cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DisplayPort not found after updating

FreelancerXYZ
Honored Guest
I bought a Rift S the day after Christmas. Annoying random bugs aside, it has worked fine in the days since.

Yesterday I fired it up for the first time this week, it automatically installed the v12 update, and now my DisplayPort isn't' found. PTC v12.1 doesn't fix it. I don't even see the PTC v13 option. This is clearly an issue caused by Oculus's update and it is very frustrating that the company seems to be ignoring this particular problem.

The Oculus software doesn't give me a red circle, it just endlessly spins like it is trying to find it. I let it spin overnight, still spinning in the morning.

This clearly isn't an issue with my PC because it worked fine for three weeks and only stopped after the version 12 update, which also seemed to throw Oculus into endless 'Oculus needs to restart' cycle.

I have tried:

- The endless game of unplugging and plugging in USB, then DP. Doesn't work.

- Repaired Oculus install. Didn't work.

- Uninstall and reinstall Oculus software. Didn't work.

- Public Test Channel on: didn't work.

- Public Test Channel back off: Didn't work.

- Install Oculus on a totally fresh Windows 10 on my gaming laptop. Same DP issue, but at least the constant 'restart' bug isn't present.

- Update Windows and NVIDIA drivers. Didn't work

- Manually update Oculus drivers. Didn't work.

I've attached the diagnostics log.

So at this point, I'm left with a totally useless device that I've spent more than $500 on and had for less than a month. 

Yes, I have submitted a support ticket, no I haven't heard back yet. 

No, I cannot return it to Best Buy because I'm now a few days outside of the return period and they won't take it back. 

Has Oculus in any way acknowledged this DP issue caused by its software and has it offered any sort of workaround to anyone?

Gaming Desktop Specs:

- Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7Ghz
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- 16GB RAM
- Four high-power USB ports
- Three DisplayPorts, none of them work now.

Gaming Laptop PC specs:

- Intel i7-9750H 2.6Ghz
- GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
- 16GB RAM
- High-power USB
- Mini DP

jwjkeuvn9cl5.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Pleasefixyoshiz
Explorer
Hey mate, check this post out: reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoy744/rift_s_display_port_not_found_fix_driver_rollback/

FreelancerXYZ
Honored Guest

Hey mate, check this post out: reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoy744/rift_s_display_port_not_found_fix_driver_rollback/

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try now

FreelancerXYZ
Honored Guest
Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. It successfully rolled the firmware back, but all that did was reintroduce the 'Oculus needs to restart' issue; it still doesn't find the DisplayPort and now it wants to be restarted constantly.

Oculus, you guys need to acknowledge that y'all effed this up right at the holiday season and this is something you need to fix asap. Give us some transparency about what you're doing about this and how long we should expect to be stuck with completely unusable headsets. Because right now, it looks like you're just ignoring this particular issue and wasting time working on dumb Facebook integrations that we can't use if our headsets are 100% dead.

VR2018FR
Expert Protege

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. It successfully rolled the firmware back, but all that did was reintroduce the 'Oculus needs to restart' issue; it still doesn't find the DisplayPort and now it wants to be restarted constantly.

Oculus, you guys need to acknowledge that y'all effed this up right at the holiday season and this is something you need to fix asap. Give us some transparency about what you're doing about this and how long we should expect to be stuck with completely unusable headsets. Because right now, it looks like you're just ignoring this particular issue and wasting time working on dumb Facebook integrations that we can't use if our headsets are 100% dead.

at first  it didn't work for me (same problems with display port and reinstall the coulus software) but after  restarting my computer everything went back to normal.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Have you done this :- unplug the Rift S USB, close Oculus, and shut down your computer.   With the USB still unplugged, turn on the computer and wait until windows had fully loaded (wait for not much action on the HDD light).  Start Oculus, when fully loaded plug in the Rift S USB.

Leave the display port plugged in whilst doing this. 
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

FreelancerXYZ
Honored Guest
khe6srfvy7ks.jpg

Can someone plz check their Rift S DisplayPort connector and tell me whether it is supposed to be missing this pin? Or did I get a faulty cable that has officially lost one of its pins? It doesn't explain the 'Oculus must restart' error, but maybe that is being triggered by a physical defect.

I checked for a physical defect because other peoples' screenshots show the red X error circle on the device setup screen next to the green USB bubble, but all I get is an endlessly spinning circle as if Oculus is trying to connect. So maybe they just need to ship me a new cord, idk

fishhunt
Expert Protege
looks like you got 2 missing pins. On mine I have 10 pins on each side

FreelancerXYZ
Honored Guest

fishhunt said:

looks like you got 2 missing pins. On mine I have 10 pins on each side

Thank you, I appreciate it