New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Need to update to windows 10 even though i am running windows 10? [SOLVED]

Darkness_Fills_YouDarkness_Fills_You Posts: 27
Brain Burst
edited February 6 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
There is a blue bar at the top of the oculus software that says "Starting January 14, 2020, we will no longer support your version of Windows. Please upgrade to Windows 10. Learn More."  the problem here is, I HAVE WINDOWS 10 ITS EVEN THE PRO VERSION! Please help... Looked everywhere but nobody had this issue?

what

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    Not sure but maybe you need to reinstall your Oculus software so that it then recognizes you have win10 installed and loads up the appropriate win10/64 drivers.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,482 Volunteer Moderator
    Version 1809 is a 2018 version that apparently was troublesome. Since then we've had 1903 and 1909 released.
    That's what the oculus message is most likely talking about, you have the right OS but an out of date version of it.

• Darkness_Fills_YouDarkness_Fills_You Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    How do i update it?

• MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 518
    Neo
    How do i update it?

Google, update windows to 1909, and make sure the link is for Microsoft. 
    Brain Burst
    k thx

Maxxgold said:
    How do i update it?

• Tetsuya.FTetsuya.F Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, my windows is windows 10 1909 but have the same issue.
    Can anyone help me?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    kojack said:
    Version 1809 is a 2018 version that apparently was troublesome. Since then we've had 1903 and 1909 released.
    That's what the oculus message is most likely talking about, you have the right OS but an out of date version of it.

I'm on 1803 (forced update from 1703) and have never seen the message - but if the OP had 'upgraded from 7 or 8/8.1 I suppose it could be that.

Still a good suggestion to uninstall/reinstall Oculus clean though - I had to do this a couple of months ago when I changed Motherboard - so maybe that helped :)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    k thx

Maxxgold said:
    How do i update it?

Link to Microsoft page to download Windows Update Assistant:

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Brain Burst
    Issue again, still says it i have checked for updates and updated it overnight. I want to say i did not use precious windows on my computer.
    Brain Burst
    Would redownloading oculus uninstall the games aswell?

• Pic0oPic0o Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Reinstalling should not make you need to re-download games as it would be like running an update.  If you uninstalled the Oculus software first, yes then you would likely need to re-download all your games again.

Just to verify, if you run cmd.exe, it will show your current windows version in that command prompt window.
    In my case, I am on Windows Version [Version 10.0.18362.418] When googling that, it gives extended details on my patch level for 1903 build of Windows 10.

Hopefully a reboot and cmd check of your version clears that error message in the Oculus software. 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,313 Valuable Player
    How do i update it?

Just go to windows update in your settings. It will be there. No need for another full ISO install. 
  • Aqualogarithm8Aqualogarithm8 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have windows 1909 and I reinstalled oculus and I have windows update assistant and it still appears at the top of my screen saying I can't use my oculus rift s until I upgrade to windows 10
  • tonywygtonywyg Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I have windows 1909 and I reinstalled oculus and I have windows update assistant and it still appears at the top of my screen saying I can't use my oculus rift s until I upgrade to windows 10

exactly same issue under W10 1909 wilth all udpates done ... :'(
    Anyone have solution ? :)
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    Are they legit copies of windows? I wonder that every time I see a consumer with Pro.
    NerveGear
    jayhawk said:
    Are they legit copies of windows? I wonder that every time I see a consumer with Pro.

yes legit copies
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    If these are legit copies and you have actually activated them (see your win10 system settings) you should be ok as far as win10 goes.

You may also need to update your USB drivers.  The easiest way is to go into win10 device manager and delete all your usb listings.  Then when you restart your PC win10 should reinstall these.  You then just need to go and check that the power savings option on each of these in disabled.

You may need to reinstall your nvidia drivers to make sure you have the win10/64 version.  I think I needed to do this when I first upgraded from win7 to win10 a few years ago (free at that time).

To make sure you get the right win10 Oculus drivers installed and recognised I suggest you unplug all your Oculus gear and do a full Oculus software uninstall as described at Oculus support;

First, to uninstall the Oculus software:

1. Click the Windows key.
    2. Type in "Add or Remove Programs" and then select Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Locate the Oculus app within Add or Remove Programs and click Uninstall.
    4. If Windows asks you if you’re sure you want to open this process, click Yes.
    5. After the Oculus app loads, click Uninstall within the Oculus app and wait for the uninstall to complete.
    6. Once the software is uninstalled, navigate to /ProgramFiles/Oculus on your computer and manually delete the Oculus folder.
    7. Restart your PC.

After your computer restarts, reinstall the Oculus software:

1. Go to https://www.oculus.com/setup.
    2. Click Download Oculus Software to download OculusSetup.exe.
    3. Open OculusSetup.exe and follow the onscreen instructions to install the latest version of the Oculus app.
    After this, go through the complete setup again and plug things in along the way.  Hope this helps.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

NerveGear
    edited January 29
    Thank you for your advices  @TomCgcmfc !

I don't really check what you write sorry, cause I see on reddit forum a solution, working for me (waiting better , support ticket is open) .
    I create a "Super admin" Windows profile (or hidden admin) and install software from this new session.
    >no error message, no need to update W10 (!?), and Quest is connecting as Rift S with Oculus Link ;)

So the issue is about admin rights ?

PS : using "execute as administrator" from user session not working in case you ask
  • phillabustphillabust Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    how about a quick hot-fix patch to the oculus software to stop it from incorrectly displaying this message for people who have windows 10?

I'm not an expert, but this seems like the most logical solution to the problem..

asking us to jump through all these hoops to fix it ourselves is like... if i bought a tv from best-buy, and brought it home, and it didn't work properly, then the best-buy employees sent me a saudering kit and instructions on how to trouble-shoot and fix it myself..

just get the annoying blue message off the top of my oculus software, I'm not gonna go through the entire setup process and re-download all my games just because there's an annoying blue message at the top that shouldn't be there..

Maybe I'm way out of line here, but it's just a blue message. as far as i can tell, they are still supporting our version of windows, because we are on the latest version of windows 10. So how far are you willing to go to remove a blue message?
    Brain Burst
    how about a quick hot-fix patch to the oculus software to stop it from incorrectly displaying this message for people who have windows 10?

I'm not an expert, but this seems like the most logical solution to the problem..

asking us to jump through all these hoops to fix it ourselves is like... if i bought a tv from best-buy, and brought it home, and it didn't work properly, then the best-buy employees sent me a saudering kit and instructions on how to trouble-shoot and fix it myself..

just get the annoying blue message off the top of my oculus software, I'm not gonna go through the entire setup process and re-download all my games just because there's an annoying blue message at the top that shouldn't be there..

Maybe I'm way out of line here, but it's just a blue message. as far as i can tell, they are still supporting our version of windows, because we are on the latest version of windows 10. So how far are you willing to go to remove a blue message?
    I would just like to say my problem was solved by entering BIOS and doing a windows system check fixed it. The only reason I hated it is because I was always showing it off to people and it just ruined the good look. And please don't be rude about it. I'm not saying you were but I just don't want toxicity here.

• phillabustphillabust Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I would just like to say my problem was solved by entering BIOS and doing a windows system check fixed it. The only reason I hated it is because I was always showing it off to people and it just ruined the good look. And please don't be rude about it. I'm not saying you were but I just don't want toxicity here.

No toxicity here, just my opinion on the matter. You're spot on, it's a giant blue eye-sore at the top of the platform. Maybe they could just add a little "x" on it so we can just get rid of it. I'm not sure there's any message that's important enough to be permanently installed at the top of the gaming platform. This would be useful for this and any future messages, whether they are displayed incorrectly or not.