cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link and a GTX 1050? How strict are the compatibility requirements exactly?

chrisbardon
Honored Guest
Trying to get Link working with my laptop (Dell XPS15 with a 1050), and while I saw that the GPU wasn't supported, I was wondering whether that was "not supported because performance will suck" or "not supported because it'll just completely fail".  Right now I can load the software, get the prompt in VR to start Link, and then it immediately boots back to the Quest home screen.  Cable is the same one I've used to run SideQuest, so it should be OK for data + power.  Is this just a case of "wait until later in the beta" to get this working, or have others managed to get a similar configuration to progress? 
76 REPLIES 76

Necaro
Explorer
I got it working on a GTX970 without problems. Maybe it's still an cable issue, as Sidequest doesn't need the transfer rates that link needs. 

Richooal
Consultant
Here's their compatibility info, no mention of the GTX 1050 ..................

https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zoidburg
Honored Guest
I used oculus link on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 1050 ti, it worked fine. I know the ti is supported as the bare minimum for rift s. That being said the 1050 ti isn't on the list and I had no problem using it and my laptop didn't overheat. so try another cable, make sure it's USB 3.0, I had literally 12 cables I tried that failed before I ordered one from amazon that did. This is the one I used, AmazonBasics-Double-Braided-Nylon-Type-C

psully4114
Explorer
An Acer Nitro 5 with a GTX 1050 TI and an Amazon Basics double braided USB C to USB 3.0 is literally my exact configuration and it did not work. How in TF?

StoneOcean
Honored Guest
XPS 15 with 1050 here, I got the best cable available in Sweden (Gen 2, 3 a, 3.1) Oculus home gave me the green to the cable. But when i start the link beta it just goes black to oculus quest home. This happened to my GTX970 desktop pc to. But It may be that I have put the Oculus app to public test. And the new PT wont support oculus link facebook said. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

An Acer Nitro 5 with a GTX 1050 TI and an Amazon Basics double braided USB C to USB 3.0 is literally my exact configuration and it did not work. How in TF?

Did you ever get it working?

TheUltimateS670
Honored Guest
i have a gtx 1050 ti and pretty much every time i tried to use oculus link it said enable oculus link beta and i clicked that but then it just kept on loading and put me back to the home screen but somehow i managed to get it working once and i got onto the rift home screen but then it stopped working after

TheUltimateS670
Honored Guest
its working for me now. i i held the power button for 2 seconds then pressed power off then loaded my oculus quest back up and oculus link started working

SamaritanMan
Protege
I have your exact laptop and a oculus link original cable, but my oculus pc application, gives an error in red on the top, complaining i have to reboot my pc or contacting oculus support.
I did this and we discovered in the logs of the oculus app on my pc, the issue was due just to my gtx 1050 Ti that is not in the list of supported gpu's.

its working for me now. i i held the power button for 2 seconds then pressed power off then loaded my oculus quest back up and oculus link started working

How exactly did you do it?