New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Dangerous in VR

Elite_Dangerous_plyrElite_Dangerous_plyr Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited January 17 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I play ED and would like to play in VR mode...Can the Rift S do this, or can I only play the VR games in the library?

Best Answers

• Elite_Dangerous_plyrElite_Dangerous_plyr Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Accepted Answer
    Many thanks for answering my question AngryKFP....Now all I need to do is get one on order  ;)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,054 Volunteer Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    ED-Player said:
    I've been playing it since it was first released on the Amiga.....it has changed a lot since then....look forward to trying it in VR. Will find out on Saturday when it arrives :) 
    I started on Elite on the C64, then Elite Plus and Elite 2 on the Amiga, then Elite 3 on the PC (didn't get into that one as much). :)

Elite Dangerous has native Oculus support in all versions (oculus store, steam and frontier store). I use the frontier store version (so they don't have to give 30% to oculus or valve). As AngryKFP says, it's just a graphics setting to enable/disable VR.

I was once limping back to the station from a bounty hunting mission in my heavily damaged Python. The cockpit canopy had been blown, so I had no HUD. I actually flew the way back standing up and leaning to the side, so I was looking through a small shard of glass on the edge of the window frame, just enough HUD was visible on it to see where I was going.
    Definitely one of my favourite VR games.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Answers

• AngryKFPAngryKFP Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    It's a whole different game in VR :D
    NerveGear
    I've been playing it since it was first released on the Amiga.....it has changed a lot since then....look forward to trying it in VR. Will find out on Saturday when it arrives :) 
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,491 Valuable Player
    I was totally thinking of a different ED...... :D

May want to see a doctor about that if that is indeed the case.
  • AngryKFPAngryKFP Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I started on the Acorn Electron, it's still in the loft along with Elite on Cassette :D
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    edited January 17
    I'll just point out that when you play ED in VR (apart from the utter WOW! factor) that when you launch it in pancake you will need to use the options to reset to your normal screen resolution.  But, be warned, once you play E: D in VR you may never go back...
    Have a bundle of fun, hope to see you in the black sometime :)

If you have ED on steam, bought at a time they still gave you 'keys', or have a Frontier purchased version, you will be able to get a 'companion key' for free from Frontier, to launch it directly from Oculus.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    NerveGear
    edited January 17
    I got mine on steam and I have keys :smile:
    Looking forward to tomorrow even more now  :smiley:
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,054 Volunteer Moderator
    I never bothered getting oculus keys.
    Elite isn't the kind of game I suddenly decide to play after a round of Audica while wearing the headset. For Elite, I'm sitting at my desk, not using Touch. Starting the Frontier launcher and hitting Play with the mouse is less annoying than blindly picking up a touch controller, pointing at an icon, then putting the controller down again somewhere so I can use my HOTAS.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2