cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S - Display Port

Dropeliciouse
Honored Guest
Hello,

I had decided to purchase oculus rift s over HTC vive however after doing some more research i realized that you can
not connect it to a computer that does not have a Display port.

This is a huge deal breaker for me due to the fact that I recently bought a laptop that has better specs than my desktop and I am not intending
to spend another 400 - 500 $ to upgrade my desktop just so i can use an oculus rift s due to the fact that I could purchase a HTC vive pro at
that price point.

Is there a way I can still use a oculus rift s while not having a display port and w/o losing any quality ?

Thanks for your time,
Edgars
2 REPLIES 2

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I have the MSI Trident3, it has a Geforce card with a display port, however it also has a pass through to a dedicated VR port on the front of the machine, however it is HDMI.  I would like to use the dedicated HDMI for the Rift S, but every review of HDMI to DP says they don't work with the Rift S.
If you find one that works let us know.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

PotatoDuck82465
Honored Guest
Currently there is no adapter compatible with the Oculus Rift S cable that will allow you to connect your Oculus Rift S via HDMI. The Oculus Rift S runs with 80Hz and no cable available has the same Hz capacity. However there are USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 adapters that have been tested, and work.
Here is a video that explains the issue and shows some compatible Thunderbolt 3 adapters.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qlZ8yur8s