cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

So everything is good (or close) only in Japan 😄 

I wonder if Canada might have some units left (it's not listed).

I got a clicky left controller. That is to say, it's not clicky when it's supposed to be, so I submitted a ticket, and they said they'll exchange it. But I've been hesitant to send it out of fear I'd be playing one-handed for months till after the stock replenishes

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

So everything is good (or close) only in Japan 😄 

I wonder if Canada might have some units left (it's not listed).

I got a clicky left controller. That is to say, it's not clicky when it's supposed to be, so I submitted a ticket, and they said they'll exchange it. But I've been hesitant to send it out of fear I'd be playing one-handed for months till after the stock replenishes

Join the one hand Pistol Whip Club! 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I guess you could buy a Vive 2.0 wand if you were really hard up, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Unfortunately no native Rift driver and no super sampling  😞

Originally posted by Rune:
Can I start this app from Oculus Home without starting SteamVR?

Hi Rune,

It is currently only available vor SteamVR using the Steam SDK, so the client is needed.

Also thanks for your review.
As for your comment about resolution: Since it is a pre-rendered experience (4096*4096px@60fps as stereoscopic 360 video) increasing SS has no effect on the content. Resolution could only be increased even more, if I re-render it e.g. in 8K*8K, which currently is not manageable for me and would not be playable for most users. The current rendering already took several weeks on a render farm and the resolution and bitrate is at the max of what most machines are capable of running with gpu accelerated video decoding.

Best,
Marc

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Left for Dead...

https://youtu.be/4ufSGBHp99Q

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I just read this: 

"column correction is now automatic on the new steamvr version and it works really well. I pretty much don't notice any scan lines"

That does sound awesome - if true and it really works. I've had too much work the last week, not much time for VR, but I did get an hour with Lucky's Tale a few days ago - and I remember not seeing the columns. 
It seems columns are also present with Go and Rift-S, but not all notice them. I'll check if there's a new setting for dynamic/automatic column correction later - that would be awesome because fixed column correction may only work optimally for certain colors or temperatures, so dynamic correction could be a lifesaver! 
B) 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

I just read this: 

"column correction is now automatic on the new steamvr version and it works really well. I pretty much don't notice any scan lines"

That does sound awesome - if true and it really works. I've had too much work the last week, not much time for VR, but I did get an hour with Lucky's Tale a few days ago - and I remember not seeing the columns. 
It seems columns are also present with Go and Rift-S, but not all notice them. I'll check if there's a new setting for dynamic/automatic column correction later - that would be awesome because fixed column correction may only work optimally for certain colors or temperatures, so dynamic correction could be a lifesaver!  B) 

Just to confirm - column correction can now be set to "Auto" - and then you can add some fine adjustment values to make it as close to perfect as possible. I do believe this is the - so far - most efficient way to deal with the lcd columns. In many cases I no longer see the columns. But I know what to look for, and in Fujii they can briefly be seen faintly here and there - Until You Fall is close to perfect though. Not long ago I did see much more pronounced columns in Until You Fall (especially in the blue location where you start after having died), but not any longer.
Great to see Valve's engineers working hard to solve problems and finding great solutions. 
BTW, not sure 19 out of 20 would ever notice these columns, lol - but to me they have been the most annoying part of the Index. Sure CV1 has much more SDE, but it's a constant - not coming and going somewhat arbitrarily. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Heh Rune, not to get off topic but I think I found a way you might improve your Index blacks/contrast with Westworld Awakening.  I was playing with my wireless Cosmos today (I hate to brag, lol!) and I found that if I increase the Westworld Awakening graphics setting from Gamma 50 (default) to 75 there was a huge improvement.  Blacks seemed a bit better and the contrast was much better.  Actually looked as good as my cv1 w/2.0 SS.  Since the Cosmos and Index both have lcd screens I thought I would mention this.  Maybe if developers offer diff gamma setting on their games this will help bridge the gap between oled/lcd.  Who knows?

I tried that approach yesterday. My default gamma (brightness) was set to 35. I then increased it to 75, which made everything a lot more bright - also the lcd columns became more visible, so that was slightly problematic. But I then went the other way - and reduced gamma to 0, and now the game looked so much better, grey looked much more black-ish. I have not tested the game a lot, I'm still in the scene being hunted by some dude with an axe, really hard to find a moment where I'm motivated to go back in and get through the level, lol. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I can confirm that Valve now has made hardware changes to the Index controllers to avoid/reduce thumbstick issues - this photo was just posted on Reddit to show the change:

wv4pxzt66338.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/epng9i/noticed_that_my_rmad_controllerright_has_a_talle...

Note that one thumbstick now is like 1-2 mm taller than the other. The taller thumbstick is the revised version. I just checked my own rma'ed controller, and the thumbstick is indeed 1-2 mm taller - but the change is so small you'll normally never notice it. 

Now we have proof that Valve indeed has taken the thumbstick issue seriously and provided a hardware modification, awesome! 

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:
Now we have proof that Valve indeed has taken the thumbstick issue seriously and provided a hardware modification, awesome! 

But they still haven't admitted fucking up in the first place, have they? :wink:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb