Lenovo is building another standalone VR headset

ShocksVR
Superstar

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S
21 REPLIES 21

Richooal
Consultant
I see the path clearly now....................

1. Oculus Rift
    Oculus Go

2. Lenovo Rift S
   Oculus Quest

3. Oculus Rift 2
    Lenovo Quest S
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

I see the path clearly now....................

1. Oculus Rift
    Oculus Go

2. Lenovo Rift S
   Oculus Quest

3. Oculus Rift 2
    Lenovo Quest S

Nothing wrong with dreaming big...
😉

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So only Sony and Lenovo can use a Halo designed headset?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

So only Sony and Lenovo can use a Halo designed headset?

No, Samsung also licensed the system.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think many of you will be surprised to hear how the OculusVR relationship will be defined after the launch of Lenovo's own Standalone - we could be looking at another Samsung situation. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
You would have thought that with all the money Facebook has, they would build their own.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Calibos
Heroic Explorer
Lenovo Educational 4K 3DOF Standalone with Qualcomm 835, active cooling and bigger battery in rear of headband.

Lenovo Manufacturing Partner with Oculus.

Oculus permanently reducing price of Oculus GO 1.0 last week (Reducing Inventory??)

My 6 month old theory just got a whole lot more plausible. ie. a Facebook F8 2020 announced Media focussed 4K GO 2.0 with Qualcomm 835 with active cooling and bigger battery, the only difference being I reckoned it might have 2 Camera Insight for 6DOF HMD tracking but no Touch so as to keep costs within the GO 1.0 pricing envelope and prevent such a high res standalone 6DOF HMD stepping on the toes of Quest. 

Mark my words, at this Aprils F8, Zuckerberg will announce a Media focussed Oculus GO 2.0 badged version of this 3DOF Lenovo HMD or my theorised version with the addition of 2 camera Insight for 6DOF HMD and tracked hands for UI interaction.

Even though I just bought a HP Reverb in the BF sales for VR Sims and replacing my GO 1.0 for Virtual Cinema, even a 3DOF Oculus Ecosystem version of this HMD would become my goto $199 Virtual Cinema HMD with virtually the same res and SDE levels of Reverb but hopefully even better lenses and of course I’d be untethered for VR Cinema again.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

I think many of you will be surprised to hear how the OculusVR relationship will be defined after the launch of Lenovo's own Standalone - we could be looking at another Samsung situation. 

I'd love the idea of Lenovo getting access to Oculus Store, but it's probably all in my dreams... Oculus could let Lenovo handle PCVR until Oculus feels ready to launch CV2/3 if ever... Rift-S already feels like a Lenovo hmd with Oculus Store access... But it's probably not going to happen. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
If Lenovo is involved, it is going tor pretty so-so quality imho.  Hope I'm wrong.  
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers