wait" isn't as painful as I thought it would me, now that I've started to enjoy flat vanilla gaming again. Nintendo Switch for Christmas, and I recently bought the PC game, Sekiro. Which recently won the Steam Game of the Year award:

I'm really enjoying Sekiro!

I agree, the wait isn't that bad. Although, things (software) could be better from Oculus presently...it's real hard to develop when the platform your developing on isn't working properly...LOL!!! Mind you I can still do lots of things on the monitor until things get better, but testing on the Rift is very difficult presently. An then there's the O+...but those controllers...hard to actually program them, when half the buttons, etc aren't implemented properly and lack of info. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, everything in VR has issues of some sort.

I've been resisting game playing (VR + Flat) for now and focusing on something I've been doing since last March in VR. Still having loads of fun in the process though. I know I'm missing a lot of good games presently, but if I go there I won't get anything done...LOL!!! Got-to-re-sist!!

Congrats on the Switch...

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@PhoenixSpyder

I understand the need to resist jumping in to games! I resisted most of 2018, but right after Christmas I felt the urge to finally spin something up. Especially with the introduction of the Switch which is fun for the whole family.

When it comes to VR, I find it easy to resist since most of what I experience feels like something I've already done before. Now I'm waiting for the next generation of both hardware and software.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
@Zenbane

Yes, its great to have the whole family enjoy something...and something you all don't have to strap to your head for now...LOL!!!

I understand what you mean about VR, even though it's so much more immersive, most games are barely tapping into what can be done in VR...and most just do the same thing. Let's hope the next gen VR in the next year or 2 brings some new ideas to what can be done, both gaming wise and other venues too.