cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift S is by far the worst tech I have ever dealt with.

YOUR_REAL_DAD
Explorer
Just a bit of an angry rant due to purchasing what has amounted to a 649aud paper weight.

When purchasing this headset, nowhere does it mention that a SPECIFIC TYPE of USB 3 is required. After nearly 15 hours of troubleshooting this piece of shit still will not work. After trying literally everything and having more than the required specs, it still fails to work. 

USB Compatible
USB Incompatible
Headset Sensor Check Failed.

Been with Oculus since the DK2 days, and this garbage Rift S has convinced me to buy a different headset.
47 REPLIES 47

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
What type of USB 3 does it require? (I have the regular rift)
Or do you mean you only have USB-2 ports?
If you do have USB3 ports it might just be your motherboard USB ports that cannot supply the juice
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

YOUR_REAL_DAD
Explorer
Yeah ive tried everything. It started off ok even though I have the ASMedia USB 3.0, but the headset sensor check failed. So i bought a PCIe USB 3.0 card, that did't work.

Tried both driver tytpes on the PCIe Card, they didnt work.
Updated BIOS, that didn't work.
Disabled USB 3 Legacy support in BIOS, that didn't work.
Updated GPU drivers, that didn't work.
Re installed Oculus software 5 times, that did'nt work.
Tried generic microsoft USB 3 drivers, that didn't work.
Plugged and unplugged the rift 400 thousand times, that didn't work.
Tried powered USB hub, that didn't work.
Went through Oculus Support, that didn't work.
Enabled camera privacy settings, that didn't work.
Disable USB power management, that didn't work.
Fresh install of Windows, that didn't work.

Come to the conclusion that this "plug and Play" headset is in fact a piece of hot garbage.......Well that did work.

I am returning it 100% and never coming near Oculus again. A plug and play product should not have this many issues.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I believe the original Rift (CV1) is of much better quality than Rift-S, you could consider getting a CV1 (the CV1 sound is incredible). I just bought another one, in case my old one gets in trouble 😉

I constantly turn my CV1 on and off - off when I use the Index - but it's never been a problem, CV1 seems as steady as a usb flash drive, it always gets detected with no errors. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

VR2018FR
Expert Protege

Yeah ive tried everything. It started off ok even though I have the ASMedia USB 3.0, but the headset sensor check failed. So i bought a PCIe USB 3.0 card, that did't work.

Tried both driver tytpes on the PCIe Card, they didnt work.
Updated BIOS, that didn't work.
Disabled USB 3 Legacy support in BIOS, that didn't work.
Updated GPU drivers, that didn't work.
Re installed Oculus software 5 times, that did'nt work.
Tried generic microsoft USB 3 drivers, that didn't work.
Plugged and unplugged the rift 400 thousand times, that didn't work.
Tried powered USB hub, that didn't work.
Went through Oculus Support, that didn't work.
Enabled camera privacy settings, that didn't work.
Disable USB power management, that didn't work.
Fresh install of Windows, that didn't work.

Come to the conclusion that this "plug and Play" headset is in fact a piece of hot garbage.......Well that did work.

I am returning it 100% and never coming near Oculus again. A plug and play product should not have this many issues.

just try older drivers : here are my oculus drivers files  from october 5th taken from my offline computer maybe it will help ?
here are the links of the files you can download from  my google drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ci5-Lepj3hV4bphwZGxv0lvNw6EGwiDO?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I4TyDIymDwMV3RWuTZJYDU-HywriAYfW?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1se7OliWdRfmFn_dbtzg1pMM00qLNxVWl?usp=sharing

just replace the files  in your  c:\programmes\oculus\support\ 

reboot your computer ,click on the oculus  launcher that will detect those drivers are not up to date and  it will start again to update with latest drivers, and it will work like a charm ( except that i cannot access the oculus home)

PS : I previously followed the method posted  on redit : https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoy744/rift_s_display_port_not_found_fix_driver_rollback/

and it worked and stopped working and worked and stopped and so on, now with my former files from my offline computer it  seems to be  stable.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I believe the original Rift (CV1) is of much better quality than Rift-S, you could consider getting a CV1 (the CV1 sound is incredible). I just bought another one, in case my old one gets in trouble 😉

I constantly turn my CV1 on and off - off when I use the Index - but it's never been a problem, CV1 seems as steady as a usb flash drive, it always gets detected with no errors. 

Just don't get the CV1 all sweaty. I made a big mistake playing Thrill Of the Fight and doing 9 Rounds of 3 min boxing for a week. It cause the headband padding to peel off at the back. I then stuck it down with Gorilla glue and found out my left side audio no-longer worked  :'(

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
The original rift isn't that good compared to what's hitting the market these days, it's like comparing an Athlon processor to the Ryzen 3rd gen and in any case Oculus  threw it overboard and no longer cares for it, no replacement parts no support. Would you really buy something else from a Co. that leaves thousands of peoples who believed in them in the ditch? I'm not, when my rift break i'm either buying a Valve or a Pimax

To the Op, have you tried it in someone else's computer? Or if you have another machine you can swap your rift capable parts into to try it out, that way you would at least know if it's the rift or your PC

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

Just don't get the CV1 all sweaty. I made a big mistake playing Thrill Of the Fight and doing 9 Rounds of 3 min boxing for a week. It cause the headband padding to peel off at the back. I then stuck it down with Gorilla glue and found out my left side audio no-longer worked  :'(

That sounds bad - maybe you can use some bluetooth headphones? I just got a new facial interface, but that's for the front, not sure I've ever seen replacements for the back... Also got a new (refurbished) CV1 (with all cables, but no sensors or Touch) for $170, maybe you can find a similar deal - good headphones easily become expensive. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Been using headphones on mine 4 months after I got it out of the box, the left ear just went bye bye so I took them off of the headset been using headphones ever since.
We're getting off topic though  😐

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

That sounds bad - maybe you can use some bluetooth headphones? I just got a new facial interface, but that's for the front, not sure I've ever seen replacements for the back... Also got a new (refurbished) CV1 (with all cables, but no sensors or Touch) for $170, maybe you can find a similar deal - good headphones easily become expensive. 

Would Bluetooth headphones work? Did you get your refurbished headset from Oculus?

@kobs57 - What headset do you use? I can find a lead long enough. The guy won't mind it's off topic because he's returned his Rift S  🙂