cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 1/6/2020: We've seen some positive results from the latest PTC update we pushed out late last week so we're now starting to roll that out to the live, non-PTC channel as well. As always, if you experience issues, please utilize the Help Center > Provide feedback option within the desktop software or contact customer support. Thanks!

Important notes:

• In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
  • In an effort to simplify our software update processes, we are aligning the software version numbers across all of our products. You will see this reflected starting in this release (v12). We will continue to post separate release notes for our PC software and the standalone / mobile headset software. For more information on our release processes, please review this FAQ post.

Rift S

• New social features powered by Facebook – Starting today, when you choose to log into Facebook from Oculus, you’ll be able to access new social features that make it easier for you to connect with other people, including:
    • Chats, so you can message your Oculus friends in or out of the headset with quick responses to hop into games together
    • Join your friends in VR directly from any device with links that open to where your friends are within an app.
    • User-created Events, so you can organize meetups or multiplayer games with friends
    • Share photos, videos, and livestreaming to Facebook, allowing you to share your favorite moments to Facebook Groups from VR
    • Parties that any of your Oculus friends can join (previously parties were only invite-only)
  • We’re updating the Oculus Privacy Policy to clarify that these social features are also provided by Facebook. The updated Privacy Policy clarifies how Oculus data is shared with Facebook to inform ads when you log into Facebook on Oculus.
  • Updated firmware to improve performance

Fixes

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements
If you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
306 REPLIES 306

Anonymous
Not applicable
The sensible thing to do for now is as they have asked. The more info they can get the better it will be.
They can't gather and compare data off of forum posts.

RattyUK
Trustee
I agree, more feedback from those with issues would be more useful than a version rollback, although I do sympathise with those folk.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

flylow2019
Protege

dburne said:

The sensible thing to do for now is as they have asked. The more info they can get the better it will be.
They can't gather and compare data off of forum posts.

Yes. That's what I've done. send them my logs... to get suggestions like "go under your desk and disconnect USB blablablablabla" it does not matter how much data they compare, if they can not see what's in front of them, and are not able to assume that they should have rolled back to the version that was working. For me it all started to go South with the version including the idiotic FB  stuff, and I've contacted support - in fact I am waiting for their next reply, as now they just say "We are working hard to get this fixed," or "I wanted to let you know that we have been testing some improvements to the
software in the PTC" and similar messages over the last three weeks, while keeping adding stuff - look at the last update - that does not help to go to the core of the problem: they messed it up and don't seem to be able to sort it out. So, if my logs and my testing in three different machines, as I wrote previously, do not help, why doesn't Oculus just revert to the version that worked? Maybe because the FB junk is, for them, a must...

Llet me say this: when the Oculus Rift S works, it's a fantastic piece of hardware. My problem is that it has not been work as it should for one month now... That's enough, and it is not a hardware problem.
jtqrdav8vchs.jpg

nfs_me
Honored Guest
Hi, I am using Oculus Rift DK2. But after the latest updates to Oculus Home, the device stopped working. There is no way to control the XBOX 360 controller. When you enter Oculus Home, the message “we can't find your sensor. Please connect your sensor” appears and nothing can be done with it. Previously, I just clicked OK with the XBOX 360 controller button, now there is no cursor (dot) and, accordingly, it is impossible to remove the message and continue working.
Sorry for my english

Dovahkiin74
Explorer

I don't see anything in there about the Guardian being fixed on the Rift S at all. I'm tired of sending emails to support to be told to reinstall the app 100 times.I will dissagree with anyone says they are not having the same issues on the Rift S. I'm tired of being ignored. FIX THE GUARDIAN!

morphee7
Expert Protege
im sick of seeing guardian setup nearly everytime i put in my rift s lol all i can do is laugh

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

morphee7 said:

im sick of seeing guardian setup nearly everytime i put in my rift s lol all i can do is laugh

Ya, just like my Golf game.  If I didn't laugh, I'd cry, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kelju said:

The problem is in the increased PD with version 12.1!!!!!!!!!!! God dammit!
Without any PD increase the performance is the same.
Here some screen shots from contractors start screen:

v1.43 with 0.0 PD ASW off
(the application frames dropped number in this screenshot is high because i put the headset on before the game was loaded, no reason to take that under any consideration)
dolahkewmzwe.jpeg

v12.1 with 0.0 PD ASW off
6smahsmzpx70.jpeg

v1.43 with 1.5 PD ASW off
krgsn9ayn0k1.jpeg

v12.1 with 1.5 PD ASW off
nj0n2lq2w5cp.jpeg

I have been saying this from the beginning. Been reporting this with the support ticket, and all i have gotten is: -"thank you for your patience, we are working on the fix" etc bullshit.

How freakin hard it is to replicate this problem in the lab!!!!????
THIS IS why it's not affecting everyone. Everyone is not using supersampling!!!!!!!!!

"increased PD with version 12.1" Sorry but PD as in pupillary distance? 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Double Post, sorry.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Pretty sure PD = Pixel Density (based on SS).