cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift S is by far the worst tech I have ever dealt with.

YOUR_REAL_DAD
Explorer
Just a bit of an angry rant due to purchasing what has amounted to a 649aud paper weight.

When purchasing this headset, nowhere does it mention that a SPECIFIC TYPE of USB 3 is required. After nearly 15 hours of troubleshooting this piece of shit still will not work. After trying literally everything and having more than the required specs, it still fails to work. 

USB Compatible
USB Incompatible
Headset Sensor Check Failed.

Been with Oculus since the DK2 days, and this garbage Rift S has convinced me to buy a different headset.
47 REPLIES 47

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Box VR always makes me sweat too, but I have not used that app for long, lol. 

Having used both oled and lcd for the last 6 months, I really need an oled display, and preferably one that supports asw 2.0 for the demanding games. You need it for the games using or greatly profiting from temporal antialiasing - and for the blacks - and for making low res textures look great due to the SDE (who'd have thought I'd ever grow to like the SDE). It's either CV1 or Quest for Asgard's Wrath, Stormland and I'd say Saint's & Sinners too. And if the Lone Echo 2 trailer is like the game, then we're in for more temporal antialiasing. Sure Lone Echo can be played using Index, but jaggies are everywhere - until you activate 4xMSAA and high levels of super sampling, but then I'm way below 45 fps using Index, and I doubt 3080 Ti will be strong enough to reach 90 fps. Temporal antialiasing removes all jaggies and looks perfect using CV1, but it destroys image quality and makes everything extremely blurry using lcd hmds. Stormland looks perfect using CV1 ss 2.0 + TAA, but getting Index to look similarly requires tons of gpu power, not even sure res 200% + SMAA (Stormland does not support 4xMSAA) will get me there - but then we're talking 3080 Ti or better again. Much easier to use CV1 with TAA, asw 2.0 and ss 2.0 😉

So it's either CV1 or Quest - and then you can add whatever lcd hmd you'd like for fun 😉 The greatest error Valve made was not to use oled for the Index, but of course I do appreciate the subpixels and no SDE in the very few games that so far have been thoroughly optimized for the Index (Pistol Whip and Boneworks) - and all the other bright games that work flawlessly nonetheless. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yeah Bluetooth sucks for most things, imo. I use Bluetooth headphones at the gym but only because the delay doesn't harm anything in that situation. I'm able to listen to music hands-free while hitting the weights. Other than that, I tend to avoid Bluetooth entirely.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well if Bluetooth turns out to be shite then that's me in the shite. I don't want to have to use a wired headset on my CV1 because it just adds another cable and another extension cable. So is Bluetooth shite for gaming in VR or just in movies where you notice lip sync?

Btw, I’m not a big fan of vr boxing games because flailing around without actually hitting something does not do anything for me.  If I find the need to beat the crap out of something I just take it out on my boxing/martial arts dummy, lol!

The problem with using a dummy is that it doesn't throw punches back to test your agility to block a punch. It's not just flailing about playing some of these VR boxing games, it's like what they call shadow boxing only it's better then that and is good for training. Not good if it's going to make your VR headset fall apart though like it has mine 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
The problem with using a dummy is that it doesn't throw punches back to test your agility to block a punch. It's not just flailing about playing some of these VR boxing games, it's like what they call shadow boxing only it's better then that and is good for training.

hmm, no offense but something tells me that you probably haven't done much combat training, based on what you just said right there. I've done plenty of combat training IRL, against real people and dummies. And I've racked up many hours in VR Boxing games like Creed. One thing I can tell you for sure, is that nothing about what is happening with the current state of VR Boxing is going to help increase your ability to block a punch or test your agility.

Humans are not scripted dude. And VR Boxing won't prepare you for someone who is holding your hands while they proceed to headbutt you; or drop you on your arse with a leg sweep.

VR Boxing is only good for one thing: Burning calories via a cardio exercise.

But the biggest mistake with your comment is that it completely overlooks the benefit of conditioning ones body to withstand "impact." Go punch a dummy with all your strength for just 30 minutes, and see how many different parts of your body end up sore as hell. Shadow boxing does absolutely nothing to prepare ones muscles for "impact," which is the Number 1 requirement for all physical combat.

I strongly recommend that anyone avoid fighting IRL if your only training is a VR boxing video game omg

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Thanks Zen, I agree with all that.  I still enjoy beating the crap out of a training dummy once in a while so I can help keep a little zip in my punches.  Also, at my age it's nice that they usually do not hit back (mines on a weighted sand filled base so it sometimes rocks back at me).  

At least Rizz should be developing strong neck muscles if he is using his Reverb's heavy ball and chain of a cable, lol!  

In my competitive wrestling days I used to be able to 'neck bridge' so well I was pretty hard to pin.  Now that I'm an old fart I'm hard pressed to neck bridge my bum off the ground. lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm in my early 40's, but I still hit the bag often. I don't punch much anymore to help save my wrists; but I do throw lots of elbows, knees, and kicks.

I know the benefits of hitting a real object vs merely doing a cardio routine, as I've learned it the hard way when I took over a year off of training and tried to elbow a bag. The impact rocked my spine, and I was struggling to continue hitting with the same force/speed because while my arms could take it, my back/spine could not. After 6+ weeks of torture though, my body was back in business and I can attack a bag for an hour without feeling like my upper body is going to crumble.

But personal experience aside, the real pro's in the world of Boxing, MMA, etc, have been using 'impact training' for years to do everything from cardio, conditioning, and developing punching power. The Sledgehammer/Tire routine is probably my favorite workout of all time.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
There's also a review of 14 headphones for VR here, both wired and wireless:

https://www.techconsumerguide.com/best-headphones-for-oculus/

The wireless headphones use Bluetooth, seems like the reviewer did not notice latency, but the Koss model does support the AptX low latency tech, not sure the Sennheiser model does though. Again, I have not tried these headphones, maybe a good idea to buy from a shop where you can return them without too much hassle... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Zenbane - I used to do a bit of Boxing down at the gym when I was younger and I watch my cousin fight who is right into his Boxing. Creed isn't a good boxing game but "Thrill of the Fight" in VR is quite a good test of ones agility to duck out of the way of certain punches. There are only a certain amount of punches and combinations you can throw in boxing otherwise you would be flailing your arms about like Tom suggested. I know outside of a boxing ring things are different I've had my fair share to know what it's like.

I said a test dummy doesn't hit back as a joke. I know what a punch bag is there for and how it serves many other purpose like moving in and out of it for one. 

@RuneSR2 - I'm going to try some Bluetooth ones and I'll let you know how I get on just incase you ever need them. I don't think it will be that noticeable in games because I once got some to watch movies and the lip sync was only slightly out. I think it's probably in films that it is most annoying, but I can always send them back if they are no good. I appreciate the link you put up. Cheers!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
All Bluetooth headsets have some latency.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

All Bluetooth headsets have some latency.

Have you tried this technology? I think it will be alright for gaming like the fella says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYCRRnvNv0