cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I love my Index as much as I imagine any Lamborghini owner loves their beast (until the window in said Lamborghini stops only halfway down and they go "wtf, I paid all that money for this???" - seriously, watch the video linked above)

Fun analogy! Although considering all the issues with Index and its controllers:
  • Clickgate
  • Drifting
  • HMD Overheating
  • God Rays
  • Haptics
The analogy would entail more than just a Lamborghini's windows stopping halfway down. It would be more like... if the power steering stopped working at random intervals, the brakes went out spontaneously, the engine overheats while driving, and the vehicle randomly shakes even when on a smooth road.
😮

I consider both the Rift-S and Valve Index to be "Gen 1.5" devices. Technically speaking, Index is a CV1 (the first Consumer Version of the Valve Index), and there is just too much confirmation by the global Index userbase across YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit that while a great product for enthusiasts with a large budget to spend on a hobby, VR itself is still waiting for its next true Gen 2 device.

For anyone experiencing the Index's overheating issues, here's a good article on how to help:
https://vrgear.com/news/how-to-stop-your-valve-index-from-overheating/

A Kickstarter fan mod hits its goal:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kyle-fredericks/chilldex

I started this project as a response to being fed-up with the amount of sweat building up in the headset, literally after a few songs of beatsaber, sweat would be beading up near my forehead and getting in my eyes.  I was just overall unsatisfied with the level of heat in the headset.  I drew the line when I was making the headset damp playing moss which is a sit-down game.  With Halflife: Alyx around the corner, longer and longer play sessions are becoming the norm.

The dude was sweating during Moss!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Actually my Vive Pro (McLaren Limited Version w/2.0 base stations/controllers) base stations are very quiet both during startup and while running.  I feel kinda ripped off since it would be nice if they actually sounded like a McLaren racing car during startup, lol!

Does the Index have onboard Bluetooth to allow you to put your base stations into either standby or sleep mode like I can do with my Vive Pro w/Link Box and SteamVR device options?  Just asking, thanks.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Tried Aircar again last night and again no sound, but restarted it and sound was back - so this issue is probably not Nvidia driver related, but related to Aircar and SteamVR 1.9.16. 
Tried tons of games after upgrading my 1 year old 417 driver to the brand-new 441.87, but I really can't see any performance differences regarding both Index and CV1. Maybe Stormland felt slightly better, closer to 90 fps, but it's probably just me prone to the placebo effect. Used several 2D benchmarks, same performance (less than 1% difference). But Boneworks still works - getting the performance back in Boneworks is the only effect of upgrading from 417 to 441.87 I've found. Then again I'm using GTX, and 441.87 is primarily targeted against RTX. Still 441.87 contains many fixes for more recent games like Boneworks, Stormland and Asgard's Wrath, but apart from Boneworks I have not observed any benefits. In short, if you don't have problems with Index or CV1, and you're not already using 441 nor RTX, 441.87 is probably not worth the effort to upgrade. 

Btw, another benefit of Index is that I've never experienced any fogging - which happens often using the CV1 - and this is although Index isn't hotter at all than the CV1, at least touching both CV1 and Index temps feel similar. I have not tested if 120-144 Hz increase power consumption though, I usually use 90 Hz. Have spent some time playing Space Pirate Trainer 120Hz res 200%, works perfectly - still Index did not at all feel hot. 
Like the CV1, you can peek out under the nose of the Index probably ensuring similar ventilation. Temps in my VR gaming room are close to 68F all year (20C), maybe experiences will differ in Arizona and Australia, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:
Does the Index have onboard Bluetooth to allow you to put your base stations into either standby or sleep mode 

There's an option in settings to put Index base stations into standby mode automatically upon closing SteamVR (for some weird reason that setting is not turned on by default, so base stations just keep spinning)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:
Does the Index have onboard Bluetooth to allow you to put your base stations into either standby or sleep mode 

There's an option in settings to put Index base stations into standby mode automatically upon closing SteamVR (for some weird reason that setting is not turned on by default, so base stations just keep spinning)

It uses Bluetooth - it's very important that it works, or you'll have the base stations turned on constantly (green light) instead of standby (blue light). Of course it's possible to turn them completely off by turning off the power. 
I have both Index and base stations in standby when not in use - I never turn them completely off, love the oscillating/pulsating blue standby light from the base stations - like they're alive and sleeping/breathing. In standby mode they should be totally quiet.  

I think the Bluetooth signal is emitted by the HMD to the base stations, not sure you need to have Bluetooth on your mainboard or otherwise enabled in Win10.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Thanks guys.  With my Vive Pro the Bluetooth is built into it's Link Box.  So when I go wireless and ditch the Link Box I lose the ability to change base station power settings.  They are either on or off.  The workaround is to keep the Link Box powered on and connected to a usb port (but not the DP) on your PC.  So, there is no BT on the headset itself, nor can it communicate with your PC's other BT's.  Seems to be a propriety thing.

Actually, I'm not finding the Vive wireless all that useful with either my Cosmos or esp. my Vive Pro.  It's very CPU hungry so depending on the game/sim I seem to lose 10-25% performance.  It also seems to increase the Mura with my Vive Pro's oled's.  Not so much a problem with my Cosmos lcd's.  I mainly VR sitting/standing so the wireless is not all that useful to me anyway.  It was more of an experiment, which I'm still glad I've tried.  Maybe Gen2 headsets will include better wireless.  In the meantime I would not take too much credence in guys who poo-poo the fact that the Index does not have wireless because its still work in progress imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Gabe has mentioned that wireless is a priority for the Index, but that was several months ago and since then not much news about wireless.
The Index cable is really high quality though - much thicker than CV1 - and it's much longer, 6 meters in total? (Valve: "5m tether, 1m breakaway trident connector." - I have not measured it) I notice the Index cable less than the CV1 cable when playing due to its length - but I never really had problems with any tether. Just like being on a spacewalk outside the ISS, I appreciate a safety line  B)

Image result for astronaut safety line

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Had a great time playing Boneworks last night - I'm waiting for the mid-level save patch and have not played the game much since Christmas, but can't wait forever for the save patch. It does mean you may need to have at least 2 hours free when playing a level for the first time - in case you get stuck in a puzzle. 
Even though some physics puzzles can be very frustrating, overall it's a long time since I enjoyed a game more, at least within its (first person shooter) genre. Somehow Boneworks reminds me of Half-Life 1, but not Half-Life 2. Maybe it's the desolate and depressing gray locations - the feeling of being truly alone in a very strange place - that gives this game an awesome and rather unique atmosphere. 

I think the level "Runoff" gives a nice impression of the game and the puzzles, if someone wants to see what the game is about - this is a walkthrough and does contain spoilers (played using Index controllers):

https://youtu.be/EcxhgOvpwFM

Using the sniper rifle is great fun in that level, and weapons generally feel extremely real in Boneworks. I took a pistol in each hand - Pistol Whip Style - and blasted through a larger crowd of opponents, totally awesome. Also lost my orientation completely in my VR room a few times - I haven't done that much since I played Lone Echo, lol. 

Seems like the devs have gotten finger tracking to work close to perfectly, no more problems with the middle finger :blush: Also using 1.9.16 I have not had problems with finger tracking - but my hands may have just the right size for the sensors, who knows (btw, drumming the fingers along the handle will cause Index controllers to recalibrate in case of problems)... 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some dude 3D printed this Index controller charge stand - does look nice, although I'd prefer more black-ish/dark colors:

lwef1eshqo8a.jpg
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4114687

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Yes, I think I got it back in late November (it's in a post somewhere in this thread I'm sure) - it took 3 weeks forth and back... 

I also got the new taller thumbstick, but didn't notice it before today :blush:  

It's still working perfectly - but now I'm worried about my right old controller  😄  

EDIT - found it, page 41 in this thread - got it back Nov 20, so before everything sold out. 

I have to RMA mine too but not because of the click issue. I had the issue but it wasn't a big deal for me. Now my left controller drifts very badly. I tried the controller deadzone adjustments and recalibration but nothing works. It has steadily gotten worse, now it's barely playable. 

Again, the Rift controllers are just better. I keep accidentally grabbing things using the Index controllers. I'm sick of charging them and sometimes forgetting to charge them. With the Rift-S, I just swap rechargeable batteries. Tracking every finger adds nothing to games. It just makes the controllers more expensive and prone to failure. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2