cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift Maintenance Thread

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe it could be great with a thread about taking proper care of the Rift (and Quest - or whatever hmd you use).

I'd be happy to start with one subject. Especially the Rift CV1 is known for the straps becoming white after some years - it looks like this (note this is not my CV1, I found this photo on the web):

ydz8y3tk0brt.jpg

That does look bad - can't have guests over and then hand them a hmd that looks like something the cat dragged home from the sewer, lol - and my CV1 was starting to look much the same. But I just found a great solution (I think) - now my CV1 looks mint again (or close)  😄

ynsketre55qe.jpg

Also, I still use this solution for storing both Index and CV1 - basically means no dust at all and CV1 looks like new with very little dust accumulated:

ahl73l2hprlb.jpg

Had some large transparent bags for CGC mags, but they work for HMDs too 😉 Index is in the front, CV1 in the back. The bags aren't completely sealed to allow some ventilation and avoid any build-up of humidity and moisture.  

If you have some tricks or ideas for taking great care of your hmd, do post them here!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

17 REPLIES 17

lensmandave
Superstar
Just trade in the cable for a world cruise or something Don. 😄
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just trade in the cable for a world cruise or something Don. 😄

Lol yeah tempting, it is still even sealed up in it's box.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Got my refurbished CV1 today, just a spare unit in case I should ever need it  o:) - Quite some journey, but box looked fine:

xrbaikmoyzrv.jpg

Had to spend time giving it some thorough cleaning - and suddenly it struck me that using another person's toothbrush or Oculus facial interface may not really be different  :# Luckily I still had my old facial interface 😉 

Now the two twins have met  ❤️

t177mp4t9non.jpg

Just tested it - it works perfectly, lenses are fine, no scratches. Sound was fine. So that also gave me a spare cable. Image quality was different though - my refurbished CV1 had more warm colors, more deep colors. I'm starting to think that my old CV1 is showing signs of age and usage, although the old one still looks great - just different. The old one seems to be more bright, but I know that at least Sony's Trinitron CRTs usually get more bright as they age, maybe oled is similar - or Oculus could of course have changed oled screen models, I don't know if my refurbished CV1 was produced before or after my first CV1. 
Btw, the refurbished CV1 was easy to set up - the Oculus desktop app immediately detected a new hmd and asked if I wanted to set it up - needed to pair Touch to the new hmd though. After testing the refurbished CV1, it was a breeze re-installing my original CV1, it was immediately recognized, no need to set up the Rift or re-pair Touch - it just worked as always. 

And then I finally found the question to one of the biggest questions in the universe: Why do men keep the original boxes? 

- Because they never know when they'll get spare parts in need of proper storage!  B)

u8lqjruhcw7f.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I never thought of grabbing a secondhand CV1, but i have a Vive so i think i am covered for the next year plus if one goes down, and hopefully by 2021 we get some new vr HMD on the market.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

OmegaM4N said:

^^I never thought of grabbing a secondhand CV1, but i have a Vive so i think i am covered for the next year plus if one goes down, and hopefully by 2021 we get some new vr HMD on the market.

I also have spare hifi stereo amplifiers, hifi cd players, and don't mention the spare hifi cassette decks to the wife - the rule is that I never use them, but it helps me sleep at night, lol

Also have another spare hmd if my original CV1 breaks down, I think it's called Lindex or something  😄 (sorry - admitted - that was a bad joke :blush: )

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I may have to get a spare spin as every time i pop into BL2 VR for 20 mins two plus hours fly by before the backache tells me it's time to rest, but on a plus at leats standing is better than sitting.....VR, they healthy choice. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Got this one today - better safe than sorry, so just for backup  o:) Brand new directly from Oculus:

a96dd8r4yt4w.jpg

Does feel kinda saddening - like the last rays of sunlight before the darkness comes  :'(  

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Maybe it could be great with a thread about taking proper care of the Rift (and Quest - or whatever hmd you use).

I'd be happy to start with one subject. Especially the Rift CV1 is known for the straps becoming white after some years - it looks like this (note this is not my CV1, I found this photo on the web):

ydz8y3tk0brt.jpg

That does look bad - can't have guests over and then hand them a hmd that looks like something the cat dragged home from the sewer, lol - and my CV1 was starting to look much the same. But I just found a great solution (I think) - now my CV1 looks mint again (or close)  😄

If you have some tricks or ideas for taking great care of your hmd, do post them here!

Mine looked like that - quick wipe with a damp cloth and it was all gone 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2