New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    I agree, more feedback from those with issues would be more useful than a version rollback, although I do sympathise with those folk.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • flylow2019flylow2019 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited January 11
    dburne said:
    The sensible thing to do for now is as they have asked. The more info they can get the better it will be.
    They can't gather and compare data off of forum posts.

Yes. That's what I've done. send them my logs... to get suggestions like "go under your desk and disconnect USB blablablablabla" it does not matter how much data they compare, if they can not see what's in front of them, and are not able to assume that they should have rolled back to the version that was working. For me it all started to go South with the version including the idiotic FB  stuff, and I've contacted support - in fact I am waiting for their next reply, as now they just say "We are working hard to get this fixed," or "I wanted to let you know that we have been testing some improvements to the software in the PTC" and similar messages over the last three weeks, while keeping adding stuff - look at the last update - that does not help to go to the core of the problem: they messed it up and don't seem to be able to sort it out. So, if my logs and my testing in three different machines, as I wrote previously, do not help, why doesn't Oculus just revert to the version that worked? Maybe because the FB junk is, for them, a must...

Llet me say this: when the Oculus Rift S works, it's a fantastic piece of hardware. My problem is that it has not been work as it should for one month now... That's enough, and it is not a hardware problem.

• nfs_menfs_me Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 11
    Hi, I am using Oculus Rift DK2. But after the latest updates to Oculus Home, the device stopped working. There is no way to control the XBOX 360 controller. When you enter Oculus Home, the message “we can't find your sensor. Please connect your sensor” appears and nothing can be done with it. Previously, I just clicked OK with the XBOX 360 controller button, now there is no cursor (dot) and, accordingly, it is impossible to remove the message and continue working.
    Sorry for my english
  • GortySmallsGortySmalls Posts: 11
    Brain Burst

I don't see anything in there about the Guardian being fixed on the Rift S at all. I'm tired of sending emails to support to be told to reinstall the app 100 times.I will dissagree with anyone says they are not having the same issues on the Rift S. I'm tired of being ignored. FIX THE GUARDIAN!

• morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    im sick of seeing guardian setup nearly everytime i put in my rift s lol all i can do is laugh
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,143 Valuable Player
    morphee7 said:
    im sick of seeing guardian setup nearly everytime i put in my rift s lol all i can do is laugh
    Ya, just like my Golf game.  If I didn't laugh, I'd cry, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• masterx1234masterx1234 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    Kelju said:
    The problem is in the increased PD with version 12.1!!!!!!!!!!! God dammit!
    Without any PD increase the performance is the same.
    Here some screen shots from contractors start screen:

v1.43 with 0.0 PD ASW off
    (the application frames dropped number in this screenshot is high because i put the headset on before the game was loaded, no reason to take that under any consideration)

v12.1 with 0.0 PD ASW off

v1.43 with 1.5 PD ASW off

v12.1 with 1.5 PD ASW off

I have been saying this from the beginning. Been reporting this with the support ticket, and all i have gotten is: -"thank you for your patience, we are working on the fix" etc bullshit.

How freakin hard it is to replicate this problem in the lab!!!!????
    THIS IS why it's not affecting everyone. Everyone is not using supersampling!!!!!!!!!

"increased PD with version 12.1" Sorry but PD as in pupillary distance? 
    edited January 11
    Double Post, sorry.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Pretty sure PD = Pixel Density (based on SS).

• jphh93jphh93 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    The sensible thing to do for now is as they have asked. The more info they can get the better it will be.

Yes. That's what I've done. send them my logs... to get suggestions like "go under your desk and disconnect USB blablablablabla" it does not matter how much data they compare, if they can not see what's in front of them, and are not able to assume that they should have rolled back to the version that was working. For me it all started to go South with the version including the idiotic FB  stuff, and I've contacted support - in fact I am waiting for their next reply, as now they just say "We are working hard to get this fixed," or "I wanted to let you know that we have been testing some improvements to the software in the PTC" and similar messages over the last three weeks, while keeping adding stuff - look at the last update - that does not help to go to the core of the problem: they messed it up and don't seem to be able to sort it out. So, if my logs and my testing in three different machines, as I wrote previously, do not help, why doesn't Oculus just revert to the version that worked? Maybe because the FB junk is, for them, a must...

Llet me say this: when the Oculus Rift S works, it's a fantastic piece of hardware. My problem is that it has not been work as it should for one month now... That's enough, and it is not a hardware problem.

I have the same Thing here since one month. My Oculus is crashing after about 5 min of using with an blackscreen and then a message that the DisplayPort Connection is not working.

I now tried nearly everything, also with 2 Things from the support, nothing. I just have the Feeling that they don´t want to admit that Things since v12 are completly broken to use the rift S normal.

It´s really frustrating in my opinion. Got asked from some Friends some days ago how the Rift S is, i sadly couldn´t say positive Things atm.
  • Laxleo_Laxleo_ Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    yah but when are you gonna fix the display port bug? got my rift over a week ago cant even use it. 100s having the same problem and you lot never reply to tickets.
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    Laxleo_ said:
    yah but when are you gonna fix the display port bug? got my rift over a week ago cant even use it. 100s having the same problem and you lot never reply to tickets.
    send it back, unless you got it direct from oculus then yeah you are screwed until they reply to the ticket
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    I PM'ed the dev here as reqested to have them address my ticket on this issue sooner and I did get a response but not the one I was hoping for. It seems like there is a real disconnect between what the developers are actually doing, what we are being told here, and what the people dealing with your ticket are telling you. This poor guy clearly has no idea that this problem even exists. It does really raise the question though if Oculus is even working on this anymore.

JamesM (Oculus Support)

Jan 12, 8:12 AM PST

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your patience while we work through the post-holiday ticket volumes.

I'm certain that what happened in this specific instance is that it's a botched firmware update, rather than an issue intrinsic to V12, as this is not a widespread thing (after looking for similar tickets), so I'd like to replace the unit.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    I PM'ed the dev here as reqested to have them address my ticket on this issue sooner and I did get a response but not the one I was hoping for. It seems like there is a real disconnect between what the developers are actually doing, what we are being told here, and what the people dealing with your ticket are telling you. This poor guy clearly has no idea that this problem even exists. It does really raise the question though if Oculus is even working on this anymore.

JamesM (Oculus Support)

Jan 12, 8:12 AM PST

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your patience while we work through the post-holiday ticket volumes.

I'm certain that what happened in this specific instance is that it's a botched firmware update, rather than an issue intrinsic to V12, as this is not a widespread thing (after looking for similar tickets), so I'd like to replace the unit.

They seem to be clueless. The Rift did NOT get a firmware update, only the "S". People with both Rift and Rift S are seeing performance problems.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    Update: I provided technical support links to about 20 forum topics on the issue to show its significance and suggested that they use my ticket to obtain more logs/data to problem solve. And.... he just closed my ticket. Thanks Oculus.
    Your request (# removed)  has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email or click the link below:
    (link removed)
    Hey Adam,
    I understand where you're coming from, and if you wish to wait and see if a future update fixes the issue instead that's fine.
    My logic was "this doesn't affect all Rift S units, it most certainly seems to be a firmware issue, and as we're technical support I really can only offer replacement as the avenue for fixing the issue."
    I appreciate you linking the threads though, Oculus Support typically only looks at the volume of ticket we're getting on the issue, so if we don't see a lot of tickets it's not (usually) a widespread issue.
    As for if Oculus is working on the issue? I'm certain of it; however, Oculus Support doesn't have a timeline for resolution.
    Regards,
    James M
    Oculus Support

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • flylow2019flylow2019 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited January 13
    Yesterday I was able to use my headset for a couple of hours. When I launched my PC, Oculus was working. Today, I am back on the "Your hardware is not compatible with Oculus" and the game "Restart your Oculus Software". Are there any news from Support, or are they implementing more Facebook options? I've sent logs, emailed everyone, and still, after three weeks - well, four now - they can't find a solution, and even minimize the problem here and elsewhere, from what I see in some answers.
  • gramah501gramah501 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Does anyone have tracking problems with the rift s in slow movements? It seems like freezing or lagging.. 
  • DuxCroDuxCro Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    I haven't played VR in a while. Last time i played, it was Subnautica. And i was able to play it on my Rift S maxed out with supersampling set to 1.2 via Oculus Tray Tool. And it was working in 80 fps. Now, with this firmware and no supersampling at all, it is running at around 60fps average. GG Oculus. GG
  • FreelancerXYZFreelancerXYZ Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    After updating, my Rift S no longer connects DisplayPort and the Oculus app says it needs to restart in an endless loop. I've tried everything to get it to work, including installing the software on a different computer. DisplayPort is never found, headset is now totally unusable. It's pretty ridiculous to drop several hundred dollars on a headset and games for it to become unusable within weeks of buying.
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 271 Oculus Staff
    (I intended to post this on the v13 PTC thread as well as here, but I accidentally posted it on the v12 Quest thread. Adding it here as well. My bad!)

Update 1/17/2020:
     First, I'd just like to thank everyone who has submitted a support ticket or a bug report with their issue description and logs. These have been invaluable to our team in investigating these performance issues. I can report that our engineering team has successfully reproduced the framerate / performance issue that some of you have described. They will use this to identify, test, and verify a fix. We greatly appreciate your patience while the team works on this, as well as to address all other reported issues, and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced in the meantime. We'll be sure to provide additional updates as we have them. Thank you!
  • StreamofConsciousStreamofConscious Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    dburne said:
    And a better question is why do users have to be beta testers? That is why people have to opt in to PTC. Flylow2019 is right.....revert back to a truly stable version and let people use what they bought while others opt in to be beta testers.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 959
    3Jane
    nfs_me said:
    Hi, I am using Oculus Rift DK2. But after the latest updates to Oculus Home, the device stopped working. There is no way to control the XBOX 360 controller. When you enter Oculus Home, the message “we can't find your sensor. Please connect your sensor” appears and nothing can be done with it. Previously, I just clicked OK with the XBOX 360 controller button, now there is no cursor (dot) and, accordingly, it is impossible to remove the message and continue working.
    Sorry for my english
    Youve been on borrowed time with the dk2 since cv1 released so this could be the end finally, time to upgrade id say
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    People with DK2s shouldn't expect the software to keep up with it anymore. They already dropped support for it years ago.
    You'll have to find a hacky way to install old Oculus software to run it just like the DK1.
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited January 22
    Oh my.....
    I feel so sorry for everyone that's had these awful issues.
    I'm so glad I used the guide (Windows Firewall rules) to block Oculus Home/Dash from ever being allowed to connect to the internet and saved myself from this mess.
    I have Rift S, saying it's on FW 2.1.1 - whatever that is it works.

I rarely purchase games on Oculus Home, so I have no need for it to connect to the internet. From time to time it will say there's an update and I'll let it restart and do it's little thing (which it can't of course) and then after the restart it just works.
    Unless there's some significant updates that either add notable performance improvements in VR or new features that for the time being seem to be only given to the Quest (hand/body tracking), there really is absolutely no reason whatsoever to update, and just purchase VR titles from Steam.

Also, with the new Facebook integration, that's a real turn off for me and likely many others - I don't use Facebook or social media in general. Call me old fashioned, but it's nice to talk to family and friends about real things that don't have anything to do with pictures of what I ate for breakfast.
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 271 Oculus Staff
    x-posting...

Update 1/22/2020: Hi all - Dropping by to provide another update on performance issues that some users have reported. Our engineering team has been able to identify and implement an update that they believe will resolve these issues. As our internal testing results have been positive, we are pushing this fix to the PTC. If you are experiencing the frame rate drop / performance issue that has been discussed here, we encourage you to opt into the PTC in order to test out this latest update. If you experience any issues (performance or otherwise) with this update, please be sure to utilize the help center > provide feedback option within the desktop software or open up a ticket with our support team. Thanks!
  • glenwithonenglenwithonen Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I understand that this issue has been acknowledged and that a fix is in the works, but in case more info is needed: I'm having the same issue. Extreme stuttering makes Rift unusable.

Cable does not appear to be damaged. Tested on office PC and runs perfect. Unit was purchased October 2018 (15 months ago).

Sounds like the recent v12 update problem. The Rift ran perfectly last time I used it at the beginning of December.

After Oculus home (or a game) loads, after less than a minute, extreme stuttering begins. The stuttering happens every 2 seconds or so. It directly correlates to the CPU and GPU performance graphs which spike and dip every 2 seconds (screenshots below).

I have tried the Oculus app PTC version. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and have also tried rolling back to NVIDIA driver 436.30 from September 10th.

Gaming system with problem is a laptop Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB 16GB RAM

Office desktop PC tested working perfect: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 16GB RAM

• SodaSuccubusSodaSuccubus Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Any update on the jittering picture/tracking issue?

My Rift-S still has a jittery picture, even when its being held still with no movement.
    edited January 26
    I understand that this issue has been acknowledged and that a fix is in the works, but in case more info is needed: I'm having the same issue. Extreme stuttering makes Rift unusable.

Cable does not appear to be damaged. Tested on office PC and runs perfect. Unit was purchased October 2018 (15 months ago).

Sounds like the recent v12 update problem. The Rift ran perfectly last time I used it at the beginning of December.

After Oculus home (or a game) loads, after less than a minute, extreme stuttering begins. The stuttering happens every 2 seconds or so. It directly correlates to the CPU and GPU performance graphs which spike and dip every 2 seconds (screenshots below).

I have tried the Oculus app PTC version. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and have also tried rolling back to NVIDIA driver 436.30 from September 10th.

Gaming system with problem is a laptop Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB 16GB RAM

Office desktop PC tested working perfect: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 16GB RAM

I see that you have Virtualisation Enabled.  I would try to disable this and see how you go.  Goggle ' intel virtualisation technology enable disable ' for more info and instructions how to enable/disable this.  Also, if you are doing any cpu, gpu. or memory overclocking I suggest you go back to stock.

Since it works fine on your office desktop pc I suggest that the problem may be with your laptop setup.  Not saying it couldn't be firmware related though.  Good luck.

Edit; also, your graphics setting might be a bit high (in-game settings, Oculus Home dash/graphics, and maybe Super sampling).  Try lowering these a bit.  No way that you should be seeing 100% gpu usage like it seems you are getting imho.

• hahik74034hahik74034 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Thanks for explaining about the versions update 
  • snake_plisken_casnake_plisken_ca Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited February 1

Moved