cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first impressions of my new rift s

stacey_hebert_1
Explorer
Previously, the only experience i had with vr was the samsung gear vr. It was kind of cool, but i didnt like that i had to take my cell phone out of its case and stick it inside the gear. Because of this, i never really gave vr much of a chance. Recently ordered a rift s and learning to use it as well as learning its pros and cons.
I considered the quest, but was a bit turned off by the fact that it had an onboard "cell phone" processor, with downgraded graphics, had limited storage space, and was limited to quest games only.It was also around 200 bucks more than the rift s. I read about the link to connect to your pc to play regular oculous games, but it still didnt sound like the right choice for me. Considered the valve index, but i really dont like the light house idea, and it may be the best vr kit out, but its way too expensive for my taste. My video card just squeaked by with my gtx970, after i upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10. My first oculous game purchase(so far) is boneworks and i am working my way through training in it now. A few observations. Not sure how other vr headsets work with glasses, but this one is a little tight. I am also concerned after reading that some people have scratched the lenses with their glasses. Another drawback that almost makes me wish i had opted for the quest, is the cable connectiing you to the pc. It is fairly long to give you room to move, but i keep tangling my legs in it and having to kick it to the side, spoiling the immersiveness of the system. By the time i finished playing for a couple of hours, the cord was tangled up and was a real pain to untangle. Also seemed that it was kinking a bit in places as i untangled it.
Previously, i had always left my pc turned on 24 7 365. With the rift s connected, i see a white light on all the time and it wont shut off until i shut the whole pc off(which i have started doing). Also, any sound on my pc now routes through the oculous speaker instead of my pc speakers. I have to go into settings and change the default(then change back when i want to use pc speakers) which is a pain. Not sure if there is a setting to auto detect or not, but its a bit of a pain. So far liking the controllers(havent killed batteries yet). Having a bit of trouble clearing enough space in my pc room to play though. System says it meets the minimum required space, but just barely. I try to stay in the middle of my play area, because when i near the sides i see the warning lines pop in and out and it kind of spoils the immersiveness. Not sure i like the fact that steam and oculous games both have a different area to play from and you cant find ALL your games in the oculous virtual library. You need to open steam vr in oculous, then it kicks you into your steam screen where you can see and play the steam games that you have. Would be nice if all the games appeared under on library. 
Havent experienced any dizziness when playing for a long time so so far so good on that front. 
4 REPLIES 4

falken76
Expert Consultant
This is hard to read.  Use paragraphs man

bitzie
Expert Protege
1. Where's the white light you mention? On the Rift S? Make sure to close the Oculus app when done with it otherwise it keeps the headset awake.

2. For the speakers this is probably also because of leaving the app open. If you're not doing so, you can grab the Oculus Tray Tool and it can automatically switch audio outputs when opening/closing the Oculus app.

3. Steam games should be automatically added to the Oculus library after opening them in SteamVR. If they aren't added, go to the Library tab in the Oculus app and on the right hand side there is a plus sign which you can use to add apps that aren't showing up.

stacey_hebert_1
Explorer

falken76 said:

This is hard to read.  Use paragraphs man

sorry. when i started out, didnt think i was going to type that much. lol

stacey_hebert_1
Explorer

bitzie said:

1. Where's the white light you mention? On the Rift S? Make sure to close the Oculus app when done with it otherwise it keeps the headset awake.

2. For the speakers this is probably also because of leaving the app open. If you're not doing so, you can grab the Oculus Tray Tool and it can automatically switch audio outputs when opening/closing the Oculus app.

3. Steam games should be automatically added to the Oculus library after opening them in SteamVR. If they aren't added, go to the Library tab in the Oculus app and on the right hand side there is a plus sign which you can use to add apps that aren't showing up.

Thanks for your response and for soldiering on through my long winded single paragraph. lol
The white light is right between the 2 lenses on the headset, and oculous WAS NOT open yet, as i just turned my pc on and had to click to open the app.

I might give the tray tool a try, but would feel better if it were an actual OCULOUS created tool.

Thanks a lot for the plus sign suggestion. it worked in the app. Havent put the headset on yet to see if it shows up, but so far so good.