cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Particulate looks very cool.  Too bad even the Steam store version only supports Oculus Rift for now.  The developer said he will port it over to Vive/Index as soon as he gets time to do so.  I'll probably wait until he does this because I'm not a big fan of Revive.  I bet this is going to look fantastic on my Vive Pro!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I just want to say that the video column correction settings have fixed my vertical line problem with the index. The image looks so much better. The index image is just gorgeous. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

I just want to say that the video column correction settings have fixed my vertical line problem with the index. The image looks so much better. The index image is just gorgeous. 

I use -7 left and -8 right, but it's still not perfect. But sometimes it looks really close to perfect. I can't figure out if I'm too demanding - or if my vision using new glasses in the hmd makes my vision too sharp and causes me to notice stuff that many can't see. I often ask persons who can't see inverted vertical lines if they ever noticed the extremely faint horizontal SDE lines and the dot pattern in orange and red colors, and usually I get no response  😞

What values do you use? Are the vertical lines completely gone (try a game of Fujii  >:))

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like Indices aren't the only lcd hmds plagued by inverted pixel lines:

I've owned 8 different headsets over the past 2 years and I never encountered that issue. Maybe my eyes are just bad

Interesting - I just noticed this issue on my Rift S, though the lines are oriented horizontally. I saw it in the Lone Echo loading screen, which is fairly uniform in its grayness. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The animated newspaper just arrived  😉

https://youtu.be/yJ6gXWm6HwU

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

PluckeyOne
Protege
The textures on that poor guy are just insane.

gutbw9sk0idf.jpeg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The textures on that poor guy are just insane.

Agreed, not sure Valve normally depicts this kind of violence, so Alyx definitely is not for kids - I tried to capture a more clear image:

6ob4q3rtnswv.jpg
Hmmm, already now I think we have a winner - I can't remember having seen a more gruesome image in any VR games/apps than what Valve just did - although some may be offended by showing such images in a game... Then again, Saints & Sinners will probably also have it's share of pure gruesomeness, lol
Does look like a game for the Index and not the CV1 if textures look like this, but I guess that's expected from the Source engine. Don't know what I'm look forward to the most - Alyx gameplay or simply to experience The Full Power of the Source Engine Unleashed  ❤️  B)
Don't care what they call it - this looks like HL3 to me - or just the real HL2... 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Heh Rune, not to get off topic but I think I found a way you might improve your Index blacks/contrast with Westworld Awakening.  I was playing with my wireless Cosmos today (I hate to brag, lol!) and I found that if I increase the Westworld Awakening graphics setting from Gamma 50 (default) to 75 there was a huge improvement.  Blacks seemed a bit better and the contrast was much better.  Actually looked as good as my cv1 w/2.0 SS.  Since the Cosmos and Index both have lcd screens I thought I would mention this.  Maybe if developers offer diff gamma setting on their games this will help bridge the gap between oled/lcd.  Who knows?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Heh Rune, not to get off topic but I think I found a way you might improve your Index blacks/contrast with Westworld Awakening.  I was playing with my wireless Cosmos today (I hate to brag, lol!) and I found that if I increase the Westworld Awakening graphics setting from Gamma 50 (default) to 75 there was a huge improvement.  Blacks seemed a bit better and the contrast was much better.  Actually looked as good as my cv1 w/2.0 SS.  Since the Cosmos and Index both have lcd screens I thought I would mention this.  Maybe if developers offer diff gamma setting on their games this will help bridge the gap between oled/lcd.  Who knows?

Interesting - thanks - I'll try it later!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So everything is good (or close) only in Japan  😮

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-sold-out-stock-half-life-alyx/