cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S static noise with headphones

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

when I use headphones with the Rift S, I hear a disturbing static/crackling noise. Even at low volume or mute. I can hear almost no static noise when I connect the headphones directly to my PC (only at very high volume). Does anyone else have this problem?
11 REPLIES 11

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @hl_cel, are you noticing any audio distortion with the built-in speakers or is it only with the external headphones? We are aware of an issue that may cause poor audio quality in your Rift S. We are actively working on a fix to address this but currently don't have an ETA. Thanks! -Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
@OculusSupport it is obvious you are all rather busy right now, however to restore and keep the faith of your Users I highly recommend you make a Closed Sticky Announcement on all RIFT S issues without comments enabled.
BTW the RIFT still has an issue with the Touch Battery Usage as once they get to 50% they stop working. Also they have been known to kick out our Focus of the Game which can lead to e.g. losing your Ship in Elite:Dangerous! 
Stuff needs: - 
1. Acknowedged by an Announcement all can refer to rather than trying to fix it themselves for days!
2. Fixed!
3. Add UserVoice to the Forum Page as a Fast Link!
4. Develop all things we complain of e.g. Guardian; Reset View via 2 Thumbsticks; Strafing in Home; More movement for Expressive Avatars (mouth & eyebrows) whilst eyes should track nearest speaking player.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Rick,

i notice the same distortion with the built-in speakers but it is not as obvious as with headphones. I think it is because of the overall low volume of the speakers. Oh, and when i set the volume to 50% or more i hear a crackling noise with the speakers when sound is playing.

I don't had this problem with the build-in headphones of the Rift CV1

I have to know if this is a common problem that you can fix with an update or if it is caused by a faulty unit or bad shielding of the Rift S.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I looks like I am the only one with this problem. When I connect my headphones (3.5mm or USB) directly to my PC I do not hear any interference. Then the Rift is probably broken. What a %?§&!.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the same problem, when hooking up low quality headphones, like ear buds, it is almost not noticeable, but with closed back it is really disturbing, did you find a solution or did you return the Rift S?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I returned the Rift S. I bought a new Rift S last week that does not have this problem. The only thing I hear now when there is no sound is the quiet static white noise.

AngryWombat
Honored Guest
Same problem with original Oculus Rift, static (popping noises) only present with built in headphones. 

MarcoPolo261
Honored Guest
This just started happening to my Rift S is there any solution, I just got my Rift S a month ago and I don't want to return it

XTib3R
Honored Guest
I have got similar issue with my Oculus Rift S where left side of my own headphones do not play when plugged into Rift's 3.5 jack - I have to push the headphone jack a bit forward for both headphones to start woking. So it seems there is a loose connection to 3.5 jack inside the headset....