cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nvidia driver has VRSS!!! - 8x supersampling!! - Foveated Rendering!! - RuneSR2 where you at??

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Guys it's finally here!!! read reddit post for full details

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ekvpga/incoming_nvidia_driver_to_include_vrss_variable/

Offical info here from Nvidia: - Scroll half way down page. This can explain it all better then I can.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-ces-2020-game-ready-driver/

RuneSR2 where are you??? Rune is going to go crazy with this...

I can just picture it now...RuneSR2 playing Index with 144hz 200% steam supersampling and now Nvida's new VRSS!! LOL  😛

I wondered why my drivers updated yesterday! I've just installed windows 10 again on a new M.2 mvne drive too so looking forward to trying this VRSS tonight with my Rift S + Boneworks.  😄
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
57 REPLIES 57

I'm relaxed when it happens to me but I can see it can annoy some people. I will take this opportunity though to remind people to get into the habit of doing a quick search before creating a new thread though if at all possible, it's good forum etiquette.

Plus it can be a problem, not so much with info threads like this, but when new posters have a problem and don't search, as we then get multiple threads with different suggestions of solutions, which each thread OP is likely to miss... or 1 person then posts the same solution in multiple threads which knock other equally important threads down the forum list. I've merged such threads before but it seems to only be a temporary fix as it happens again.... a lot!

Anyway, I don't know if this forum is any different to other forums except that it's way busier and the mods log on when they have the time, it's not my full-time job.... or anyone else's!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks DaftnDirect, no problem like I said no biggie!

OK back to the topic!

After reading some (but not all) of the blurb, it looks like this is fixed foveated rendering, with the addition of a snappy nvidia acronym and RTX only sales incentive.

I can understand if it's using hardware that's only in the RTX cards but that surely is a choice they've made rather than a necessity. Oculus can include fixed foveated rending with their drivers that make use of a bigger range of GPUs couldn't they?

Well, anyway, I wonder if VRSS and headset manufacturers own (possibly planned?) fixed foveated rendering will play nice with each other. Or are the likes of Oculus now going to leave this to the GPU manufacturer? Is there going to be a redundancy or a multiplier effect of having two types of rendering running at the same time that'll just cause confusion?

Won't future eye-tracked foveated rending render (sorry) all of this redundant?

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

've been upgrading video cards frequently since I got my 3dfx Voodoo Graphics in 1996, I'm a great fan of 100+ % speed bumps (like when upgrading to Voodoo2 SLI, those were the days, lol), but not 50% which often got eaten by vsync (like going from Geforce 3 Ti 500 to Geforce 4 Ti 4600, kinda boring). 

I remember the 3dfx Voodoo card. I remember at the time some guy in school telling me that "soon" we would have goggles where we could see 3d worlds. I wonder where that dude is now. It took much longer than he thought but we're finally here.

In the past, a better graphics card just got you a certain % better frame rates. With VR it's like you only have two fps levels 45fps / 90 fps. So now the question is less about % increase and more about how many games and what graphics settings will get bumped from 45fps to 90fps. 

At this point, you're smart to wait for the 3080ti. I wouldn't buy a 2080ti now unless it's used. Actually, a used 2080ti would be a good idea because it won't lose much value. But when the 3080ti comes out enthusiasts will sell their 2080ti's and the price might drop a bit depending on the pricing of the new cards. 

Personally, I want some faster CPU's. I've been waiting forever for a legit 5Ghz CPU. The 9900KS fits the bill but I'd like to see it at 10nm or 7nm. 

We're also hitting Moore's Law so we're not seeing 100% increases in performance anymore. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

But when the 3080ti comes out enthusiasts will sell their 2080ti's and the price might drop a bit depending on the pricing of the new cards. 

I do this every time.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

MowTin said:

But when the 3080ti comes out enthusiasts will sell their 2080ti's and the price might drop a bit depending on the pricing of the new cards. 

I do this every time.

At least you don't do something crazy like just hang on to your old card. I have a 1080ti sitting there doing nothing. 

I'm too lazy to sell stuff on eBay. I just end up collecting cards. I gave away my 980ti to my brother. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

MowTin said:

I do this every time.

At least you don't do something crazy like just hang on to your old card. I have a 1080ti sitting there doing nothing. 

I'm too lazy to sell stuff on eBay. I just end up collecting cards. I gave away my 980ti to my brother. 

I'm sure you easily can get 50 bucks for your 1080 Ti in here, just so you don't end up with nothing  😄

2080 Ti is only 30% faster than 1080 Ti (in 4K res), but now you also got VRSS - although a bit late with maybe 5 months to the Ampere launch.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I just hope the new 3080 cards are more reasonably priced (as the rumours suggest). Nvidia's prices have gotten way out of hand over the past two generations--an RTX 2080 Super costs 50% more than what I paid for a GTX 980 five years ago. My GTX 1080 is still doing the job well enough, but I'm starting to itch for an upgrade, especially now that the new features (raytracing, VRSS) are being used in games I'm interested in.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^You are not joking, and like you i will be sticking with my GTX1080 for the foreseeable future, unless this VRSS turns a card like the RTX2060 into this amazing godlike VR running machine, but i will wait until i see some actual hands on reviews to show that Nvida are not just blowing smoke......again. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

I do this every time.

So do I, and as soon as EVGA has a 3080 Ti FTW3 I will be all over it.
Used to be I would buy a step down from current cards, this is what VR has done to me now.