New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Oculus Link cable is not working for me. Anyone else have this issue?

TuSwabTuSwab Posts: 1
NerveGear
My third-party cable works perfectly fine but I cannot enable Oculus Link with the $80 cable that I just received. The oculus software will detect that the quest is plugged in to my USB-C port, yet I get no pop up to turn on Oculus Link and It wont work manually either because the quest doesnt know its plugged in. 

I've submitted 2 support tickets with no response. I've also posted on reddit and I found that there are other users with this exact problem. They have also submitted tickets with no response. I'm about to send it back for a refund, but I really want this cable to work.

Comments

• Lavalamp202Lavalamp202 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have a very similar problem, I also don't have an option to start it from my computer but I do have an option to on my quest. My headset does know that it's plugged in but whenever I click the button to start it instantly tells me that it has stopped working, so technically I get a little further than you but it's essentially the same problem. If you do find a solution please let me know since my official cable is the only cable that I own, but until then, best of luck.
  • J-TrickyJ-Tricky Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited January 4
    I have almost the same problem. My 3rd party cable (partylink) works perfectly as well but when my oculus cable is plugged directly into the same USB-C port on my computer windows tells me “USB Device not recognized” I then get a more detailed message saying it’s either not recognized or malfunctioning and I should try plugging it back in. I have tried other ports, rebooting, uninstalling, updating, Nothing seems to work. 

*EDIT* - I should also mention that the oculus software does not seem to detect the headset. It says “General Device Error” and under that the red icon indicating USB 3 is needed (All of my ports are thunderbolt ports). I can connect using this cable through one of my USB-A ports by using an adapter but I lose the charging functionality which is why I purchased this cord. 
  • kilogoldkilogold Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    edited January 6
    Chiming in with the same problem.

My third party cable from Amazon:
    GodSpin USB-C to USB-C Cable (20Gbps) SuperSpeed [Certified] USB Type-C to USB Type-C, 100W Power (USB 3.1 & 3.2 Compatible) Nylon Braided, Dual 4k or Single 5k @60hz Display (6.6ft/20Gbps)

When running my PC, I restarted both Quest and computer.
    Quest is detected on my PC with both cables (albeit inconsistently when using the official Quest Link cable):
    Using Oculus Link cable, I get the "PC not detected" error when enabling Link manually through Quest settings.
    Without touching or restarting anything else, I simply swap out the cables and everything works.

Running on Windows 10, all updates. I am using a 3.1 USB-C port.
    My computer is an Origin Laptop, Eon17-X (aka Clevo P775TM1-G).
    Brain Burst
    For those seeking other related threads:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ejssau/oculus_link_cable_not_working/
  • mm2butlermm2butler Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    kilogold said:
    Chiming in with the same problem.

My third party cable from Amazon:
    GodSpin USB-C to USB-C Cable (20Gbps) SuperSpeed [Certified] USB Type-C to USB Type-C, 100W Power (USB 3.1 & 3.2 Compatible) Nylon Braided, Dual 4k or Single 5k @60hz Display (6.6ft/20Gbps)

When running my PC, I restarted both Quest and computer.
    Quest is detected on my PC with both cables (albeit inconsistently when using the official Quest Link cable):
    Using Oculus Link cable, I get the "PC not detected" error when enabling Link manually through Quest settings.
    Without touching or restarting anything else, I simply swap out the cables and everything works.

Running on Windows 10, all updates. I am using a 3.1 USB-C port.
    My computer is an Origin Laptop, Eon17-X (aka Clevo P775TM1-G).
    I am having the exact same issue.  I've submitted my logs via a support ticket but have not received a response back.  I haven't tried a third party cable because I was just waiting for the official but so far no luck.  I keep just getting "PC not detected" error no matter what I try.

Please share if anyone was able to resolve the issue.
    Brain Burst
    Here's an older thread on Reddit with some successes:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ehu2he/link_cable_not_working/

Nothing eye-opening yet. I wonder if Oculus devs are standing by, watching this unfold to collect enough information for a fix... We the community are basically paying nearly $90 to work as QA here. 

As the good ol' Facebook mantra goes: Move fast, break things.
    NerveGear
    Yeah, this is tough... I'll have to wait a bit here to see if they fix it.  If it's not working by the end of this month I'll probably request to return it for a refund.

Here is to hoping!
    Brain Burst
    Oculus just pushed out an update which was live on PTC: 
    Oculus App Version 12.0.0.306.268 (12.0.0.306.268)
    I can't seem to find any changelogs on it, but it fixed my issue. Official Link Cable now works!
    Here's the only thread bringing up the discussion:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83258/rift-s-and-rift-build-12-0-release-notes/p9

I would still like to see a changelog to understand the issue - but having it run will suffice for now...
    Thanks, Oculus.

• KozlovicaKozlovica Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 8
    Please do not say it is now working like you have above. ^^^^

Clearly, that is for you, which is good, but not all people have it working and it sort of brings this whole forum post to a conclusion saying it now works after latest patch.

That being said, I have the EXACT same problem as described at the top. I have the official cable plugged into my thunderbolt 3 port to my quest. I get the green check mark on the oculus app and yet I can't run it. I try manually in the Quest headset, but when I try to click on Oculus Link under settings, I get "PC NOT DETECTED" Quest and PC software are on V12 and I'm not on PTC, I have submitted a support ticket with no response and have waited roughly 1/2 weeks now.

I am from Australia and the cable cost me $126AUD to do nothing but take up 5m of space.

Please, if others are experiencing this problem, don't scroll past, let us know so we can help get this fixed or at least to Oculus attention.

Brain Burst
    edited January 8
    Kozlovica said:

Clearly, that is for you, which is good, but not all people have it working and it sort of brings this whole forum post to a conclusion saying it now works after latest patch.
    Of course, that's why I specifically speak for myself - my issue's conclusion:
    I can't seem to find any changelogs on it, but it fixed my issue.
    However, I should say I'm back to square one. After having it finally working, next time I booted my machine it was no longer working. Knowing that it worked at least once, I was determined to figure out how to get it running again.

I tried:
    • Rebooting both devices - at same and different intervals, with and without the cable connected.
    • Removed the headset profile on the Oculus Windows app. Re-added the Quest headset.
    • Left it connected for a while (20 mins or so) to see if it would pick anything up.
    • Toggle developer mode several times, with reboots in between.
    • Alternating between Thunderbolt & USB 3.1 (Type-C) ports, with reboots in between.
    Best result I got was inconsistent Oculus Link prompt in the headset, which led to a black screen as if perpetually loading.

I don't know which diagnostic logs to look at to investigate further. I'm convinced the problem is definitely a software issue - the hardware (HMD, PC, and cable) are proven to work, even if intermittently.

I expect another mysterious update will fix this. FWIW, Windows never fails to find the hardware device, it's Oculus runtime that's having issues. Probably a synchronization issue.

Edit:
    Contrary to a solution floating around on reddit, the moment it worked, I was in developer mode - I was working on my Unity project just fine.
    NerveGear
    kilogold said:
    Kozlovica said:

Of course, that's why I specifically speak for myself - my issue's conclusion:
    I can't seem to find any changelogs on it, but it fixed my issue.
    However, I should say I'm back to square one. After having it finally working, next time I booted my machine it was no longer working. Knowing that it worked at least once, I was determined to figure out how to get it running again.

I tried:
    • Rebooting both devices - at same and different intervals, with and without the cable connected.
    • Removed the headset profile on the Oculus Windows app. Re-added the Quest headset.
    • Left it connected for a while (20 mins or so) to see if it would pick anything up.
    • Toggle developer mode several times, with reboots in between.
    • Alternating between Thunderbolt & USB 3.1 (Type-C) ports, with reboots in between.
    Best result I got was inconsistent Oculus Link prompt in the headset, which led to a black screen as if perpetually loading.

I don't know which diagnostic logs to look at to investigate further. I'm convinced the problem is definitely a software issue - the hardware (HMD, PC, and cable) are proven to work, even if intermittently.

I expect another mysterious update will fix this. FWIW, Windows never fails to find the hardware device, it's Oculus runtime that's having issues. Probably a synchronization issue.

Edit:
    Contrary to a solution floating around on reddit, the moment it worked, I was in developer mode - I was working on my Unity project just fine.
    Interesting. I plugged my headset in today and turned off developer mode and it worked briefly. Reset my computer and back to square one as well. Tried everything I could think of as well. Bummer! 
    Brain Burst
    I have an update.
    This is the second time it happens, so I'm sharing something that might provide some insight...

After plugging in the Quest via official Quest Link cable to my PC for about 2-3 hours, just sitting there unused, I got the prompt for Oculus Link when I picked it up and put it on. I am currently using it right now.

Worth mentioning that Developer mode is currently disabled. Not gonna mess with it atm, since I'm working with it.
    As stated before, it's not the first time it's just plugged into my machine unused for hours before being able to use.

Perhaps someone can validate if this is a thing? Definitely expect an Oculus patch is all that is needed for this to work - probably an Oculus driver or whatnot...

• XeroldXerold Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Got my cable today and the headset cannot detect pc. My 3rd party usbA cable works just fine. Any clue if we will get a fix soon? 
    Brain Burst
    Are you on a laptop by chance? Which port are you connecting with? USB-C or USB-A (with adapter)?
    I'm wondering if it has to do with laptops having different form of shared USB ports, as opposed to a discrete connection to the motherboard? Perhaps that is a critical factor when switching between copper & fiber optic cable?

Plenty of people are in the dark troubleshooting this without a single response from Oculus as to whether this is on our end or theirs. I would happily stand-by if I knew I simply need to wait for Oculus to patch something on their end. Since I don't know whether my work machine should ever work with this cable, I'm going to return the Official Cable at this point and get the alternative cables... 

I'm actually depending on Oculus Link for development, and trying to get the Official Link Cable working has been a drain of company time & money. 

I know many places are back-ordered, and Oculus doesn't ship to everywhere (example: Malta). If anyone wants this cable, let me know - perhaps I can resell it to those who cannot purchase online.
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 769
    3Jane
    edited January 10
    So the Oculus Official cable doesn't work for me either. Connected to a USB C 3.1 Gen 2 on my Acer Triton 500 Laptop. Get green ticks on the Oculus software, but headset says my PC can't be detected. 

Have been using Link without issues previously using Ugreen USB 3.0 Extension and Ugreen A to C cable. 
    NerveGear
    edited January 10
    FYI - I bought an adapter on amazon (USB-C Adapter [Set of 5] ARKTEK) to convert it from USB C to USB and it's working (There was noticeable lag though).  It does appear to be an issue for people with laptops I have a fairly new HP Omen so I hope they are working on fix.  Will do some more testing this weekend on the adaptor but Asgard Wraith was having a bit of lag when I played it.

NerveGear
    mm2butler said:
    FYI - I bought an adapter on amazon (USB-C Adapter [Set of 5] ARKTEK) to convert it from USB C to USB and it's working (There was noticeable lag though).  It does appear to be an issue for people with laptops I have a fairly new HP Omen so I hope they are working on fix.  Will do some more testing this weekend on the adaptor but Asgard Wraith was having a bit of lag when I played it.

I have a few different adapters. One of them requires that I go into device manager, right click the USB and go to Power and uncheck the box. If I don’t I get lots of stuttering in the headset. The other adapter I have, has a chip in it. For that one I have to have the box checked or I get power surge notifications in windows. 

Hope that helps!
    NerveGear
    edited January 10
    kilogold said:
    Are you on a laptop by chance? Which port are you connecting with? USB-C or USB-A (with adapter)?
    I'm wondering if it has to do with laptops having different form of shared USB ports, as opposed to a discrete connection to the motherboard? Perhaps that is a critical factor when switching between copper & fiber optic cable?

Plenty of people are in the dark troubleshooting this without a single response from Oculus as to whether this is on our end or theirs. I would happily stand-by if I knew I simply need to wait for Oculus to patch something on their end. Since I don't know whether my work machine should ever work with this cable, I'm going to return the Official Cable at this point and get the alternative cables... 

I'm actually depending on Oculus Link for development, and trying to get the Official Link Cable working has been a drain of company time & money. 

I know many places are back-ordered, and Oculus doesn't ship to everywhere (example: Malta). If anyone wants this cable, let me know - perhaps I can resell it to those who cannot purchase online.
    Just so you know my specs... they are unique I’m sure, which is why I have not posted them. I’m running:

15 inch MacBook Pro Late 2016. 
    i7 6920 HQ
    16GB RAM
    AMD Radeon Pro 460 (dGPU)
    Razor Core X Chroma w/ Radeon VII (eGPU)
    Windows 10 EDU

I should note that I followed the egpu forums to disable the dGPU. Also some lanes needed to be disabled so windows could reallocate the power. To my knowledge the left two thunderbolt ports and the dGPU are disabled and that is the only change. This does not effect the right side thunderbolt ports. One is running the eGPU and the other is what I attempt to use but get errors in windows saying that the USB device is not recognized. The third party cable works fine in the same port. I can use the oculus cable with an adapter in the eGPU USB A ports perfectly fine. 
  • XeroldXerold Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    kilogold said:

Laptop. U?
    3Jane
    Do people who are are having issues with Oculus official Link cable have a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 which also supports USB 3.1 Gen 2? I’m wondering if that may have something to do with why it’s not working for some? I have a Thunderbolt 3 which works upto 40gbps, but also works as USB 3.1 Gen 2 upto 10gbps. Thunderbolt ports are technically also USB 3.1 ports, but USB C 3.1 ports can’t operate as Thunderbolt, correct? Has anyone had Link working on a Thunderbolt 3? 
  • The_Kingpin66The_Kingpin66 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Using the official link cable with a  Inateck KT2001 usb 3.1 pci-e card. Oculus software shows connection but as a usb 2, Tried driver updates to no avail. Thinking of returning this cable.   
    3Jane
    Same issue here. Using the official link cable with a  Inateck KT2001 usb 3.1 pci-e card. Oculus software shows connection but as a usb 2, Tried driver updates to no avail. Thinking of returning this cable.   
    My Oculus software shows as connected with green ticks and as USB 3.0, but headset doesn’t detect my PC. Oculus support had me run a diagnostic report to send them. I looked into some of the data myself, there was one for USB and I could see that Oculus PC software was detecting my headset connected to USB 3.0 and reporting no faults. 
  • endertuber123endertuber123 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    enigma01 said:
    Do people who are are having issues with Oculus official Link cable have a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 which also supports USB 3.1 Gen 2? I’m wondering if that may have something to do with why it’s not working for some? I have a Thunderbolt 3 which works upto 40gbps, but also works as USB 3.1 Gen 2 upto 10gbps. Thunderbolt ports are technically also USB 3.1 ports, but USB C 3.1 ports can’t operate as Thunderbolt, correct? Has anyone had Link working on a Thunderbolt 3? 
    I can personally confirm that Oculus Link can operate over Thunderbolt 3 with a USB 3.1 cable. I can't confirm that the Official Link Cable works over Thunderbolt 3. I don't think the problem is with any physical data/power limitations of the cable. I've been able to temporarily get it to work once by having the Oculus PC software and the Sidequest software on at the same time. The connection didn't last long, but it tells me that the cable CAN work, it just refuses to work for some reason. 
  • The_Kingpin66The_Kingpin66 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    enigma01 said:
    My Oculus software shows as connected with green ticks and as USB 3.0, but headset doesn’t detect my PC. Oculus support had me run a diagnostic report to send them. I looked into some of the data myself, there was one for USB and I could see that Oculus PC software was detecting my headset connected to USB 3.0 and reporting no faults. 
    Then I would have to believe it's a software issue at this time. 
    Brain Burst
    kilogold said:
    Since I don't know whether my work machine should ever work with this cable, I'm going to return the Official Cable at this point and get the alternative cables... 

So... I'm still trying to solve this mystery - and I am damn sure my boss is going to kill me for beating this dead horse... Maybe I'm stubborn...

I think I have learned something... But I'm in dire need of an expert's input on this.
    There's a recurring theme in this issue thread - most of us are attempting to connect via Thunderbolt, and we are not alone:
    On that last reddit post:

Cables: I got the recommended Anker cable with the Amazon basics extension which gives me a total of 10 feet. Though both cables work in general, the extension cable won’t be recognized by link if you connect it through a USB A port. I connected a USB C hub to the Thunderbolt port which gives me 3 additional USB A ports. Connected to one of those, both cables worked fine in conjunction. Disclaimer: Boneworks didn’t run as smoothly and froze several times with the extension cable so I guess the longer the better doesn’t apply here. But in general I think that connecting your cable through the Thunderbolt port (I didn’t have a USB C to USB C cable) will give you a better connection especially when your are on a slower PC.

According to Wikipedia:
    Thunderbolt 3 has limited power delivery capabilities on copper cables and no power delivery capability on optical cables. Using USB-C on copper cables, it can incorporate USB Power Delivery, allowing the ports to source or sink up to 100 watts of power.

Call me crazy (or ignorant) here but...
    It seems to me that anyone reporting stable success with Thunderbolt 3, is proxying through some sort of copper connection, instead of a direct optical connection (using adapters, hubs, etc.). It makes sense that copper wires work because they follow USB protocols to draw power, but perhaps a pure optical connection is not instructing the hardware to draw the expected amount of power to operate an Oculus optic cable. By using a typical adapter, the computer only sees a "copper USB cable connection", which happens to actually be an optical cable on the other end of the adapter, thus provides some expected amount of power.
    I'm guessing the Oculus proprietary drivers (not the hardware USB drivers) are expecting the power traffic to match a copper wire's power consumption to determine a valid connection for Oculus Link.

Because the power traffic differs in optical, perhaps the intermittent Thunderbolt success is that lucky timing (race condition) between the Oculus driver sampling a power consumption and an optical connection being recognized. It's almost as if there's a tiny window when the optical cable connection happens to consume about as much power as a copper cable...?
    Since optical cables provide no power, there must be some copper in the Oculus Link cable, if it's able to charge the Quest, right?

tl;dr....
    Maybe the Oculus driver is not programmed to handle a Thunderbolt connection?
  • softtouchphsofttouchph Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    I think the problem with laptops is, that no compatible video card is detected. I faced the same with my MSI VR Ready gaming laptop, which has an intel and also nvidea 1060 in it. The nvidea is not detected, and the intel of course is not compatible to link, so it shows green but cant detect anything else.
    Brain Burst
    I think the problem with laptops is, that no compatible video card is detected. I faced the same with my MSI VR Ready gaming laptop, which has an intel and also nvidea 1060 in it. The nvidea is not detected, and the intel of course is not compatible to link, so it shows green but cant detect anything else.
    That does not explain why works flawlessly when it (miraculously) happens to connect. In the past two days, I managed to get it successfully connected three or four times - I even played Asgard's Wrath for a few minutes without issues before going back to work in Unity on a VR project I have, which also worked well until I rebooted my machine. 
  • endertuber123endertuber123 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    kilogold I think you're right. Your explanation makes the most sense to me. The Official Link cable is the only cable I used that has fiber optics. The downside is that it means the only solution is to have Oculus drivers that can handle Thunderbolt 3. Which means the only way to fix the problem is to wait for Oculus to fix the problem. At least we can reach a conclusion: if you plan on using a Thunderbolt 3 port for Oculus Link, use a copper cable.
  • CrimsonHellfireCrimsonHellfire Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    you are not the only one. my 3rd party cable works instantly for me, but the official cable doesn't.
  • electro365electro365 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had the same issue, but it was fixed for me by an adaptor I already had. But a type c dongle adapter, so it just seems like the cable isn't recognised properly