cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Oculus Link cable is not working for me. Anyone else have this issue?

TuSwab
Honored Guest
My third-party cable works perfectly fine but I cannot enable Oculus Link with the $80 cable that I just received. The oculus software will detect that the quest is plugged in to my USB-C port, yet I get no pop up to turn on Oculus Link and It wont work manually either because the quest doesnt know its plugged in. 

I've submitted 2 support tickets with no response. I've also posted on reddit and I found that there are other users with this exact problem. They have also submitted tickets with no response. I'm about to send it back for a refund, but I really want this cable to work.
137 REPLIES 137

enigma01
Trustee

nalex66 said:

If it was a power fluctuation issue causing the drop-outs, you might be able to fix it by running I through an externally-powered USB hub.

I can’t find anywhere on the Oculus site a description of the computer requirements for the Oculus official cable to work (there are Link system requirements, but not cable) If externally powered hubs, adapters etc are required then the cables requirements are not adequately described. The only thing I can fine is ‘USB 3.2 Gen 1 Signalling 5 Gbps USB 2 backwards-compatible‘, which Thunderbolt 3 should support, correct? 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

enigma01 said:

nalex66 said:

If it was a power fluctuation issue causing the drop-outs, you might be able to fix it by running I through an externally-powered USB hub.

I can’t find anywhere on the Oculus site a description of the computer requirements for the Oculus official cable to work (there are Link system requirements, but not cable) If externally powered hubs, adapters etc are required then the cables requirements are not adequately described. The only thing I can fine is ‘USB 3.2 Gen 1 Signalling 5 Gbps USB 2 backwards-compatible‘, which Thunderbolt 3 should support, correct? 

Yeah, it shouldn't require a powered hub, I was just suggesting that it would be a way to test the above poster's hypothesis that power fluctuations were causing his disconnects. In theory, power fluctuations shouldn't impact anything except charging.

The problem may well be with the USB and Thunderbolt ports (or the drivers for those ports). We've seen all sorts of USB problems since the release of CV1, due to some manufacturers playing fast and loose with USB standards.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MidnightDisplay
Explorer
Just to avoid further confusion: my hypothesis about power fluctuations has nothing to do with the official cable. That was in reference to the copper cable I got from Amazon prior to getting the official.

To summarize: cheap USB3 Type A to C copper cable works, but with random disconnects; whereas the official cable connected through thunderbolt 3 doesn't run at all.

At the moment I have no means of testing it with the USB 3 A port (need adapter), nor do I have a powered hub. Thinking of getting C female to A male adapter.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've been using this C to A adapter with my official cable, and it's been working well for me.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MidnightDisplay
Explorer

nalex66 said:

I've been using this C to A adapter with my official cable, and it's been working well for me.

Thanks for sharing this. I have now ordered a similar one from Amazon UK.
fingers crossed...

Morknano
Honored Guest
First of all, sorry for my English
I received links and inserted into the pc, but link does not connect. The connect your headeset screen remains on the app.
My pc:
win10 home - intel i9-9880h - 32 gb ram - nvidia geforce rtx 2080 with max-q.
how do I set up links? Help me!!

enigma01
Trustee
Okay so this is crazy but.... I just got Oculus Link to launch with the Official cable connected to my Thunderbolt 3, by connecting the cable 'backwards!'. So connecting the angled part to my PC and the straight part to the headset! It doesn't appear to be by chance either, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting several times and tried the cable back the other. Every time it worked when connected 'backward', but not the other way around! If you have been having similar issues as me when using Thunderbolt 3 please try this and let me know what happens! 

Xerold
Explorer
Update. I tried connecting the cable the other direction. ie the part that is supposed to go on the headset to the computer and viceversa and now it works. sounds dumb but it worked. Not sure how can I explain this!! 

enigma01
Trustee

Xerold said:

Update. I tried connecting the cable the other direction. ie the part that is supposed to go on the headset to the computer and viceversa and now it works. sounds dumb but it worked. Not sure how can I explain this!! 

So that’s worked for both of us! I really don’t understand why this is working either, but surely there must be some fault with the cables? They should surely work connected either way. Is this something similar to Oculus earphones being wired incorrectly when they were first launched?

MidnightDisplay
Explorer
Just tried this out. Doesn't seem to work for me.