New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus social features now require a linked Facebook account

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,984 Volunteer Moderator
    Quacklin said:
    For now I don't have a real problem with that. I don't have friends and I don't support social interactions. 
    But I'm afraid fb will continue constraining functionality if you don't have a fb account linked to the oculus platform.

Yep, same here. I just find the Facebook social network itself to be crap. Facebook already knows everything about me due to my oculus account (real name, email, credit card, home address, etc), so it's not a privacy issue for me. I just don't like moving existing functionality behind a sub standard social network account I'm not going to use.

It would be like buying a camera and finding you need an instagram account to use it, even if you already have a different photo site.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,280 Valuable Player
    Just create a second dummy account. If you're using your main Facebook account on your PC, create another one on your mobile phone using your mobile phone's internet so that the IP address associated with it is different. If you do that how are Facebook going to realise that you've created another account?

I can't see the problem tbh (although I haven't tried doing this myself...perhaps I'm missing something?).

Zenbane created another account without a problem.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,852 Valuable Player
    kojack said:

It would be like buying a camera and finding you need an instagram account to use it, even if you already have a different photo site.

That's a clever analogy! Well played, sir.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    snowdog said:
    I can't see the problem tbh (although I haven't tried doing this myself...perhaps I'm missing something?).
    The problem (at least for me) is that this is bad design. It's showing that Facebook is now pushing their other business onto the Oculus dev team.

They had a working system, now they've added an extra requirement to continue doing what has worked fine for years. What benefit's do WE get from the new system over the old system? Better targeted ads. But I run with ad blockers and social network tracking blockers.

I have a twitter account that I do use. If twitter bought Oculus and required attaching twitter to use features that already existed, I'd still be pissed off.

Maybe they should fix the existing problems with the system (no gifting, forced updates that break things, need to factory reset to change accounts on quest/go, no hand tracking on rift-s, install includes 10GB of Home that many of us turn off, etc) before making the social features less accessible.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,381
    Project 2501
    Having 2 accounts is quite acceptable. If John Carmack can have 2, so can everyone else.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 652
    Neo
    edited December 2019
    kojack said:
    snowdog said:
    The problem (at least for me) is that this is bad design. It's showing that Facebook is now pushing their other business onto the Oculus dev team.

They had a working system, now they've added an extra requirement to continue doing what has worked fine for years. What benefit's do WE get from the new system over the old system? Better targeted ads. But I run with ad blockers and social network tracking blockers.

I have a twitter account that I do use. If twitter bought Oculus and required attaching twitter to use features that already existed, I'd still be pissed off.

Maybe they should fix the existing problems with the system (no gifting, forced updates that break things, need to factory reset to change accounts on quest/go, no hand tracking on rift-s, install includes 10GB of Home that many of us turn off, etc) before making the social features less accessible.
    Yeap, and moreso when the obvious solution would be to make the whole FB account thing optional, that way those happy to use FB and who want to use and link their FB accounts are catered for, and those who just want to continue to use their VR as they have been doing for the last few years are still catered for, but as you said, this is not about consumer choice, FB are just using Oculus as a ways to a means at the moment, and i suspect if it fails then they will dump it all in a heartbeat, so at this point Quest owners who no doubt are making Oculus the most money are in the driving seat of all this, so they can either accept it and just hope FB don't have further nasty surprises down the line for them, or they can fight against it and try and keep a middle ground were FB and consumers are both happy, so it will be interesting to see what has happened in say 12 months time.

edited December 2019
    xNexJenx said:
    It's wrong, unethical and scary in both that FB/Oculus is doing this and that Users are SO ignorant to it.

Just because there are Users who don't engage in the fear mongering hyperbolic dialogue doesn't mean that they are ignorant to the situation. In fact, one could easily argue that the people protesting this situation are ignorant, if we consider the fact that Facebook has owned Oculus since 2014. Anyone shocked and amazed that Facebook is requiring a Facebook Account to use a Facebook Product should probably take a step back from the Internet for awhile.

The only thing truly shocking here is that it took 5 years before Facebook finally integrated their Social Media account-base in to the Oculus ecosystem.

I hope someone LAWYERS Up and files a class action lawsuit. This just seems like such a easy win

You should lead by example. Post the outcome of your legal case on the forums. Thanks in advance.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,280 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    snowdog said:

I was referring to my first paragraph in that post. If you create a second dummy account using a different name, email address and IP address then how are Facebook going to know that this is a dummy account connected with your original Facebook account?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    I was referring to my first paragraph in that post. If you create a second dummy account using a different name, email address and IP address then how are Facebook going to know that this is a dummy account connected with your original Facebook account?

This would work only if you have never performed much activity on that alternate IP address prior. Otherwise, they have all that information gathered and will assume it is either the same person, or two people who know each other.
    Facebook has just started forcing people using Facebook Messenger to log in with a Facebook account. When they split Messenger off in 2015 as a separate product, they let people log in with just a phone number. That's now ended.

Coincidental timing? Probably not.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,450 Volunteer Moderator
    Facebook only login to this forum coming?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,923 Valuable Player
    Facebook only login to this forum coming?

It'll probably happen.

I went to talk to a friend who has just bought a Quest and got the message about facebook.  Did i rush off and make an account?  Of course not.

And i won't do it to post here either.  Life will go on.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 652
    Neo
    edited December 2019
    kojack said:
    Facebook has just started forcing people using Facebook Messenger to log in with a Facebook account. When they split Messenger off in 2015 as a separate product, they let people log in with just a phone number. That's now ended.

Coincidental timing? Probably not.

Well if they want to silence those consumers unhappy with the whole FB account thing then i can't really think of a better solution, so some of us might be on borrowed time around here at this point.  lol
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,971 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    Well if they want to silence those consumers unhappy with the whole FB account thing then i can't really think of a better solution, so some of us might be on borrowed time around here at this point.  lol

After the whole Cyber' situation - I think a number of posters on here saw the writing on the wall. Though I think we have yet to see the other shoe drop. But I agree this does look like a good method of censorship and optic control. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • jago25_98jago25_98 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I wonder how else FB will screw me over this time. Perhaps it will be like the time they automatically found and linked my Facebook account to my new Instagram account and told everyone I'm starting a new business.
    Or maybe it will be like the time they classified me as a gay muslim and informed my xenophobic boss.
    Then again, it could be like that time someone tagged me in a photo of me drunk and Facebook showed it to my wife.
    Or maybe it'll be like the time I signed up a second account to try to avoid all of the above and they locked me out of my original account, losing all my contacts, requesting proof of address and stuff, locking me out for 6 months before they let me back in again.

Who knows? It's so exciting. We better speculate so we can prepare.

I'll start: That plan to sign up a spare account won't work. They'll detect you logging in from the same IP, apply some AI and lock you out of your more important account.

It's probably going to get harder and harder to resist the Facebook dependent features but let's face it, FB have been exceedingly nice with Quest:

- allowing Steam games over link
    - allowing sideloading
    - allowing refunds
    - attentive forum replies

I forecast that in 5-10 years time if Facebook is dominant in VR as Google is in Android, most of the above will disappear and it'll be as one sided as running an Android phone with Google Play.

Keep the pressure on. Buy any competitor if possible at the next iteration to avoid this.
    jago25_98 said:
    they automatically found and linked my Facebook account to my new Instagram account and told everyone I'm starting a new business.
    Or maybe it will be like the time they classified me as a gay muslim and informed my xenophobic boss.
    Then again, it could be like that time someone tagged me in a photo of me drunk and Facebook showed it to my wife.

Exactly "who" from Facebook did all those things to you?
    And if that is all true (which I highly doubt), why on Earth would you then buy a Facebook product and create an account on Facebook's Oculus Forum?
  • wzygrrwzygrr Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    Just create a second dummy account. If you're using your main Facebook account on your PC, create another one on your mobile phone using your mobile phone's internet so that the IP address associated with it is different. If you do that how are Facebook going to realise that you've created another account?

Zenbane created another account without a problem.
    My guess is that Facebook would love for everyone to just create a dummy account. The more accounts they can show, the more they can charge for their advertisement services. Not everyone is into social media, I view it as a self inflicted wound. I just want to be able to link up with my adult kids in VR homes without being forced to sign up with facebook. C'mon, those facebook guys are loaded anyways, there's no need to kick over every financial rock in search of the undiscovered dollar.
  • ThomasCMobleyThomasCMobley Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I hadn't seen anywhere that I had to have a facebook account to use this thing or I probably wouldn't have bought it.  I just got it and tried to create an email account, it takes my email but the next button just takes me to a sign in screen instead of a create password screen, so I'm stuck.  This thread is the first I'd heard that I have to have a facebook account.

This thread is the first I'd heard that I have to have a facebook account.
    Some things need facebook (adding friends, visiting homes, parties). But if you don't care about those, you absolutely don't need a facebook account to use the Rift, Quest or Go.

it takes my email but the next button just takes me to a sign in screen instead of a create password screen,
    Where are you making the account? The website account creation screen has email and password on the same page. https://secure.oculus.com/sign-up/

• backupartistbackupartist Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 14
    If anyone is still watching this thread,  please get in on this. If enough people complain, maybe it will get redacted. I hope.... I cant post links so "google"
    https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/39258781-remove-the-stupid-facebook-requirement
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 348
    Trinity
    edited January 14
    After reading these posts i think the next HMD will definitely not be an Oculus products. Also can't personally recommend it to any other person without VR-system anymore. And no, it's not just the FB forcing, also the countless technical problems with the system effects the other half of the thing.

Edit: @backupartist good that you made the vote, i gave my vote and voice for it too!
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
    edited January 14
    I've edited your post @backupartist so the link works.

It's worth reminding people here to visit the uservoice area for any changes you'd like to see to the software/firmware or future hardware, suggestions do get listened to.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,129 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

After the whole Cyber' situation - I think a number of posters on here saw the writing on the wall.
    ooooo what did i miss?

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • backupartistbackupartist Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thank you DaftnDirect.  I really hope this gains more steam from the community..
  • Johnsky7Johnsky7 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Guys, Facebook is an absolute NO GO for me. I abandoned it after people kept trying to pry into my life, people I don't want to communicate with unless I contact them. Never the other way around. I don't need to be barraged by a bunch of people I don't want to talk to because I put on my Rift headset. Facebook is an absolute no go. Looks like Steam VR will be my primary home and social hub.

Sorry Oculus team. You made a giant brick wall for me here... Won't be using your platform for social anything now.
  • wzygrrwzygrr Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Johnsky7 said:
    Guys, Facebook is an absolute NO GO for me. I abandoned it after people kept trying to pry into my life, people I don't want to communicate with unless I contact them. Never the other way around. I don't need to be barraged by a bunch of people I don't want to talk to because I put on my Rift headset. Facebook is an absolute no go. Looks like Steam VR will be my primary home and social hub.

Sorry Oculus team. You made a giant brick wall for me here... Won't be using your platform for social anything now.
    I'm sorry Johnsky7, I don't think Oculus gives one shiny care about how we feel about this facebook requirement thing. So sad for guys like you and me, I really looked forward to the Oculus Homes thing with my family, now that I have set them all up with a quest. Are we really asking for that much? Just pissed off I guess.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,129 Valuable Player
    I havent tried it as i dont use the FB account i have but cant you just make a FB account using a throw away email, but a fake name on it and link to that?
    I am probably wrong as it is so long since i used FB but i dont remember having to supply certifiable personal details such as a utility bill or passport etc, so should be easy enough to fudge?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    I think some people are confusing Facebook use with using a Facebook account for VR use.

If people don't want to be pestered with prying family or 'friends' or if they're just not interested in the Facebook social thing, then just don't do the social thing. Multiplayer gaming or sharing your Home in VR for example isn't going to introduce social activity that isn't there at the moment.

If people create a Facebook account for VR and then use that account for Facebook type social stuff then yeah, that's when you get into all that stuff that a lot of people just don't want... so like me, just stick to the VR stuff.

I'm not going to bother creating a false account, I'm just not going to post anything personal about myself on the account I have cos that stuff doesn't interest me, never has. In fact the only time I use my account is to view the occasional interest group activity… running clubs I've joined tend to organise events via Facebook for example and increasingly companies post product or service info on Facebook as it's easier to update quickly. Eaglemoss do that for their Star Trek models.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against forcing Facebook account creations for VR but that's more to do with changing the rules, and because I think Facebook should let the their Horizon app attract people rather than push them into it.