New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Oculus Link cable is not working for me. Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• AquaHeaDAquaHeaD Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I have same problem as many of you when I try using the official Link cable together with the Thunderbolt port on my Lenovo y720. I have manage to get communication between headset and computer but it will crash within seconds again. I have also contacted Oculus support today but we will se if they answer. Otherwise I will return the cable. 
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 769
    3Jane
    AquaHeaD said:
    I have same problem as many of you when I try using the official Link cable together with the Thunderbolt port on my Lenovo y720. I have manage to get communication between headset and computer but it will crash within seconds again. I have also contacted Oculus support today but we will se if they answer. Otherwise I will return the cable. 
    Have you tried connecting it backwards, so the angled connector into your pc? This has worked for me, but I don’t know why, and obviously the cable still isn’t working as it should. 
  • XeroldXerold Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    enigma01 said:
    Xerold said:
    Update. I tried connecting the cable the other direction. ie the part that is supposed to go on the headset to the computer and viceversa and now it works. sounds dumb but it worked. Not sure how can I explain this!! 
    So that’s worked for both of us! I really don’t understand why this is working either, but surely there must be some fault with the cables? They should surely work connected either way. Is this something similar to Oculus earphones being wired incorrectly when they were first launched?
    seems like i'll be returning this 80$ piece of junk

• AquaHeaDAquaHeaD Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited January 15
    enigma01 said:
    AquaHeaD said:
    Have you tried connecting it backwards, so the angled connector into your pc? This has worked for me, but I don’t know why, and obviously the cable still isn’t working as it should. 
    I have tried that with no luck. 
  • kilogoldkilogold Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    After spending a fortune on all of these adapters here are my complete findings. Looks like one of these cables is going to be returned, and it won't be the red one...

THANK YOU, @MidnightDisplay !
    THIS is the kind of response I have been looking for! You saved me from doing this reseach myself; I was about to make some purchases in Amazon this very moment.

Your report confirms one thing. The signal request from the Link cable must be spoofed into a regular (copper) USB connection in order for a Thunderbolt3 port to emit the appropriate power response to the cable.

Looks like the only way we (the consumers) can force the power output for the optic cable to match the output of a copper cable is by using adapters. Your last 100% success is due to having a full-copper setup (cable + adapter), making the machine consistently output the required power to drive the cable.

So where does this leave us long-term? Looks like we're SOL, unless Oculus implements something at the driver level that says to the machine:
    "Hey, that fiber optic connection is actually intended to work as a regular USB device, please output standard USB power."
  • ticklemedalyticklemedaly Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    enigma01 said:
    AquaHeaD said:
    Turns out my cable that I just received two days ago also requires me to switch the direction to work on my Razer Blade Advanced Mid-2019. Thinking the thunderbolt 3 connection vs. the fiber usb-c cable is having a handshake issue with one of the ends. Hope support responds soon with my request I sent in...
    3Jane
    edited January 15
    kilogold said:
    Your report confirms one thing. The signal request from the Link cable must be spoofed into a regular (copper) USB connection in order for a Thunderbolt3 port to emit the appropriate power response to the cable.
    So why does my official Oculus cable work when connected to my Thunderbolt 3 backwards then (angled connector into PC), and other owners in this thread have reported the same?
  • mm2butlermm2butler Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    This is the response I have gotten from Oculus Support after a lot of do this and that and referring them to this exact thread.

Thank you for getting back to me with the results.

I have seen this issue happen in some instances, I'm not aware of the exact cause, but it's something we're looking into.

It's rather odd to me that the issue is resolved with an adapter, yet with the side effect of some lag, so we could proceed in one of two ways:

1. We could replace the cable to see if it's a physical defect with the cable.
    2. We could wait to see if the (eventual) V13 update is released to see if that fixes things.

Which would you prefer to go with?

• h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    enigma01 said:
    kilogold said:
    So why does my official Oculus cable work when connected to my Thunderbolt 3 backwards then (angled connector into PC), and other owners in this thread have reported the same?
    This sounds strange. For me it works on my USB C Port only if I plug it into the headset first and then into the computer. If it is put into the computer first it causes a compatibility mode on the controller I can see in the device manager. Definitely a driver issue. 
    Using a USB A to C active adapter ( I have this one https://www.angelbird.com/prod/usb-a-c-adapter-1817/) it works instantly and stable. 
    German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
    3Jane
    h.r.gargi said:
    This sounds strange. For me it works on my USB C Port only if I plug it into the headset first and then into the computer. If it is put into the computer first it causes a compatibility mode on the controller I can see in the device manager. Definitely a driver issue. 
    I tried that on mine also but made no difference for me, I still got the 'PC not detected' message within the headset. If I connected the angled connector into my PC it works, doesn't matter matter what order of connecting to PC or headset I take. Whatever cable end I connect to the PC or headset I always see these devices on my PC:

h.r.gargi said:
    Using a USB A to C active adapter ( I have this one https://www.angelbird.com/prod/usb-a-c-adapter-1817/) it works instantly and stable. 
    I never purchased this cable with the intention of having to mess around with extenders or adapters etc, or having to connect it backwards and having several inches of cable stuck out the side of the headset. 

Both myself and three two others within this thread @Xerold and @ticklemedaly have reported the official cable working with Link when connected to Thunderbolt with the angled end connected to PC. So I think this shows this theory not correct:?

kilogold said:

Looks like the only way we (the consumers) can force the power output for the optic cable to match the output of a copper cable is by using adapters. Your last 100% success is due to having a full-copper setup (cable + adapter), making the machine consistently output the required power to drive the cable.

Myself and two others have had the cable working connected with angled end into the PC, with no adapters being used. 
  • MidnightDisplayMidnightDisplay Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    enigma01 said:
    Myself and two others have had the cable working connected with angled end into the PC, with no adapters being used. 
    And then there's myself, who can't get it to run no matter which end I connect to the PC. @kilogold 's theory about the fibre optic cable having a lower power draw seems plausible. The cable worked when connected through a small bit of copper in the A to C adapter. Albeit, with a lot of stutter, but that is very likely down to the adapter bottleneck. Hope they release V13 soon, and that one fixes the drivers for Thunderbolt. Hate to fiddle adapters and velcro ties for the Amazon cable.
  • MLTBlackDragonMLTBlackDragon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys,

I've ordered the Quest and I came across this thread online.

After reading a few of the comments, I think I might have a solution worth trying to fix the issue, especially on laptops.

On your left lower screen you have "Type here to search" type in "Display" and select "Display Settings"

Then scroll down all the way and just under "Multiple displays" select "Graphics settings"

Once there, click on Browse and select where the Oculus is stored, you want the main icon that launches the oculus app, not any shortcut.

Once you've added that, select "Options" and then select "High Performance"

And Voilá.

I suspect that the original link cable is detecting your "Power saving GPU" instead of your "High performance GPU".

For example, it might be reading through an Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 GPU instead of a Nvidia GTX 1080Ti and hence not detecting the device correctly.

Please do let me know if this works because once my Quest arrives, I would love for it to be problem free!
  • EvolvicEvolvic Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone,

I had the exact same issue as most people in this thread and nothing worked.....until I tried something different.
    Just for some background, I was plugging my headset into my Gigabyte Aero 15x v8 laptop through its usb-c thunderbolt 3 port and the pc Oculus app was mostly detecting that the headset was attached but the quest itself showed nothing, it just sat there in its home environment.
    The link worked fine using a 3rd party cable plugged into a usb 3 port on the laptop so I know that it worked with the laptop, just not with the official Link cable.

After trying everything else I decided to try one last thing....switch off developer mode and then reboot your headset, the reboot is the important bit as just switching dev mode off in the app isn’t enough.
    Anyway after doing these 2 steps and letting the headset reboot I then plugged the official Link cable back into the Quest and the pc and boom!!....everything works perfectly now.

I realise this might still not be the fix for some people but its worth giving it a shot because if you are like me then nothing else worked.....this absolutely did!

I hope it helps!
    3Jane
    Evolvic said:
    After trying everything else I decided to try one last thing....switch off developer mode and then reboot your headset, the reboot is the important bit as just switching dev mode off in the app isn’t enough.
    I can’t try this as I don’t even have dev mode enabled. 
  • EvolvicEvolvic Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited January 16
    enigma01 said:
    Evolvic said:
    I can’t try this as I don’t even have dev mode enabled. 
    Sorry buddy, I realise that this might not be applicable to everyone.
    I hope you find a solution that works for you.
  • yanickpaquetteyanickpaquette Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Surprise.
    Reversing the cable, That is plugging the L shape plug in the computer and that Straight one In the Quest, makes the Cable finally work! It's a bit odd with that wire sticking out of the headset, but hey, better that than to deal with Occulus amazingly inefficient costumer service.
    Brain Burst
    enigma01 said:
    kilogold said:
    Surprise.
    Reversing the cable, That is plugging the L shape plug in the computer and that Straight one In the Quest, makes the Cable finally work! It's a bit odd with that wire sticking out of the headset, but hey, better that than to deal with Occulus amazingly inefficient costumer service.
    I need to know how consistent that result is.
    If you do this 10 times, are you saying you successfully connected all 10 times?
    I tried reconnecting 6 times, it only connected twice....
    I'm not the only one:
    enigma01 said:
    And then there's myself, who can't get it to run no matter which end I connect to the PC. 
    So if it indeed works consistently for you - @enigma01 @Xerold @[email protected]
    It would be helpful to share your machine make/model/year (I'm assuming these are all laptops)
    3Jane
    edited January 16
    kilogold said:
    It would be helpful to share your machine make/model/year (I'm assuming these are all laptops)
    Yep, I've tried more than 10 times and has worked every time. It takes a little longer to launch into Oculus home with the official cable than my cheap cable actually, but once launched and in Oculus home and gaming I see no performance difference. 

My laptop is an Acer Triton 500 PT515-51-7565 Year 2019 (RTX 2080 Max Q Version)

I have today received a reply from Oculus email support. They offered to RMA for a replacement, they made no mention of any possibility of Thunderbolt incompatibility or driver / software issue etc.  
    Brain Burst
    enigma01 said:
    kilogold said:
    Surprise.
    I need to know how consistent that result is.
    If you do this 10 times, are you saying you successfully connected all 10 times?
    I tried reconnecting 6 times, it only connected twice....
    I'm not the only one:
    enigma01 said:
    And then there's myself, who can't get it to run no matter which end I connect to the PC. 
    So if it indeed works consistently for you - @enigma01 @Xerold @ticklemedaly
    It would be helpful to share your machine make/model/year (I'm assuming these are all laptops).
  • yanickpaquetteyanickpaquette Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Worked all the time. Every time. 
    I'm running a big gear Rizen 9 on X570 Board and a GTX1080. Using the Motherboard USB-C. 
    However, the Oculus software report my usb connection to the Quest as USB 3 and not 3.1 like that cable is rated for. That Asus Port is even a 3.2 USB-C. Not sure what impact that does have, if any.  
  • 808Exile808Exile Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    All,

Just a side note on this, if your using a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C or Type-A note that per Oculus support, (I had this issue) there are known problems, specifically with the ASMedia chipset. In my case when connected it was reporting as being connected to a USB 2.0 port.

Gordon 
  • ticklemedalyticklemedaly Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited January 19
    kilogold said:
    So if it indeed works consistently for you - @enigma01 @Xerold @ticklemedaly
    It would be helpful to share your machine make/model/year (I'm assuming these are all laptops).
    I’m probably 8:8 times in getting it to work successfully in reverse.

Also ordered a female usb-c to male usb-a 3.1 adapter on Amazon, and that is working under normal conditions as well too, i.e. not in reverse. It then uses USB 3.2/3.1 specs rather than Thunderbolt 3.

I do suspect it is something with the Thunderbolt 3 port on my laptop, and possibly a driver/hardware handshake issue that the one end of the cable resolves vs the other...

It’s on a mid-2019 Razer Blade Advanced. USB ports are 3.2, and the usb-c Port is Thunderbolt 3.
  • untipofelizuntipofeliz Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited January 20

Hi there guys! Yesterday my Oculus Link suddenly stopped working. I tried rebooting every device, reinstalling Oculus, restoring my system, and today I just formatted and reinstalled a fresh Win10. Now Link still doesn´t work, but my Oculus app says I´ve gotta update my Quest, but no update shows up when I put on the visor, go to Information and then check the manual updates, which says there´s no one available. Is anyone having similar issues? Could anybody tell me which is Quest´s latest firmware and point me to a tutorial about manually updating? It shows like "connected and active", but also says there´s no USB 3 available when plugged in the port which worked correctly yesterday...

Im guessing this can be related to the installed versions of Oculus Home and Oculus quest. I´m in 12.0 in both my computer and my Quest, but the version number is slightly different. I tried to update my Quest and it´s stuck on the spinning wheel searching for an update. I´ve heard firmware divergences cause Link to stop working, so should I stop trying to fix this until new updates come? I´m that type of guy that tries every method desperately until extenuation.

Hope someone can shed some light over this!

EDIT: This is getting weird. I was fiddling around and trying Oculus Home to detect Quest, it gave a green blink just for a second and returned to the spinning wheel without results. Still doesn´t work.

NerveGear

Hi there guys! Yesterday my Oculus Link suddenly stopped working. I tried rebooting every device, reinstalling Oculus, restoring my system, and today I just formatted and reinstalled a fresh Win10. Now Link still doesn´t work, but my Oculus app says I´ve gotta update my Quest, but no update shows up when I put on the visor, go to Information and then check the manual updates, which says there´s no one available. Is anyone having similar issues? Could anybody tell me which is Quest´s latest firmware and point me to a tutorial about manually updating? It shows like "connected and active", but also says there´s no USB 3 available when plugged in the port which worked correctly yesterday...

Im guessing this can be related to the installed versions of Oculus Home and Oculus quest. I´m in 12.0 in both my computer and my Quest, but the version number is slightly different. I tried to update my Quest and it´s stuck on the spinning wheel searching for an update. I´ve heard firmware divergences cause Link to stop working, so should I stop trying to fix this until new updates come? I´m that type of guy that tries every method desperately until extenuation.

Hope someone can shed some light over this!

EDIT: This is getting weird. I was fiddling around and trying Oculus Home to detect Quest, it gave a green blink just for a second and returned to the spinning wheel without results. Still doesn´t work.

You might have tried this already, but worth giving a shot:
    In you Oculus Desktop App go to Setting->Beta and turn OFF the Public Test Channel. You will have to wait a bit and probably go to Notifications, it should start a download of the non-beta version of the software. Wait for the download and reinstall to finish.
    I had this before and it fixed it. Test version of the desktop app seems to be ahead of quest firmware at the moment.
  • SeaphoenixSeaphoenix Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Currently running into this issue with a 3rd party cable. It works on the desktop, but not my laptop. A shorter cable (that came with my Wacom Cintiq pro) works flawlessly with the laptop (and not the desktop)

My USB-C port is only 3.2, not Thunderbolt 3. Has anyone had success with the official cable on a 3.2 port? I’m waiting for mine to arrive...but with mail on Guam it can take a while. 

• MrBMTMrBMT Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Currently running into this issue with a 3rd party cable. It works on the desktop, but not my laptop. A shorter cable (that came with my Wacom Cintiq pro) works flawlessly with the laptop (and not the desktop)

My USB-C port is only 3.2, not Thunderbolt 3. Has anyone had success with the official cable on a 3.2 port? I’m waiting for mine to arrive...but with mail on Guam it can take a while. 

I've had success with third-party USB C cables with a USB type 3.2 Gen 2 port built in to my motherboard (which uses an ASMedia ASM2142 chipset).

---

I thought my official link cable arrived DOA because the L-shaped plug arrived damaged and it didn't work when I plugged tried it out both of my Thunderbolt 3 based type C ports so RMA'd it... based on the above posts, I'm now wondering if it was just the same Thunderbolt 3 issue people have been having above.

Still worth RMAing it I guess to get one without a damaged plug, but it'd suck if the reason it actually wasn't working was because I'd plugged it in to Thunderbolt 3 ports.
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable
    NerveGear
    Hello Rodion, Thank you for your patience while we reviewed the situation. I do apologize for the delay in our response. We are aware of an issue with the official Link cable and Thunderbolt 3 ports and have worked on a fix for it. That fix will be part of the next official release so I would ask for you patience until that is available. Please let me know if you have any questions or other concerns, Tim Oculus Support
    Got this in the email today in response to my ticket last week.
    Looks like we will be saved eventually :smile:
  • MrBMTMrBMT Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 27
    Hello Rodion, Thank you for your patience while we reviewed the situation. I do apologize for the delay in our response. We are aware of an issue with the official Link cable and Thunderbolt 3 ports and have worked on a fix for it. That fix will be part of the next official release so I would ask for you patience until that is available. Please let me know if you have any questions or other concerns, Tim Oculus Support
    Hmm, I got my replacement cable after initially receiving a damaged one, which also didn't work with my TB3 ports and literally put in a support ticket yesterday asking if I could return it for a refund.

I think I'm still going to go ahead with the refund for the moment (I'm currently using a 2m USB C cable, with a 2m USB C extension which is working perfectly via TB3 - it's just slightly shorter than I'd like) but could you update us if the upcoming update does indeed fix it when it's released please? If so I'll maybe consider re-purchasing the official cable again in the future.
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable
    3Jane
    Why did Oculus support tell me nothing of this when they emailed me? They just offered me a replacement or refund. Were you having similar issue to me where Link cable would work connected to TB3 but only connected wrong way (angled connector into PC?) Now I’m wondering if I have the same issue as you that may be resolved with software update or my cable is actually faulty.