cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Oculus Link cable is not working for me. Anyone else have this issue?

TuSwab
Honored Guest
My third-party cable works perfectly fine but I cannot enable Oculus Link with the $80 cable that I just received. The oculus software will detect that the quest is plugged in to my USB-C port, yet I get no pop up to turn on Oculus Link and It wont work manually either because the quest doesnt know its plugged in. 

I've submitted 2 support tickets with no response. I've also posted on reddit and I found that there are other users with this exact problem. They have also submitted tickets with no response. I'm about to send it back for a refund, but I really want this cable to work.
137 REPLIES 137

electro365
Honored Guest
I had the same issue, but it was fixed for me by an adaptor I already had. But a type c dongle adapter, so it just seems like the cable isn't recognised properly 

enigma01
Trustee

I had the same issue, but it was fixed for me by an adaptor I already had. But a type c dongle adapter, so it just seems like the cable isn't recognised properly 

There is no point in me doing that though. My laptop USB A ports are 3.1 Gen 1 at only 5gbps, my Thunderbolt supports 3.1 Gen 2 at 10gbps. I only purchased the expensive Oculus cable as I thought it would support the higher bandwidth as I read somewhere that Carmack may have a way of increasing the Quests resolution using Oculus Link cable https://uploadvr.com/john-carmack-oculus-link-update/

I have been using 5m of passive USB 3.1 cable connected to my USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with Link and works fine. It cost a small fraction of what Oculus official cable does. 

The_Kingpin66
Honored Guest

enigma01 said:

Same here, after I installed a usb C 3.1 PCI-E card to use the official link cable. Headset would show as connected but to a USB 2, so I got a Adapter from Amazon C to A and now it works. Full Data and Power. 

enigma01
Trustee

The_Kingpin66 said:
Same here, after I installed a usb C 3.1 PCI-E card to use the official link cable. Headset would show as connected but to a USB 2, so I got a Adapter from Amazon C to A and now it works. Full Data and Power. 

Not sure if have exactly the same issue... When connected to my Thunderbolt / USB C 3.1 Gen 2 the Quest does show as connected as USB 3.0:
cq95zribqszd.jpg

These above devices (PCI Bridge and USB Root Hub) only show when the Quest is connected to my USB C port, when connected to my USB Type A 3.1 Gen 1 only the 'Quest' Device is displayed. 

17r4bb60oavp.jpg
zgap410l1th2.jpg

But Link will not launch, works fine connected with my USB A to C cable. 

The_Kingpin66
Honored Guest
This may sound stupid, but try turning on public beta join with oculus app on your pc. It will download a newer version of the software. It won't work because it then says you need to update the software on the quest headset  And you can't  So, back on your pc turn off public beta and let "update" again. Also to be sure you have the latest drivers for your chipset. I know it's not much but give it a try  

dandolan315
Honored Guest
Same issue here, I am using the party link USB converter and it's hit or miss. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. No rhyme or reason, different USB ports, lots of restarts, lots of USB power setting tweaks... All of the above that others have done in this thread. Why didn't oculus consider the thousands of PCs that have USB 3.0 version A on them? That connector is like.......... the most popular... of all time? Seems like a big swing and a miss to me, and prone to lots of issues with third party adapters. I'm returning mine. Not worth the $80. 

J-Tricky
Honored Guest

Same issue here, I am using the party link USB converter and it's hit or miss. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. No rhyme or reason, different USB ports, lots of restarts, lots of USB power setting tweaks... All of the above that others have done in this thread. Why didn't oculus consider the thousands of PCs that have USB 3.0 version A on them? That connector is like.......... the most popular... of all time? Seems like a big swing and a miss to me, and prone to lots of issues with third party adapters. I'm returning mine. Not worth the $80. 
The reason Oculus didn’t go type A is for a few reasons.

1. Maximum recommended length is only 10ft. With their optical cable they are able to get 16+ feet. Also It would be bad business and cause many issues if they ignored those recommendations 
2. Type A has lower bandwidth (In the future, higher bandwidth might be necessary)
3. Type A can not support fast charging. This Keeps the headset fully charged while gaming. Although Type A does charge, it does it at a slower rate and therefor the headset depletes faster than it charges and will eventually die after many hours of gameplay. This probably isn’t an issue for most people however oculus is trying to give the best possible experience and highest quality cable. 

I think many of the issues we are seeing are simply software and driver related (seemingly mostly related to Thunderbolt 3 ports) and will eventually be ironed out. It sucks for those of us that are having problems but we must also remember that Quest Link is still in Beta so we can’t expect flawlessness at this point. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe Oculus can enable the devices remotelly, so after they decide to enable it will work for everyone. 😄

enigma01
Trustee

J-Tricky said:
I think many of the issues we are seeing are simply software and driver related (seemingly mostly related to Thunderbolt 3 ports) and will eventually be ironed out. It sucks for those of us that are having problems but we must also remember that Quest Link is still in Beta so we can’t expect flawlessness at this point. 

So I think I have demonstrated your theory wrong in my situation (sorry! lol)...

I wanted to try rule out any issues with my drivers etc causing Link not to work when using the Official cable connected to my Thunderbolt 3, so I borrowed a 1m (I know too short for practical gaming, it was just to test) Cable Matters 3.1 Gen 2 type c to type c Thunderbolt 3 compatible cable (Amazon ASIN B07QDZV9PY) 

Connected the Cable Matters cable to my Thunderbolt 3, and guess what... Link launched and worked just fine, I was able to launch Asgards and everything seemed to work fine with no stutters etc. My official cable would not launch to Link at all. 

So, if the issue I am facing with my Official Oculus link cable not working when connected to my Thunderbolt 3 is software / driver related. Then when does the Cable Matters cable launch Link just fine when connected to the same port? 

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Found another thing: What is not working is a "Hub" Please for those who the cable is not working: Unplug the cable from your machine. Shutdown your machine. Plug the cable into the headset FIRST! After your computer restarts plug the cable into your USB C Port. This seems to work! The Quest has to be attached to the Link cable before you connect it to your PC! The cable is a own device not a pure standard USB cable. It works for me for different reboots. 
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/