cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony to unveil PSVR 2 for PS5 (leak)

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Sony had a big surprise in store for its PS5 event, but a huge leak might’ve just spoiled it

Apparently, the new PlayStation VR 2 headset will be unveiled this year, and it could be announced alongside the highly anticipated PS5. We’ve always suspected that a new PSVR was in the making, a system that could leverage the more sophisticated PS5 hardware. And, if a developer called Immersive VR Education is to be believed, the next-gen PlayStation VR device will be unveiled this year.
“In 2020, Sony will release PlayStation 5 and a new version of the PlayStation VR headset (PSVR), which will further expand the high-end VR user base – the group intends to support this device with its current software package,” Immersive wrote in a financial report, TechBriefly says

PSVR2 paired with the more powerful PS5 would be a big deal. It would bring real VR to the masses at an affordable price without the need for a PC. I would expect the PS5 to be as powerful as a 1080ti / 2070. If the PSVR 2 has properly controllers and Rift S resolution, it could be a very impressive VR device. 

Do you think the PSVR 2 will have a major impact on VR? Will it hurt PCVR or help it through ports and by acting as a gateway drug?

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
34 REPLIES 34

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Might be time to update my Nintendo 64, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How many more PS rumours are there going to be? I've given up listening to them now because had I taken them seriously then I would be playing on a PS 5 today.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

Do you think the PSVR 2 will have a major impact on VR? Will it hurt PCVR or help it through ports and by acting as a gateway drug?

More and more sources seem to be pointing to the fact that the rumored PSVR2 might become reality. A prototype using a non-Eyetoy tracking system was reported to have been seen at Sony R&D (the VR side of Sony now being lead wholly from Japan after shuttering the London teams).

Many had felt that Sony would not want to confuse their PS5 launch with a new VR peripheral, but a number of reliable sources have stated that Sony are making active noises to developers that a new VR system is in the wings - and will be wireless so offering a major alternative to the Quest.

If they do decide to release this system along with the PS5 then this will have incredible impact on the shape of the VR market, and could be the injection needed to keep VR console focused away from what impact on the PC VR scene HL:A will have.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Yep. I never had any doubt that a new PSVR 2 would be released.

Afterall, Sony has sold more VR HMD's than anyone else (according to their self-reported sales). Sony acquired Insomiac games, which was another clue as to future PSVR content. I already plan to purchase the PS5, and I'll definitely be getting the PSVR 2.

To answer your question, I feel like there's a bit more chicken vs egg scenario going on. Here's my quick take:
  • PSVR 1 did not have a major impact on VR compared to the Oculus Quest, which really seems to have taken the world by storm as a VR HMD.
  • The Oculus Quest is likely the 'gateway drug' that PSVR 2 will benefit from.
To clarify point 1 above, even though PSVR 1 has reported more individual VR HMD sales than any other unit, volume is still low (measured in low millions, not '10s of millions' nor '100s of millions), and so the overall global consumer impact has been minimal. Resident Evil is still the best thing on PSVR 1.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Can't wait for PS5 and PSVR2! That would be amazing. 

I would only get PSVR2 though if they have improved it in every way and created their own proper controllers which are equal to Touch/Knuckles.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

PSVR2 paired with the more powerful PS5 would be a big deal. It would bring real VR to the masses at an affordable price without the need for a PC. I would expect the PS5 to be as powerful as a 1080ti / 2070.

It would be interesting to see if a Standalone (wireless) Sony PSVR2 would scare the current management of the VR manufacturers - especially considering the coming of the end of the AAA exclusive route to encourage sales. While Sony still has deep pockets to support key projects.

Remember that many in the VR community tried to claim that OculusVR was working with Microsoft on the new Xbone system only for that rumor to be quashed firmly by MS. It would be interesting if the other aspect of the PSVR2 rumor is true and that Samsung are directly involved in this new system. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Can't wait for PS5 and PSVR2! That would be amazing. 

I would only get PSVR2 though if they have improved it in every way and created their own proper controllers which are equal to Touch/Knuckles.

Yeap, thumbsticks on their VR controllers is a must and a better tracking system as the present one works just about for seated vr, i mean i am enjoying borderland 2 VR with the joypad, i did try the aim controler but the drift on that thing is a joke, never been able to get it to keep from drifting at random times, but i think it is made all the worse by the fact i have the CV1 and Vive and their controller tracking is almost perfect, but at least we know our present hardware will work with the PS5, so that is something.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

inovator
Consultant
Psvr especially if wirless would contribute greatly to the vr market in my opinion. If it were wireless and a big success it would encourage the development of wirless being the way to go from the ground up. I will be in line for the purchase along with my pcvr headsets. I had many good times with playstation vr exclusives including resident evil 7. Any vr game offered on PC  was a no brainer for me because of the superior tracking etc.

An announcement on this before the Xbox release would be nice.  I've gone Xbox since the beginning but a good VR system would drag me away.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3