New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S USB connection failed via pc_hal_sensor_data_read

K.R.QuintenK.R.Quinten Posts: 14
Brain Burst
edited January 7 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Specs:

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G
i7 8700k
16gb ram
msi z370 gaming plus

My Rift S suddenly stopped working 3 days ago it starts to disconnect while playing a game and says no displayport connection
but connects a couple seconds after but then disconnect and reconnect over and over...

Things i have tried been trying for 3 days now no response from Oculus support itself

- The 'wait 60 seconds after pluggin in your USB cable' thing
- Unplugging the cable from the headset side
- Installing the Oculus driver via C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers.
- Reinstalling the Oculus Software & Deleted all files in Appdata etc (about 5 times)
- Using the Oculus Repair Option (about 5 times)
- Disabled/Enbale the Camera Permissions
- Disabled the Power Management of all my USBs "Also tried to remove some devices"
- Windows up to date
- Updating Bios
- Updating my GPU Drivers "and clean reinstalled"
- Swapped Displayports
- Changed energy plans
- Disabled virusscanner "also while installing / reinstalling Oculus"
- Tried to disable x.m.p in Bios settings
- In and out of oculus beta restarting the oculus service removed my monitor and other usb's to see if it would work with less usbs connected
- Made a new profile on windows
- Tried inatek PCI-e usb 3.0 Card
- Tried to disable g-sync / v-sync
- Uninstalled Corsair keyboard Icue "possible conflict"
- Extention cable didnt work either

i have uploaded my logs from the past hour where it starts crashing drive: drive(dot)google(dot)com/file/d/14LCx0HiPNZoyk5_uYZbFOwoTHFapgS1t

Comments

• rlnasutirlnasuti Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    I replied to your other thread, but am copying the reply here as well.

I've had this exact same problem for months. I consulted with Oculus support back in November and we never resolved the problem. After about a week of troubleshooting I was told to enroll in the Public Test Channel, and a new firmware update seemed to lower the frequency of the problem.

That is until recently. I last played on 12/24. I went to play on 1/1 and the Oculus Rift S is just dead. I've tried different ports on the computer for both DisplayPort and USB, and even tried a different computer. It seems like power is no longer being delivered through the cable, but I have yet to confirm that.

I've ordered a replacement cable to see if that resolves the issue (ordered 1/4, hasn't shipped). Hopefully it's just a fried cable and not a friend headset. I also opened a support case with Oculus on 1/1, but I have yet to receive a response to that.

In the meantime, I setup my CV1 again. I've been with them since the DK2, but this latest experience with the Rift-S has me questioning whether I want to stay with Oculus.

Here's hoping that your "pc_hal_sensor" error doesn't turn into a "device not detected" error.
  • K.R.QuintenK.R.Quinten Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    This is just insane i have been trying to fix this for the past 4 days straight i spent like atleast 5 hours a day on the internet to find for a solution it just keeps disconnecting and connecting over and over i havent had a response from Oculus either..
    i still have a year warrenty i ordered an extension cable for the displayport if that doesnt work i tried every possible solution
    im getting so sick and tired of this if this issue can not be solved i am going to buy another headset but no way im ever going back to Oculus just out of nothing it started doing this sht i always store it save havent even played over 30 hours in total on it maybe its because i bought a gen 1 on pre-order i really have no idea what is wrong with it i just tried to disable g-sync / v-sync that was my last option i could think off but guess what it still disconnects randomly out of nothing there must be something in regedit or group policy or something thats the only thing i havent tried i reinstalled the oculus software like 9/10 times in the past 4 days also went into beta etc nothing seems to work...
    Brain Burst
    rlnasuti said:
    I replied to your other thread, but am copying the reply here as well.

I've had this exact same problem for months. I consulted with Oculus support back in November and we never resolved the problem. After about a week of troubleshooting I was told to enroll in the Public Test Channel, and a new firmware update seemed to lower the frequency of the problem.

That is until recently. I last played on 12/24. I went to play on 1/1 and the Oculus Rift S is just dead. I've tried different ports on the computer for both DisplayPort and USB, and even tried a different computer. It seems like power is no longer being delivered through the cable, but I have yet to confirm that.

I've ordered a replacement cable to see if that resolves the issue (ordered 1/4, hasn't shipped). Hopefully it's just a fried cable and not a friend headset. I also opened a support case with Oculus on 1/1, but I have yet to receive a response to that.

In the meantime, I setup my CV1 again. I've been with them since the DK2, but this latest experience with the Rift-S has me questioning whether I want to stay with Oculus.

Here's hoping that your "pc_hal_sensor" error doesn't turn into a "device not detected" error.
    Could you let me know if you get the cable if the issue has been fixed?
    this is really drivin me crazy
    Thanks
    Brain Burst
    It's definitely the cable. And worse - I think they know it. And instead of coming right out and telling us, they make us jump through hoops so that they don't have to admit they've fucked up.

My support case is a joke. I'll update today and ask for a credit for the cable, but after explaining to her what the problem was "Becca" gave me the same canned response I got in September back when I first started getting the hal_sensor_read error. She's obviously just copying and pasting a canned response because adding Oculus to an antivirus whitelist is NOT going to suddenly supply the headset with power. It just doesn't work that way. *eye roll*

New cable came today. Plugged it in. IMMEDIATELY see the little red light on the headset. It's CLEARLY a problem with the wire being burned out.

And then I got to go through the whole song and dance.

"Rift-S audio not detect"
    restart oculus
    restart oculus
    restart computer
    "Oculus software updated. Restart required"
    restart oculus
    restart oculus
    restart oculus

at this point I googled and see "turn off windows access to camera"

OK, I do that.

"sensors not detected"

Google that. "Turn on windows access to camera" - I'm not even making this shit up

So I turn it on.

"Displayport not connected" 

Of course it is, but this is progress! A couple more unplugs and replugs, and I just got out of Beat Saber on my Rift-S.

Now - the million dollar question - is it just a matter of time until this NEW cable burns out? I'm still seeing firmware updates and software updates every other day. They are still working on the problem and keeping it hush-hush. 

I don't appreciate it Oculus. This is how you break trust and lose customers. It would be much better to say "Yeah, there's a known problem. We're working on a fix. Don't waste your money on a replacement cable for now, because you'll just burn it out again."

I'm happy that my Rift-S is working; I had forgotten how much better the picture is than the CV1. But I"m also livid right now with Oculus for screwing with me for 3 MONTHS. If we online amateur sleuths figured it out, then they sure as hell know what the problem is.

Brain Burst
    • BeccaYesterday at 18:47

Hello Robert,

I was able to successfully review your logs and would like you to complete the following steps next:

• Ensure that Oculus is added to the white list of your anti-virus program. Sometimes the software can conflict then repair the software.
      • Enroll into our Public Test Channel. This will ensure you are receiving the latest updates.
      • Make sure that both your Rift S and main monitor are connected to the same dedicated graphic card driver without the use of extenders or adapters.
      • See that your Windows version is current.

If nothing changes can you let us know if the cable appears to have any bends, twist or kinks and if either end has any bent pins? If you suspect there is any, can you provide us a photo.

Please let us know how the progress goes. We want to ensure you have a great VR experience.

Warm wishes,

Becca
      Oculus Support

• Robert Nasuti Jr.Today at 16:04

Becca - none of that is going to help. The headset is not even receiving power. I looked at the cable and it doesn't appear to have any twists, bends, or kinks, or bent pins - however, my new cable arrived today and that fixed the problem.

I noticed in the past that the USB end of the Oculus wire gets obscenely hot. I suspect Oculus knows this. I don't appreciate being given the runaround for 3 months when Oculus is aware the entire time that the problem is the cable.

I have 2 questions. Please answer them directly or put me in touch with someone who can:

1. Can I get an Oculus Store credit to reimburse the cost of the new cable? This headset was less than a year old when the cable burned out through no fault of my own.

2. Is this new cable going to burn out? Or has Oculus fixed the problem?

Brain Burst
    • BeccaYesterday at 18:47

Hello Robert,

I was able to successfully review your logs and would like you to complete the following steps next:

• Ensure that Oculus is added to the white list of your anti-virus program. Sometimes the software can conflict then repair the software.
      • Enroll into our Public Test Channel. This will ensure you are receiving the latest updates.
      • Make sure that both your Rift S and main monitor are connected to the same dedicated graphic card driver without the use of extenders or adapters.
      • See that your Windows version.

If nothing changes can you let us know if the cable appears to have any bends, twist or kinks and if either end has any bent pins? If you suspect there is any, can you provide us a photo.

Please let us know how the progress goes. We want to ensure you have a great VR experience.

Warm wishes,

Becca
      Oculus Support

• Robert Nasuti Jr.Today at 16:04

Becca - none of that is going to help. The headset is not even receiving power. I looked at the cable and it doesn't appear to have any twists, bends, or kinks, or bent pins - however, my new cable arrived today and that fixed the problem.

I noticed in the past that the USB end of the Oculus wire gets obscenely hot. I suspect Oculus knows this. I don't appreciate being given the runaround for 3 months when Oculus is aware the entire time that the problem is the cable.

I have 2 questions. Please answer them directly or put me in touch with someone who can:

1. Can I get an Oculus Store credit to reimburse the cost of the new cable? This headset was less than a year old when the cable burned out through no fault of my own.

2. Is this new cable going to burn out? Or has Oculus fixed the problem?

Brain Burst
    Just got a replacement today and works fine again but had to restart it a couple times and reinstall firmware