New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v13 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 271 Oculus Staff
edited January 8 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Important note:
This PTC software is not compatible with the Oculus Link feature on Oculus Quest. In order to use remote rendering, please opt out of the PTC to return to PC software version 12. We continue to work on improving this experience in future releases. Thanks for your patience!

Events
  • We’ve made improvements to the Oculus Event Invite feature.
    • Event hosts can now allow guests to invite their own friends.
    • Viewing a developer created event will now allow you to view a list of all your friends who have indicated that they are interested in the event.
    • Viewing a user created event will now allow you to view a list of all users who have indicated that they are interested in the event as well as all users who have been invited to the event, similar to Events pages on Facebook.
    • You can control whether or not you appear as part of the above invited or interested lists via the "Who can see your activity on Oculus" privacy setting.
Oculus Mirror
  • We’ve exposed the customization options to the Oculus Mirror tool as a Graphical User Interface.
    • These options will allow you to do things like adjust the mirror type, choose which eye(s) is displayed on the mirror, adjust the FOV scale of the mirror, and also take screenshots.
    • You can also save and load Oculus Mirror settings within the File menu, which will also save and restore the window position and size.
    • Hotkeys for these new options can be found next to each item within the Settings and File menus.
    • The tool will automatically reconnect to the Oculus Service in the event of a service restart.
    • The Oculus Mirror tool can be launched by navigating to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics and selecting OculusMirror.exe.

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    Oooo!  The mirror options sound useful :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • American.DJ1985discoAmerican.DJ1985disco Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    So this new version doesn't even address the current problems with version 12? Kinda hard to test out these new features when I can't even use my Rift S anymore.
    That sucks.  Did you try the new version to see if they just didn't include the fixes in the patch notes?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,523 Valuable Player
    New version working fine for me with Rift S so far, however I never had a problem with Version 12 either. Guess I have been lucky.
    I wish they would push a PTC out for Quest also so one could continue to use Link while participating in the PTC.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    so you bring out another PTC when non PTC users say they still have issues with v12 and the last PTC we had still didnt fix the problems for some, i know i havent had any issues after the last PTC but now you have forced this PTC out so if it breaks my rift s i cant opt out because v12 bricks it, well done i congratualte you on this one
  • MegalithikMegalithik Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    So you're going a whole new version # but not addressing all the problems v12 has introduced ?!  Who's running the show over there?!
  • cannowcannow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    quick test no better . Option to roll back to pre v12 please
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 271 Oculus Staff
    @morphee7 - Hi there - I believe you've seen my comments on the v12 release note thread, but I'd encourage anyone who is experiencing an issue to open a customer support ticket to work through their specific problem(s). Sometimes, a user's specific PC configuration can play a role in these types of things, so it's helpful for our team to work with people one on one. I would also encourage users to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the desktop software (including system information is always helpful!) as it remains the quickest and best way to ensure our engineering team gets eyes on the reported issue. Please know that our team is always working hard to resolve any reported issues as quickly as possible. Thanks.
  • cannowcannow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    No point when was working , just don't push out bad software to the main release . PTC fine . Or at least offer a roll back solution . Performance had dropped but woopee do I can have facebook adds . Pre V12 rollback solution please.
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    So this new version doesn't even address the current problems with version 12? Kinda hard to test out these new features when I can't even use my Rift S anymore.
    That sucks.  Did you try the new version to see if they just didn't include the fixes in the patch notes?
    Will try when I get home but I don't see how the most pressing issue currently could be omitted.

This issue is a massive problem for lots of people. Everyone knows about it at Oculus but they won't post anything about it publicly. THIS is what many of us want to know about and a stupid PTC like this is a slap in the face. I've had my ticket open for weeks and used the feedback option every time the new PTC or general release hasn't fixed the version 12 problems. I know there is nothing I can do but wait and unfortunately Oculus won't make any public statements about it but they continue to respond to other issues regularly and continue to work on things like how our hair looks in a virtual mirror. 
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • masterx1234masterx1234 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    I want to report a bug, Seems the update breaks the ability to select anything in Beat Saber (Steam version). When in game it detects the controllers, HMD and properly knows where my controllers are but I cant select anything in the menus or click on continue. Tried rebinding it in the steam VR settings. No luck. I am 100% certain I didnt change anything since last time I played it. 
  • masterx1234masterx1234 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok fixed it, put in "-vrmode oculus" and now it works, But the strange thing is I never had to do this before. and was running it perfectly in steamVR mode for months. Oh well. all is good. 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    Happy to report that my CV1 + 3 still works and I can still log in here without a Facebook account.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    @ShowbizDonkey my point is that theres still a few people are still having issues with the last PTC and yet this one comes out, As for putting tickets in i have had to put 2 different tickets in over time about issues which got me removing software changing drivers taking cables out then a patch comes out and magicly fixes the issue then another patch comes out and brings back old problems, btw i still have a ticket open about the robot/dalek voice sounding issue with the mic which again the last PTC fixed and yet i get a message back today sorry for the wait and will get to my ticket in turn.

• KeljuKelju Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    There are LOT of people still with performance problems with the 12 and PTC versions. Just look at VR game discords and forums.. Granted many propably have not made support ticket that might give false sense of the scale of the problem to oculus staff, but that is not the issue here.
    The real issue is Oculus folk being so in love with their own creation that they dont want to see the problem in it's scale and severity. Testimony to that is the absence of official rollback method.
    Even christmas sales customers left with not working product. Wake the f up OCULUS!!!!!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,142 Valuable Player
    OK, I got the new 13 PTC update today and it's a big thumbs down from me (cv1 w/2x sensors).  When I use the Desktop in oculus home (actually homeless for me) and move my head side to side I get black artifacts on each side of the screen.  

Also, X-Plane 11 will not properly shut down without using task manager.  This has not been the case since 1.39 for me.

Anyway, I opted out of beta and now all's well again!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited January 8
    TomCgcmfc said:
    OK, I got the new 13 PTC update today and it's a big thumbs down from me (cv1 w/2x sensors).  When I use the Desktop in oculus home (actually homeless for me) and move my head side to side I get black artifacts on each side of the screen.  

Also, X-Plane 11 will not properly shut down without using task manager.  This has not been the case since 1.39 for me.

Anyway, I opted out of beta and now all's well again!

I'll bet you can't wait for this to go live before they fix it ;)

I don't have X-Plane, but I went back in and looked at the desktop thing you mentioned. Mine is okay, sorry.

• GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    so they blocked any way to roll back if you update to PTC13?
    That's genius!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,142 Valuable Player
    Globespy said:
    That's genius!
    No, I had no problem opting out of 13 PTC and rolled back to 12.1.  Maybe try again?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• urboijimmyurboijimmy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    When v13 Is fully released will the oculus link mic work?
  • jibblejayjibblejay Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Seriously. It's been over two weeks and you still haven't fixed the severe performance issues you created with version 12.0?!? Either get off your asses and fix it or give us an official option to roll back. I was able to roll back previously and it fixed my performance issues, but somehow I got updated and now it won't let me play when I roll back unless I update. Two years I've been using the Rift without an issue. Now it might as well be a paperweight. 
  • MondoCatMondoCat Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Yup, my Rift S still a hunk of garbage!
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    jibblejay said:
    Seriously. It's been over two weeks and you still haven't fixed the severe performance issues you created with version 12.0?!? Either get off your asses and fix it or give us an official option to roll back.
    According to the release notes, version 12 was released "the week of Dec. 9th."  So its actually more like 3 weeks pushing a month for some people. II have an open ticket on this where I asked why they won't just let us roll back until they sort this out. The response was that roll back is not available "at this time." I asked if it would ever be available and... they ignored the question in their followup response.

They also told me that I would have to patient for a response and a fix because its the holidays. I haven't pointed out yet that they were the ones that chose to release a known buggy driver right before Christmas. I have lost all faith in Oculus Devs now. I don't think anyone would care how long it took them to fix this issue if they just had a roll back option.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • ImmeinenImmeinen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 9
    Important note:
    This PTC software is not compatible with the Oculus Link feature on Oculus Quest. In order to use remote rendering, please opt out of the PTC to return to PC software version 12. We continue to work on improving this experience in future releases. Thanks for your patience!

Events
    • We’ve made improvements to the Oculus Event Invite feature.
      • Event hosts can now allow guests to invite their own friends.
      • Viewing a developer created event will now allow you to view a list of all your friends who have indicated that they are interested in the event.
      • Viewing a user created event will now allow you to view a list of all users who have indicated that they are interested in the event as well as all users who have been invited to the event, similar to Events pages on Facebook.
      • You can control whether or not you appear as part of the above invited or interested lists via the "Who can see your activity on Oculus" privacy setting.
    Oculus Mirror
    • We’ve exposed the customization options to the Oculus Mirror tool as a Graphical User Interface.
      • These options will allow you to do things like adjust the mirror type, choose which eye(s) is displayed on the mirror, adjust the FOV scale of the mirror, and also take screenshots.
      • You can also save and load Oculus Mirror settings within the File menu, which will also save and restore the window position and size.
      • Hotkeys for these new options can be found next to each item within the Settings and File menus.
      • The tool will automatically reconnect to the Oculus Service in the event of a service restart.
      • The Oculus Mirror tool can be launched by navigating to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics and selecting OculusMirror.exe.
    My link doesnt work anymore. How to roll back v12?
  • ImmeinenImmeinen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Globespy said:
    That's genius!
    No, I had no problem opting out of 13 PTC and rolled back to 12.1.  Maybe try again?
    How did you roll back to 12.1?
    edited January 9
    Immeinen said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Globespy said:
    That's genius!
    How did you roll back to 12.1?

You just opt out of the PTC, you will be rolled back to the "stable" release.

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 523
    Neo
    Er... that's all? The Oculus Mirror is pointless and Events is pretty much a way for Facebook to tighten its social grip on the tech. What about the tech itself? That's what your clients are here for, ffs...
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • daws72daws72 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited January 9
    Since 1.12 and in 1.13 too. I've this kind of problems only on specific Unreal Engine Games (Contractors and Surv1ve) 

As you can see there's some kind of stuttering, particulary visible with ghosting hands, double images.
    It's obvious that ASW is not working, even it is setted to auto. If forced to 40 ASW on, it works, but of course is not the real solution.
    This games was perfect on previous 1.0.43 drivers.
    It's not a pc problem, as I got the same problems in two totally different pc, with both my CV1 and Rift-S.
    It's not a performance problem, as other titles like Stormland, Asgard Wrath, Pavolv, runs perfectly fine. (1080, 8600K)
    All Unity titles works ok.

So my conclusion is something related to some (old) version of UE engine, that has something not compatible with latest Oculus driver. I don't have Assetto Corsa Competizione, but I know is based on UE too.
    Please investigate and fix this mess, it's been about a month...
    Thanks.
  • flylow2019flylow2019 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    This is crazy! I've been in touch with Oculus Support for three weeks now and they can not find a solution for the previous version and release a new one with Facebook things that most of us don't need or want. I've a bricked Oculus Rift S that I need to work and hey solutions presented don't work. In my last message to Support  I wrote this:

We are now on the third week since I contacted Oculus Support and I’ve not heard of a viable solution to the USB 3.0 problem yet. I continue to not be able to use the Oculus Rift S as I need – and I do need it to write about VR professionally – as I spend more time playing the game “Restart Your Software” than using the headset. I’ve now, with a PCI card I bought (powered from the PSU) following Oculus and users suggestion,  11 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 3.1 and 2 USB 3.1 Type-C on the machine the Rift S is used with, and still the software from Oculus states “USB 3.0 required”. Well, it was working until the 12.0 update, and had been for many months since I acquired the Rift S to use instead of the original Rift.

Just to make things clear, I’ve tested the Rift S in three different machines:

Intel i7–9700K/32GB RAM/RTX 2070/ NVMe SSD, SATA SSD/ Windows 10 Pro v 1909

Intel i7–4770/16GB RAM/GTX 970/SATA SSD, HDD/ Windows 10 Pro v 1903

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/16GB RAM/RTX 2070/ NVMe SSD, SATA SSD / Windows 10 Pro v 1909

and the result is the same: it says  USB 3.0 is required. This can not be true!

I need you to find a solution for this as it can not be a problem of my computer/computers!

Hope to hear from someone at Oculus soon!

No word from Oculus yet. Maybe it is time to go public with this.
  • BlackDotBlackDot Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Rolled back to 12.0, now my Party Link cable works, but my Oculus Link cable is completely dead. My Link cable had been working for over a week with no problem.