cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Headset no longer detects HDMI

kevilay
Honored Guest
Hello,

My oculus rift recent just stopped working. No matter what I do the HDMI doesn't get detected. The little light at the top of the headset turns on & sound plays through. I contacted oculus support and unfortunately all they could suggest was for me to buy a referb one for 350$. They said I could also turn to the forums for help. I've had it for 2 years and I've put it into the original packaging every time I was done with it. It looks brand new and is perfect condition. 

Some things i've tried:
Using a different PC
Reinstalling oculus software
Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable
inspecting cable for any damage.

I am hoping someone can help me trouble shoot this. It was working when put away then next time I went to use it it was not functional. I am an electrical engineering, so I have no issues soldering or working with circuit boards. Right now I cant afford a new unit so I really hope I can fix this.

Thanks,
Kevin Lay
12 REPLIES 12

kevilay
Honored Guest
bump

kevilay
Honored Guest
Extra bump

anthonyr87
Honored Guest
me and my friend are both having this problem right now, worked fine until the latest firmware update.... They really need to stop forcing their unstable crap on us. Does it have a yellow light instead of white light? Seems like they broke a ton of headsets

kevilay
Honored Guest
thats interesting. Im was assuming that my headset is damaged somehow. I havent been able to use it for months. Oculus support has been extremely poor. They more less told me to reinstall, try a different computer, and visually look at the cable. Now they say they can't help me and to buy a refurbed unit. Its honestly very disappointing because this is not exactly a throw away and buy new device

Richooal
Consultant
@kevilay I know you said that you tried "Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable". I'm just curious, did you re-seat both ends of the cable or just the PC end?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

kevilay
Honored Guest
I have tried both ends. But good question 😉

kevilay
Honored Guest
bump, any suggestions? 

Richooal
Consultant
It's always difficult with the "worked fine before, now nothing" scenario. It's hard to suggest anything at all.
So here goes (with another possibly silly suggestion).

When I set up my Rift two and a half years ago my HDMI cable also did not show up green, but all the USB connections were fine (Headset and 2 sensors).
I remember connecting all the USB plugs first and then the HDMI plug. Strangely enough, when I took out the 2 headset plugs and inserted the HDMI first, USB second, I got all green indicators.

I suppose anything is worth a try right now. Good luck.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

kevilay said:

bump, any suggestions? 

Try taking power off your PC and re-seat your GPU card (assuming you have a desktop pc).  Also check that your nvidia driver is fairly up to date.  I'm using 436.38 and this works fine for me.  Good luck mate.

Edit; also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your top line says to prefer using your high powered nvidia gpu.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers