New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Just ordered a Pimax 8KX (Some CES Reviews)

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,017 Valuable Player
    edited January 11
    Ok I'll bite. Back on topic. Silicone Protective Sleeves/covers.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,730 Valuable Player
    Horny little devils, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,058
    Wintermute
    RattyUK said:
    snowdog said:
    I'll be up for an Official Photography thread as long as you post nekked pictures of your wives and girlfriends. :)
    Trust me, you don't want a nekked photo of my wife...
    (even I don't >:) )

Bummer, i was just about to offer you a few...
    Now I know you are telling lies...
    You were able to compose a (short, but lucid) sentence to post ;)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited January 14
    Posted on Reddit makes interesting reading: Kind of confirms my thoughts of the 8KX being a Reverb but with wider FOV. That should be interesting.

calvinyau1

I was at CES 2020 this week and got to try out the Pimax 8K X and the Xtal. A little background.. I have most VR headsets, but will focus on the more recent offerings. All of this is purely based off of DCS - the only reason VR exists for me. 

Rift S

After hearing about Wags response to the Rift S last year (that he could clearly see the cockpit) I decided to check it out. Up to that time I hadn't made the switch to VR as I didn't feel the trade off was worth dumping my big screen, cougar mfds, etc. I was pleasantly surprised with the Rift S and finally thought it was good enough that I could spend some time in VR. Very comfortable to wear. Sound atrocious, requiring headphones taking the comfort level down a notch.

Valve Index

Step up in clarity and fov from the rift s. Way better sound. I know people say it's comfortable, and I agree with that, but it definitely has weight and I actually found the Rift S (sans headphones) to be more comfortable. Also, I know guys that tried the reverb but the ipd just didn't work for them and they had to go index.

HP Reverb

This is where it's at for me, at the moment. I'm running i9 9900 & 2080ti. I have SS at 150% and settings tweaked pretty high in DCS and it looks very very good. This is what has caused me to make a permanent switch to VR. As a side note, I have three HP reverbs (consumer v1, consumer v2, and pro v2). I know the specs are the same, but the pro is more clear than the consumer (not going to get into a big debate about this - I have done a perfect side by side comparison by literally swapping them out via the cable connection); the pro lenses must be a little better quality or something - and the colors are better than the slightly more washed out look on the consumer versions. It is possible that it just the luck of the lot, but I find it compelling that both consumer headsets look exactly the same, with the pro being different. As for comfort, I find the reverb to be the most comfortable out of the three, mainly due to the light weight. Doesn't feel like I'm wearing a helmet. Anyway, the HP reverb is fantastic and currently the king for DCS VR IMO. But that will change in March 2020....

Pimax 8K X

When I hit CES, I made a beeline for Pimax. Got to meet Sweviver and introduced to VR Gamer Dude, both great guys. So they have people testing the 8K X with Aero Fly 2 and I'm thinking, "What? Give me some DCS!" I ask them if they can show me DCS, they have to switch computers and I'm sitting in the cockpit of the Su25T and I learn they that the frogfoot and the other free module TF51 are all they have running. I really wanted to sit in the hornet as I fly that most of the time and would be able to immediately see an apples to apples comparison. However, I was still able to make a pretty good judgment after flying for about 15 min. Immediately, I could see that the clarity was a bump up from the reverb, but not by as much as I was expecting (this could definitely be due to their in-game settings not being set as high as mine at home). But I could certainly tell the lenses were better. The colors were much more rich and vivid than the reverb, but they weren't "cartoony" vivid that I feel the index colors kind of give you. At first it was a little blurry reading the gauges and I asked them if it had ipd adjustment. Sure enough a dial right on the headset in about 3 sec I had my ipd set and blurriness fixed. But the real game changer for me was the fov. I can't describe how much better it felt in the plane with that clear and wide fov. It's like I took my Reverb goggles off and was now looking with my normal sight. I have been very satisfied with the clarity of the Reverb and if I can have the same or better clarity AND this crazy awesome FOV?!! 

I'm telling you guys that the Pimax 8K X is going to take the DCS VR community by storm when it launches and the word starts getting out. Oh, and it was smooth at 40 fps without any motion reprojection - not sure why that was. Comfort.. The thing looks huge, especially compared to the reverb. I was expecting a "weighty" feel more so than the Index. The thing is very light and with the strap, it was very comfortable. Can't give a true comparison though until I spend more time with it side by side with the others. The sound was not very good IMO (I did get to try the Pimax 8K X with the vive deluxe audio at the Yaw booth and that was much better). I'll be ordering mine with the deluxe audio as I feel that is a must. I should mention that the first attempt at DCS I was getting some flickering in the right screen, so Sweviver changed the headset out to a different one which had no problems. He did say that the problem headset had been dropped by someone. I really hope they don't have quality control issues like HP had when first releasing the Reverb. If their launch puts out headsets like the 2nd one I tried, this will no doubt be the VR version 2.0 that everyone has been hoping for!

Xtal

Okay, these guys had this thing setup properly with DCS. Demoing it with a $60,000 motion 6 dof motion simulator, Warthog hotas, and a proper DCS with the hornet or viper. First thing I notice is that the clarity is another bump up from the 8K X. Just very very clear. But things get weird. First, even though the clarity outside the cockpit and looking at the hud is amazing, the mfds are blurry, but not like normal VR blurry. It's like I'm wearing glasses that aren't the right prescription. I ask them if I can adjust the fov, but the fov is automatic ( a little bubble thingy pops up and supposedly auto sets your fov when you look at it), but it really didn't work for me. The bigger issue for me was the distortion as I looked around, almost like a fishbowl effect. The cockpit would move and distort as you looked from side to side. What I was mostly impressed with was the main developer that was there asking for my feedback (which I provided as honestly and accurately as I could). He was very intent on knowing my experience so he could improve the Xtal. I really have no doubt that these guys are going to get it right. However, they really aren't going for the consumer market as the one I tested was priced at $7,800. I think if they work out the bugs and get the thing down the $5k range, they may be able to pull in some VR enthusiasts, a very small niche I'm sure. As it currently stands though, it's probably good for certain enterprise applications where that distortion in movement won't really matter and crystal clear clarity is the only pertinent objective.

A quick note on motion sims.. I recently purchased the p2 from dofreality and had not gone through the burdensome process of trying to get it working right with the Reverb (which would require vive emulation and a motion compensation setup). Now that I have tried the 8K X that uses base station trackers and has built in motion compensation in their software, I'm really pumped to get that setup on my motion rig. My other issue right now with motion rig and DCS is the friction in the movement which takes away from the desired "floaty" feel I'm seeking for flight simulation. That friction is not  a problem with driving or coaster sims. So I check out the Yaw and the 6 dof rigs. From videos I watched, the yaw looks like it is rolling around on these smooth bearings. The only demo they had was a coaster sim, but I was surprised at how much friction I felt in the movement. The guy said it was vibration from the coaster, and he lowered it down, but it was still there and it was obvious the friction was the hardware. So I'm thinking I'm going to jump into this huge 6 dof rig and it's going to be floaty smooth (this is the same one MRTV's Sebastian tried last year). Immediatly I notice friction, but because the game sound is down low and I can hear very loudly the motors on the rig, I wondering how much of that is my brain creating the friction as it translates the sound from the motors. I'm still not sure how much friction was in my head vs reality. I was very impressed with the dev on the 6 dof rig. He and his Dad are pushing this tech to the limit with a 7 dof and 8 dof!

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    edited January 14
    I was never looking at getting a Pimax, but I can't wait around for Oculus to either update the Rift S or make a higher end Rift S with higher resolution displays. I think I'll be waiting years for that to happen now and I'm not willing to spend money on a Rift S when I own a Geforce 2080ti that is capable of HP Reverb resolutions. The only option I have left is to consider getting the Pimax 8k and also have the benefit of a much bigger Fov. That's unless anyone knows of another VR headset that's due out this year. 

I'm not sure I'm happy with the Pimax customer service from what I've heard far, so I might have to wait for amazon to get the Pimax in before I decide to purchase it. Hopefully I'll know more about it by then though. I'm just happy there is a company catering for the higher end graphics cards, but I just wish Oculus would do it. I'd purchase an Oculus Rift S with HP reverb displays tomorrow if there was such a thing.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,852 Valuable Player
    edited January 14
    I'm telling you guys that the Pimax 8K X is going to take the DCS VR community by storm when it launches

Not to be a negative nancy, but we heard that the first time with the original Pimax 8K kickstarter promises. And the only thing taken by storm were all the refund requests.

This will be Pimax's third attempt at making an HMD worth buying/keeping. Maybe third times a charm?

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,159 Valuable Player
    I'm not buying anything from a company that hired sweviver :lol:

In related news..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoyki7/pimax_marketing_director_is_publicly_threatening/
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:

In related news..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoyki7/pimax_marketing_director_is_publicly_threatening/
    I briefly met him at Gamescom this year. He seems a nice enough chap but a bit wet behind the ears. This latest spat is not a good look at all. Instead of throwing tantrums Pimax should simply strive to produce the best they can and let the positive reactions speak for themselves.  Going toe-to-toe with Upload like this causes more harm than good and making accusations based on compelling evidence should really be left behind closed-doors. Publically you really need to rise above it and prove them wrong. 

Sigh.  :s

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,058 Valuable Player
    Yeah I have stayed away from Pimax because of the image they project. And keep projecting.
    When I consider a new headset, they are not in the equation.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,730 Valuable Player
    edited January 15
    Looking forward to any headset reviews. When is it going wireless?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

Wildt said:
    I'm not buying anything from a company that hired sweviver
    I would love to fight sweviver IRL. Filmed, like those YouTubers who box each other.

edited January 15
    Zenbane said:
    Wildt said:
    I'm not buying anything from a company that hired sweviver
    I would love to fight sweviver IRL. Filmed, like those YouTubers who box each other.

Sweviver boxed Sebastian at MRTV.

https://youtu.be/cmtlJC8fYO0

I meant real fighting, Atmos. C'mon now!
    ;)

Plus, I would rather get sweviver in an MMA ring.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,280 Valuable Player
    Sweviver isn't too bad, but I'd love to give that bloke from MRTV the "Harv Shuffle".

I'm actually quite good at boxing, could have made professional if I could have been arsed lol

Didn't even box at Amateur level, couldn't be bothered to do the training. Got a great hand speed and good accuracy, used to mess around with the doormen at the Biker's pub I used to work in all the time.

The problem that I have is with my temper. Once I lose it I can't stop, would have killed a kid at school if it wasn't for my best mate's brother talking me down when I had this kid in a headlock. He started going blue apparently lol  :D

So I avoid fights whenever I can and if I can't avoid one I don't throw any punches, I just dodge them.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,542 Valuable Player
    The new fashion - does look kinda ... big 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    snowdog said:
    Sweviver isn't too bad, but I'd love to give that bloke from MRTV the "Harv Shuffle".

I'm actually quite good at boxing, could have made professional if I could have been arsed lol

Didn't even box at Amateur level, couldn't be bothered to do the training. Got a great hand speed and good accuracy, used to mess around with the doormen at the Biker's pub I used to work in all the time.

The problem that I have is with my temper. Once I lose it I can't stop, would have killed a kid at school if it wasn't for my best mate's brother talking me down when I had this kid in a headlock. He started going blue apparently lol 

So I avoid fights whenever I can and if I can't avoid one I don't throw any punches, I just dodge them.

I hear this type of story often, and my advice is always the same: you need to fight more often!
    I have fought a lot in my life (probably lost more than I won lol), and for myself and others who are similar, fighting becomes a bit second nature; so you don't really 'see red' and accidentally lose control to the point that you might unknowingly cause a life threatening situation.
    I could make you go blue, but not because I lost control. If I make you go blue, it's on purpose, and I'm probably talking shit to you the entire time it's happening.
    Nice topic digression, btw! lol
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,585 Valuable Player
    edited January 15
    Shadowmask72 said:
    Wildt said:

In related news..
    I briefly met him at Gamescom this year. He seems a nice enough chap but a bit wet behind the ears. This latest spat is not a good look at all. Instead of throwing tantrums Pimax should simply strive to produce the best they can and let the positive reactions speak for themselves.  Going toe-to-toe with Upload like this causes more harm than good and making accusations based on compelling evidence should really be left behind closed-doors. Publically you really need to rise above it and prove them wrong. 

Sigh.  :s
    Wow O.o sees like a BIG overreaction for something soo small? Never close doors in a pubic fashion unless you want it to kick you in the butt later. I can understand their point - but that is something you keep to your self and try your best to correct any misunderstand/information on the matter. Not good for VR and not good for customers in the long run.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,203 Valuable Player
    Thank goodness that primax doesn't have inside out tracking. If it did I couldn't resist and would have to buy it.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,971 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:

In related news..

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited January 16
    Not really TSE Kevin. It's not a case of them covering anything up, on the contrary. Rather, highlighting misinformation and not doing a very good job of handling it. Having read Upload's CES coverage of Pimax headsets, the entire article reads like a character assassination, presenting a totally negative bias which puts it at odds with most other reports. When you couple this with the numerous jokes and negative comments they made during their round-table event (allegedly) you can begin to see a pattern behind the narrative they are giving to Pimax the company.  Therefore, I don't blame Pimax for feeling like they are getting unnecessary bad-press from Upload. However,  the knee-jerk reactions from Sweviver should have remained behind-closed-doors. As per my previous comment he is a little wet-behind-the-ears and this latest outburst highlights that. Perhaps he is not the right person to be official spokesman for Pimax in English speaking countries and better suited to another role. He's very good at being passionate about the brand and a general all-round friendly "nice-chap" albeit a little thin-skinned sometimes.

Edit: @DaftnDirect   :*  <3

It's not a case of them covering anything up, on the contrary. Rather, highlighting misinformation and not doing a very good job of handling it. Having read Upload's CES coverage of Pimax headsets, the entire article reads like a character assassination, presenting a totally negative bias which puts it at odds with most other reports. When you couple this with the numerous jokes and negative comments they made during their round-table event (allegedly) you can begin to see a pattern behind the narrative they are giving to Pimax the company.  Therefore, I don't blame Pimax for feeling like they are getting unnecessary bad-press from Upload. However,  the knee-jerk reactions from Sweviver should have remained behind-closed-doors. As per my previous comment he is a little wet-behind-the-ears and this latest outburst highlights that. Perhaps he is not the right person to be official spokesman for Pimax in English speaking countries and better suited to another role.

Sweviver is acting the exact same way that he did when he would attack anyone on the Pimax forums who gave negative feedback about their product. And this was before they hired him. Remember when Sweviver attacked Pumcy?

So to make sure we get the timeline correct:
    • Sweviver goes to Pimax forum and acts a fool.
    • Pimax sees this, and hires Sweviver as a spokesperson.
    Seems to me that Pimax treats their hiring practice the same as they treat their manufacturing of VR products. I don't think it's fair to call Upload's reaction to Pimax's total lack of professionalism and utter incompetence in the VR market as a "negative bias."

That would be like saying that you yourself are intentionally giving Pimax a "positive bias" if we look at both of the Pimax threads you have created. You put their original kickstarter on a very high pedestal (before it was released), only for the product to turn out a failure. You and Upload are doing the exact same thing, only on opposite ends of the same spectrum.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,542 Valuable Player
    edited January 16
    Took me a few minutes to find the article, I think ... So the fuss is about this? The primary thing I get from it all is that Boneworks may require some strong VR legs - I'll test mine again in a few hours  ;)

https://uploadvr.com/ces-2020-reality-check/

Pimax frequently makes promises then delays delivering on them again and again. We’ve also heard numerous reports of problems with their hardware ranging from minor to major.

While my colleagues found Pimax demos at previous events, my first Pimax Demo was at CES 2020 and the first time I put a Pimax 8KX on my head I tried Boneworks.

The first thing I noted is that content popped in at the edges of the display a second or two after the rest of the scene. When I mentioned it, the demo (said to be running from an RTX 2080 TI) was switched to “parallel projections” and that solved the problem, but within about five minutes the right eye started blinking to black every few seconds.

I asked for another 8KX to try with Boneworks and this one didn’t have the problems I saw before. Its wide field of view invited me to look around a little more and the high resolution of the panels were certainly nice, but I found myself also constantly distracted by the significant distortions and bending of the scene at the edges of the lenses — more significant than the distortions I saw with Xtal. My right hand also lost tracking with 8KX, but that’s not entirely unusual for SteamVR Tracking in convention settings.

We’ve heard some people with Pimax headsets artificially reduce the field of view of the system through software adjustment to avoid these distortions while still enjoying a relatively expanded field of view. My colleague Tatjana returned to the Pimax booth later in the CES week to try both the 8KX and Artisan. Aristan is Pimax’ newest headset which ends up priced comparable to Valve Index when you include controllers and base stations. She played Boneworks and Fruit Ninja and found herself sick to her stomach afterward. I, too, left the Pimax booth a bit woozy.

There are Pimax defenders out there and those who will find the expanded field of view a good fit for their strong stomachs and top of the line graphics cards. Indeed, I got sick repeatedly over my 12-hour play through of the Boneworks campaign with Valve Index, but didn’t get uncomfortable as quickly as I did with that Pimax demo at CES.

Surely a wider field of view is something we want in future VR headsets but I remain unconvinced we’ll see it at an affordable price other than from a major platform like Facebook, Valve, Sony, Google, or Apple with large teams developing both optics and eye tracking technologies which could make these devices more comfortable.

Overall, the repeated delays for Pimax products and less than stellar impressions at CES 2020 means that we will keep using words like “claim” to describe plans for products pitched by this company.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited January 16
    Except I would hope I have given Pimax [the company] a fair-chance despite still not recommending their product fully from what I have played so far. I am not bound by any rules as an individual so I am allowed to be excited even if it's misplaced (regarding Kickstarter backing).   I assessed the 8K , not the company behind it, its practices, location or its staff.  If I look at the Oculus Rift launch (something you missed Zenbane) then that was a logistics moment of madness for all concerned. Would it be fair to keep on about that mishap every time Oculus released new products. I don't think Upload do that. It seems to me Upload want to consistently remind people of Pimax's mishaps though.

The bottom line is mistakes happen to the best of companies but does that reflect on the quality of the product all said and done. HP recalled the first batch of Reverbs, but the end product is still highly favourable for sim players or those who want high clarity.  Perhaps when companies make mistakes it makes them better in the long-run (see Oculus).  As far as Upload is concerned it seems Pimax is forever shrouded in negativity though. The way they present it as a small Chinese start-up with little experience trying to fill a big mans shoes and failing miserably. They fall short of saying, they should just give up and let Apple, Valve or Facebook fill the very small void they would leave. 

Except I would hope I have given Pimax [the company] a fair-chance despite still not recommending their product fully from what I have played so far.

I have to disagree. You began their previous kickstarter with some rather bold claims; stating that by backing Pimax you are helping "move VR forward" and getting something beyond what the Rift can offer "sooner rather than later." Neither of which really proved to be true in the grand scheme of things.  To give something a fair chance is to eliminate all bias, but you have always put a positive bias on Pimax before getting your hands on the product.

Furthermore, Pimax has been given multiple chances. First they released the 4K, then the 5K and 8K. All turned out to be paperweights. They are shooting for their Fourth product, and you expect people to hold back on having a human response to the obvious? I think it's unfair for you to judge other people's actions in situations where you are no better.

I am not bound by any rules as an individual so I am allowed to be excited even if it's misplaced

Is this your way of imposing rules on Upload in such a way that they are not allowed to act the same as you do? C'mon now. It's not about rules, it's about integrity. Both you and Upload yield the same integrity with your publicly vocalized opinions of Pimax.

The bottom line is mistakes happen to the best of companies but does that reflect on the quality of the product all said and done.
    What?? Company mistakes do not reflect the quality of a product? The entire history of industry dictates otherwise. Bad hiring practices have lead to failed products and services many a times. Either directly or indirectly.

HP recalled the first batch of Reverbs, but the end product is still highly favourable for sim players or those who want high clarity.

Yes, and unlike Pimax, HP has a history of good products. You do understand the difference in the success story of HP vs Pimax correct? HP doesn't go around hiring YouTube fanboys as their official spokesperson. Pimax is nothing like HP at all. Pimax's mistakes are not the common types of mistakes made by the likes of Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or HP. They aren't that privileged. Pimax makes the type of mistakes made by a bunch of teenagers running a scam out of their garage.

The way they present it as a small Chinese start-up with little experience trying to fill a big mans shoes and failing miserably.

That is a very accurate way of describing Pimax, their business model, and their hiring practices.

edited January 16

Here's how the article should have been presented with less bullshit about the company and more about the experience. It's still objective and gets the key-points across about the product. 

While my colleagues experienced the Pimax demos at previous events, my first Pimax Demo was during CES 2020. It was the first time I put on a Pimax Headset which in this instance was the 8KX running Boneworks. A small disclaimer here before we start: I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to these types of games in VR and I tend to suffer from motion sickness. Boneworks made me feel ill several times when I've played it on the Valve Index previously.  After my Pimax session I did feel a little woozy as did my colleague. Take that as you will.

With the 8KX properly adjusted, the first thing I noted is that content popped in at the edges of the display a second or two after the rest of the scene. When I mentioned it, the demo (said to be running from an RTX 2080 TI) was switched to “parallel projections” and that solved the problem, but within about five minutes the right eye started blinking to black every few seconds. I asked for another 8KX to try with Boneworks and this one didn’t have the same problems. Its wide field-of-view invited me to look around a little more and the high resolution of the panels were certainly nice, but I found myself constantly distracted by the significant distortions and bending of the scene at the edges of the lenses — more significant than the distortions I saw with Xtal. My right hand also lost tracking with 8KX, but that’s not entirely unusual for SteamVR Tracking in convention settings to go haywire in my experience.

We’ve heard some people with Pimax headsets artificially reduce the field of view of the system through software adjustment to avoid these distortions while still enjoying a relatively expanded field of view. However, I didn't have time to play around with any settings. My colleague Tatjana returned to the Pimax booth later in the CES week to try both the 8KX and Artisan. Aristan is Pimax’ newest headset which ends up priced comparable to Valve Index when you include controllers and base stations. Well have more about that in another article.

Surely a wider field of view is something we desire in future VR headsets. I am unconvinced we’ll see it at an affordable price and working flawlessly for some time. Perhaps Facebook, Valve, Sony, Google, or Apple with their larger teams developing both optics and eye-tracking technologies could make these devices more comfortable and user-friendly. Either way, Pimax is the only company releasing wide field-of-view consumer focused products right now, so we have to give them credit for trying at least. 

edited January 16
    Here's how the article should have been presented with less bullshit about the company and more about the experience.

Okay, and here's how all of your Pimax posts should be presented with less bullshit about pre-emptive hype and more about the truth:
    "I am ordering a Pimax. More to come."