cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop the annoying back ground noise?

raymond_abel_33
Explorer
Using Oculus app last version. (current is Oculus software, Version 12.1) with Rift CV1.

How to quiet the anoying, new age background sound?

Thanks for your time
Ray
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@tetoculus Excellent! that worked (needed to upgrade to Win11 first...).

@MetaQuestSupport It is not noise, it is supposed to be background "music" that cannot be turned off. So, it is basically a badly designed feature - it is nice for first 15seconds, but then you would like to turn it off - and there is no settings to do that... And it is in Link Dashboard (homescreen when you are connected to a PC)

View solution in original post

The_1st_Dark_Lord_Morgoth
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey everyone. I spoke again with the engineering team about this feature. The best option that they recommend is to make posts on the Ideas Page of the forums about this feature. If enough people make posts about this feature, it could get enough developers to look at this idea, which can have the possibility of being implemented for future updates. Other posts from the Ideas Page have later been used for past updates, so this could do the same.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.

Nice job with that find there, @SirMeowzer! Hopefully this is able to help other users who are also having to deal with the background noise.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.

50 REPLIES 50

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
Hi,
If you can't turn it off you could just turn down the volume.

Failing that, you could stab the speakers with a screwdriver. That works for me every time.

raymond_abel_33
Explorer
I remouved the Rift sprekers but the Rift sofware send the sound in my wirell headset.  I try to turn it off, then mute in the Oculus software but as soon as I touch the volome on my head set then the stupid sound start all over agan.  I feel to sell the Rift to get someting else

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
From your Oculus home press the small left controller menu button.  Go to Preferences/audio and adjust or mute background music and maybe also sound effects.  This works for me with 12.1.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

raymond_abel_33
Explorer
I found that the sound comes from "Oculus home" Even whan all muted, each time I open Oculus app, I have to go in Oculus home, then the anoying sound stop.  Is theire any way to simply not lais Oculus home?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I found that the sound comes from "Oculus home" Even whan all muted, each time I open Oculus app, I have to go in Oculus home, then the anoying sound stop.  Is theire any way to simply not lais Oculus home?

Ya, go to your Oculus desktop app settings tab.  At the bottom disable start in oculus home slider.  Next time you startup you will be homeless.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ethanforns
Honored Guest

whoever put that horrible background chimes sound in should be tried.

I have found no way to silence the chimes unless I mute all volume.

I am forced to use oculus home.

META sucks. As soon as my headset dies, I will NEVER purchase an oculus or META piece of crap again.

KevinStartup
Explorer

If you open Volume Mixer in Windows, you can turn the volume right down on the Oculus App - seems to make it go away.  It is dumb of Meta to have put this on, no one wants it and there appears to be no option to remove it in the app.

I haven't tried this, but boy Meta is really running the whole experience for its users. Over something so stupid. Why wouldn't they make that an obvious on and off switch in settings. So weird and annoying! 

Exius86
Expert Protege

Yeah, it's outrageous that they can't do a simple switch in the settings to solve tha problem that annoys so many users... Anyway I found my way to solve it, but it requires a bit of audio editing. 
There are two audio files here:
Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-dash\dash\assets\raw\audio_dash\Assets

"mus_void_ambisonic.wav" and "GNux_Background_Loop_v2_ambix_1.wav" - just open them with any audio editor, turn down the volume to 0 and save - no more annoying background music.

In similar way you can also change this bright background in Oculus Link - edit "grid_plane_006.dds" texture here: Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-dash\dash\assets\raw\textures\environment\the_void

I prefer a plain black background without any noise or music. I hope that they add this option to settings one day, because I have to repeat all these manipulations after every update.