cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think twice about buying primax. I was right about cosmos.

inovator
Consultant
Simply put, primax is moving its us customer base back to china. Do you really want to spend a thousand dollars and deal with that?
84 REPLIES 84

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

I'm not spending £1000 on a HMD, do you even know what you could do with £1000??? do you??? DO YOU!!!!???!!!!
  • You could give it to charity
  • You could buy a car
  • You could go on holiday
  • you could buy PS5 and Xbox series X
  • You could buy an epic GPU to run your VR and 2D games
  • You could buy a dog
  • You could buy a sexy fridge
  • You could buy a years supply of chocolate!
£1000 on a HMD is bloody ridiculous! What kind of people do you think we're???!!!!

The most I would spend in a HMD personally is £999.99 (not including index controllers and base stations + deluxe audio strap) anything more then that is simply absurd.

I think my head is about to explode. 

lol seriously? You know I was just kidding right...haha
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

inovator
Consultant

SkScotchegg said:⁷

inovator said:

I'm not spending £1000 on a HMD, do you even know what you could do with £1000??? do you??? DO YOU!!!!???!!!!
  • You could give it to charity
  • You could buy a car
  • You could go on holiday
  • you could buy PS5 and Xbox series X
  • You could buy an epic GPU to run your VR and 2D games
  • You could buy a dog
  • You could buy a sexy fridge
  • You could buy a years supply of chocolate!
£1000 on a HMD is bloody ridiculous! What kind of people do you think we're???!!!!

The most I would spend in a HMD personally is £999.99 (not including index controllers and base stations + deluxe audio strap) anything more then that is simply absurd.

I think my head is about to explode. 

lol seriously? You know I was just kidding right...haha

Ya I like good humor.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
People complain about VR support across the board.  That's not unique to Pimax. As far as I am concerned, I've had no issue at all with my dealings with Pimax. However, I am not blind to the many who have had a lousy experience. I "get" the caution here.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

inovator
Consultant

People complain about VR support across the board.  That's not unique to Pimax. As far as I am concerned, I've had no issue at all with my dealings with Pimax. However, I am not blind to the many who have had a lousy experience.

I hope u have a great experience. Even though the primax isnt for me i want them to succeed. It's great for vr. I would love a similar fov. If you can get that and it makes you happy that would be great. I dont want to be a downer but as a forum I like talking about the positives and negatives of things. I'm looking forward to hearing your review.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think after what happened at CES that we are about to see major management restructuring across the board - and while Pimax has survived some major bad-PR, their core (Chinese) executive team can not feel they have seen value for money from their Western managers (also linked to issues with conflicts of interest accusations).

To see Pimax enter the scene with a surprise low cost platform, and also the confusing list of versions they currently field, makes me question their focus. Also there is the question of support, long before their decision to relocate back to China, there have been issues. And finally the suggestion from some sources that they are looking to raise more capital all add up to warning flags for me. 

I think we can see from the success VRgineers has achieved in the Enterprise sector with their WFOV headset, against issues with Pimax entering this essential market, (especially with what happened to SarVR) - questions are bound to be laid at the feet of the current board regarding what they have achieved, and if focusing on a China first strategy is more achievable?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

People complain about VR support across the board.  That's not unique to Pimax.

There are levels and degrees of problems that are definitely unique to Pimax. No one is denying that problems exist across the board with all companies. But there's a difference with quality issues and troubleshooting that comes with products like the Index, Rift, and Vive... compared to the horror show that Pimax puts forth.

Or to put that another way, Pimax has just as many "common support problems" as anyone else, and then adds an entire layer of awful on top of it. Such as having an instant language barrier:

Some of the people in tech support don’t speak the language that the requests are coming in. So they sometimes don’t understand what the request is. If the request comes in and it can be interpreted more than one way the response that you get may not even be related to your request, sometimes.

Meeting deadlines hasn't been much of an issue for Oculus, Valve, and Vive. Yet it was a huge issue for Pimax:
https://uploadvr.com/pimaxs-8k-vr-headset-delayed-ces-plans-revealed/

Their customer support problems are layered on top of:
  • Time delays
  • Buggy Software
  • Quality issues with Hardware

I've had no issue at all with my dealings with Pimax

But you recently admitted that your primary HMD is the HP Reverb, correct? It's easy to not have issues with something that gets little to no use. I have a car in my garage that I never drive. Ironically, it never gives me issues. Crazy.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
But it did have quite a bit of use until I sold it. During the time I did use it, I had no issues. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones. I am on my 3rd HP Reverb though and support the first time was abysmal, utterly soul destroying. Support the second time was very good. The third time was incredibly effective and mind-blowingly awesome. Take that as you will.

Perhaps Pimax simply doesn't learn very quickly, or fumbles about in the dark. The language barrier as you mention a stumbling block perhaps?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Luciferous
Consultant
Please don't try to put shadow off of buying one, I am looking forward to his review 🙂

I would recommend everyone else wait 😉

inovator
Consultant

Please don't try to put shadow off of buying one, I am looking forward to his review 🙂

I would recommend everyone else wait 😉

Like I said I hope it succeeds but threads are meant to discuss the pros and cons.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've always wanted wide FOV. Whenever we've had poll's on this forum over the years regarding what features people want next from Oculus with their CV2 I've always voted for more FOV! That has always been the main priority for me.

So for quite some time now I've had my heart set on getting an Index, despite the glare/god rays and controller issues it did sound very good to me compared to Rift S/CV1. It sounds like a good a upgrade. As more time has gone on though I think that upgrade path would annoy me because I didn't like the god rays on CV1 so if Index has that just as bad it could be an issue.

But recently I've seen Pimax Artisan on YouTube and it's £449 and then obviously I would need to buy knuckles, base stations and deluxe audio strap so that's another £400? I think? So total of £849 which is pretty decent.

So to me, this will be like I've skipped the Index and gone from Rift S to Pimax with 170° FOV 120hz with knuckle controllers and good tracking. I am just as much looking forward to going back to proper outside/in tracking as I am the FOV and I'm also looking forward to trying knuckles. So I believe this will feel just as good as Index but will actually feel even better because of the larger FOV. And all of this is cheaper. Even cheaper if you don't get the upgraded deluxe head strap obviously.

Also Guys, I noticed something, on ever single YouTube video and every single website on the internet is states 140° FOV for Artisan but I find this very strange. Unless originally they said 140° and then changed to 170 because if you go to the official Pimax website and click on Pimax Artisan you will see that it clearly states 170° FOV up and down the page. I just thought I'd point this out as I find it strange why everyone is saying 140° FOV when the truth is it's actually got 170° FOV.

Don't believe me? Check out their website right here ladies & gents:
https://www.pimax.com/

So anyways, I'm excited now. I'm still saving for my mortgage but now I'm saving for this as well. I don't think it's released yet either and no idea when it will be released. I'm guessing maybe 5 months from now?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!