cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift S is by far the worst tech I have ever dealt with.

YOUR_REAL_DAD
Explorer
Just a bit of an angry rant due to purchasing what has amounted to a 649aud paper weight.

When purchasing this headset, nowhere does it mention that a SPECIFIC TYPE of USB 3 is required. After nearly 15 hours of troubleshooting this piece of shit still will not work. After trying literally everything and having more than the required specs, it still fails to work. 

USB Compatible
USB Incompatible
Headset Sensor Check Failed.

Been with Oculus since the DK2 days, and this garbage Rift S has convinced me to buy a different headset.
47 REPLIES 47

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

TomCgcmfc said:

All Bluetooth headsets have some latency.

Have you tried this technology? I think it will be alright for gaming like the fella says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYCRRnvNv0

It might also be a factor if you're just into some casual gaming or trying to win the CSGO World Championship 2020  B)

I have 16 ms input lag using the plasma for pancakes, but 32 ms when I enable more enhanced image processing - the 32 never bothered me, but I'm into casual gaming. Sound may not be similar, but some of the best AptX headphones are close to 30 ms.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

NextWorldVR
Protege

kobs57 said:

Been using headphones on mine 4 months after I got it out of the box, the left ear just went bye bye so I took them off of the headset been using headphones ever since.
We're getting off topic though  😐

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@Zenbane - I used to do a bit of Boxing down at the gym when I was younger and I watch my cousin fight who is right into his Boxing. Creed isn't a good boxing game but "Thrill of the Fight" in VR is quite a good test of ones agility to duck out of the way of certain punches. There are only a certain amount of punches and combinations you can throw in boxing otherwise you would be flailing your arms about like Tom suggested. I know outside of a boxing ring things are different I've had my fair share to know what it's like.

Ah good to know, I should pick up Thrill of the Fight. So far I've only trying Creed and that League game that is kinda like Tyson's Punchout! But I've heard great things about Thrill of the Fight.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

CV1 is a bit to old now to start buying it used. 

Haven't tested my spare CV1 that much, did smell slightly of some dude's aftershave, lol - but then I swapped out the facial interface and it feels much like new. Plastic hasn't gone white yet, I guess it's much newer than my original CV1. Also the colors were much deeper - just tried Oculus Home - so I think my original CV1 has been burning oled for many more hours than my new refurbished CV1, lol. In short, if you know a used CV1 hasn't been used much, getting one might not be a bad idea... But it won't be £26, looking forward to your review! 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Yeah, if this Bluetooth is really bad then I probably will be tempted to get another Oculus CV1, but only if it's in good condition. Sounds like you got it for a good price. Did the one you got include Touch controllers and sensors or was it just the headset and leads?

I'm also a bit weiry about Oculus maybe stopping support for outside in tracking at some point. Not that they said they are going to do this, but if they are doing inside out tracking now so will they continue to support outside in?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Yeah, if this Bluetooth is really bad then I probably will be tempted to get another Oculus CV1, but only if it's in good condition. Sounds like you got it for a good price. Did the one you got include Touch controllers and sensors or was it just the headset and leads?

I'm also a bit weiry about Oculus maybe stopping support for outside in tracking at some point. Not that they said they are going to do this, but if they are doing inside out tracking now so will they continue to support outside in?

I doubt Oculus would stop supporting external tracking anytime soon - there might be 1 mill or more CV1s in use. Many not even 1 year old (CV1 was discontinued just 10 months ago - in March 2019). CV1 is still the dominating hmd according the Steam Hardware Survey - there are nearly twice as many as Rift-S. When Alyx arrives, the majority of players may indeed use the CV1 😉 There's so much focus on new hmds these days, but CV1 and the old Vive still count for more than 60% of all hmds on Steam. Rift-S is 18%, Index 7%. 

The refurbished CV1 I got ($170) had all cables, but no Touch or sensors - figured I don't need used Touch nor sensors - also both Touch and sensors can still be bought directly from Oculus - those parts are in stock:

https://www.oculus.com/rift/accessories/#currency-and-country?locale=en_US

Maybe I should get a new pair of Touch, lol - but history has taught me not to pile up too many spare parts, because the future has a way of bringing new stuff that keeps me from using the spares... The refurbished CV1 is just my "insurance" in case of problems with the headphones or cables, I might never used it...  

Right now we have games coming up that have been in development for years, so although the devs can optimize textures and lighting for lcd hmds, much of the art and design may have been done using oled hmds (like I believe is the case for Saints & Sinners, Vader Immortal, Asgard's Wrath and Stormland - maybe also Lone Echo 2 and Medal of Honor, we'll see). Until we get games built from the ground up using lcd hmds, I think having the ability to use an oled hmd is a must. I would not be surprised if most of the art and lighting in Alyx were made using oled hmds - but in March 2020 Valve has had about 9 months to make corrections (counting from Index launch date, still the game may have been in development for like 48 months - that's a lot of oled time... )

Tested using CV1 in Alyx: "The big surprise for me was how good it looked in the headset and I forgot how comfortable this headset is [... ] I really enjoyed playing on the original Rift" - and they loved the deep bass in the CV1 headphones even compared to both Index and the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap : (Jump to 26:18 if my timestamp doesn't work)

https://youtu.be/T54aGkkXfuc?t=1581

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - I've just watched a 30 mins YouTube video of someone speaking close up and I never noticed any lips sync issues going on with these £26.00 Bluetooth headphones. They don't even have the aptx technology you were talking about and I'm just using a Bluetooth 4.0 usb dongle. I have been told to download Netflix movie though because streaming can cause problems even without Bluetooth. I will test a Neflix movie streaming though just to see, but so far so far I'm amazed that these are working so well. 

Awesome, how is the sound quality compared to the CV1 headphones, especially for the bass? Hope they work in movies too - but it does sound (no pun intended) like you've successfully restored your CV1, congrats! 

They sound so much better. I'm also looking to order some with the aptx technology to now for my downstairs television.

Here's the other ones I'm looking to order that have the aptx technology. These have got excellent reviews on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IMKRQO8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5KKUR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what this guy has to say about them on YouTube. They seem excellent for the price so I couldn't resist maybe getting these too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRmdhDxQ-w

They do seem great according to the review, looking forward to hear your verdict. The only thing I'm worried about is the closed ear design, it can get really hot - but will depend on the games you play and room temperature.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Oh, and by the way OP, Real Dad, how's that Rift S problem you were having going for you? LOL.

If you read through the first page of this thread you will see that he gave up and returned it and is never coming back, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Oh, and by the way OP, Real Dad, how's that Rift S problem you were having going for you? LOL.

Nobody cares anymore, Ups, sorry Dad 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Yes, - and this thread has officially been hijacked and turned into the Bluetooth headphones thread  o:) In fact I just bought the SkullCandy Uproar, looking forward to try it!  B)