cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Freezing Quest

Happyduckk
Explorer
So yesterday (11/22) I was using the Link for ours and I had no issues, but today any oculus link games are freezing inside the headset. The games are perfectly fine on my PC, but the headset will freeze and I'll need to power off/restart the headset in order for it to do anything again.
Anybody else having this problem? :Has anyone found a fix for this?
Thanks 🙂

P.S: . I have made sure that no cables are disconnected when the freezing occurs.
        . I have a high-end PC, so specs aren't the problem
        . This has occurred with all of my Link compatible games, not just one specific game.
        . I have the recommended Anker USB cable, so hopefully that isn't the issue
161 REPLIES 161

Chrempento
Honored Guest

I just started to 'use' link, and it's happening to me as well, basically after a few seconds, every time. 😞

Meanwhile I received the Anker cable from Amazon, and to my shock it works PERFECTLY. I never had another freeze since I started to use that cable, even though I played for hours with Boneworks.

Previously I used a seemingly good quality USB 3.2 Gen 1 cable from a local shop, and everything was green across the board in the Oculus software.

So it seems it's entirely possible to have a cable issue despite the software telling you that the connection is fine. (But I still suspect that the data connection could be engineered to be more robust and error tolerant.)

I am also using the Anker cable that was recommended by Oculus and I'm still having freezing. I played for about 10 minutes through the Oculus software on my PC before my headset froze, but it's still entirely possible and probable that it is a beta bug (I hope so anyway).

PWal83
Protege
I'm also using the Anker cable and still freezing, I think it's a software issue as people with different cables and hardware are having this problem. Hope a fix comes soon as I really want to enjoy PC VR. 

LordZeroGameMas
Protege
 Same. 

I have been playing Asgard's Wrath and after a while the Quest randomly freezes the image. I have to disconnect the cable, connect it again for it to work. 

It's weird since the headtracking and hand tracking are still working, is just the image that stays frozen.

After it happens once, it starts happening more often.

I believe it might be a software issue that allows the headset to overheat. 

TheRealDuDiKo
Explorer
Im starting to get worried that the cause of this issue is poor quality hardware.
I actually bought the official cable for 80 bucks. I sure hope it'll worth it becuase if not, i'm gonna sell my unit and never come back to oculus.
One thing i'll never accept are broken promises. If it'll come to the point where oculus will say that the Link sw will never be released as a final product, i will never trust them again.
I sure hope i am wrong..

PWal83
Protege
I'm sure oculus are working hard on getting the link software working and stable, I think they may of rushed the release to get it out for Christmas but I'm sure they are doing their best to fix things. Hopefully we get an update soon, I wouldnt worry just yet

LordZeroGameMas
Protege

PWal83 said:

I'm sure oculus are working hard on getting the link software working and stable, I think they may of rushed the release to get it out for Christmas but I'm sure they are doing their best to fix things. Hopefully we get an update soon, I wouldnt worry just yet

I wonder. It has been a month already with no updates whatsoever. 

Does the beta branch of the PC software break Link again ? I haven't tried turning off Beta since December.

TheRealDuDiKo
Explorer
Being a software programmer, for 10 years now, though not doing stuff nearly as complex as making something like the quest, i can understand that it takes time to produce a gem of a software. Its not that i dont think that they should have their time to develop, its the fact that they released it in the current state just for the holidays. There's also the dev methodology of "move fast and break stuff". This is accepted as long as the original promise is kept. I can understand a good marketing strategy and why it is inevitable to act on it, but it shouldn't make you betray your fatefull clients.
Again i want to say it, the quest an AMAZING technology. Especially the emphesis on the fact that it is a real standalone device.
The cable should arrive in the next month. Im crossing my fingers.. 🙂

LordZeroGameMaster - I tried opting in and opting out of the open beta. The queat keepa crashing all the same.

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege

PWal83 said:

I wonder. It has been a month already with no updates whatsoever. 

Does the beta branch of the PC software break Link again ? I haven't tried turning off Beta since December.

Afaik yes, if you opt in beta branch with the pc app, link will break because there is no update for the quest device itself.
Anyways is still quite broken, freezing and disconnecting often.
I am afraid i made a very bad deal. If link will not be released in one or two months, working the way they promised, i sell the quest and quit oculus forever. 

piero_montas
Honored Guest
OK Guys i have good news ive been using link since it came out and first i got the anker 6ft cable works flawlessly since the begining then i decided to get a longer cable so i  bought the same cable 10ft and is starting to freeze on me  at 1st i thought there was something with my computer but after trying both cables i can say that my problem is the longer cable not sure if i should keep the 10 ft cable or get my money back not sure if this is something they will fix on the next update.

TheRealDuDiKo
Explorer
Well this certainly gives more points towards the option that the cable is indeed the issue.
But, i believe some1 here claims that he has the official cable and still gets the freezes.
Also, how the hell do you play with such a short cable? I mean even seated experience must be a drag since you cant freely move your head 360 without worrying that you might accidently damage the cable/connectors. 
10ft cable is minimum for me even for seated experience.
Anyways as i said before, i was able to buy the original cable. Now i have to play the waiting game lol..
Just another thought, if this is indeed a cable issue, and the cable is still new and has a low availability, how come there r so few people complaining about this issue?
Im still afraid that my unit is defective somehow..
I sure hope ill be proven wrong on this one..